Would a high mileage f430 scare you? Just put a deposit on a car with 50k miles | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Would a high mileage f430 scare you? Just put a deposit on a car with 50k miles

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I was told that my car needed 25K worth of work. That entailed replacing the headers with Ferrari headers and changing ball joints and bushes.
    That was from a Ferrari dealer just recently when I was considering trading my 430 for a 458. I also got a big chuckle out of that one.
    I changed out the headers with Fabspeed headers and blankets, and replaced the ball joints that actually needed replacing for around 6K.
    I guess trying to establish a relationship with your Ferrari dealer can end up costing a whole lot of money.
    Believe me when I say that owning a 430 will not put you on a list for special treatment from any Ferrari dealer.
    Their valued customers are the ones that own a garage full of expensive Ferraris.
    I service my car at an independent shop. Always!

WATSON and Zed82 like this.
  2. bludvl

bludvl Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    Here is a beautiful F430. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/%24-113%2C000%21%21-2007--430-F1-Red-Tan-SPIDER-WITH-CARBON%21%21--11%2C300mi-WITH-CCBs%21%21%21.580190/

2006 F430 Spider, Rosso Corsa

3. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    yes that is a nice one. only $42k more than this one. and its a spyder (which personally dont like look at all.)

getting quotes on repair. update: Dealer is saying only item thats a priority is the tie rod. everything else can wait. the play in wheel bearing is very minor can wait. ​

4. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Also fyi Dealer said i can buy the warranty right now since mechanically other than fuel pump car is good. warranty doesn't cover any of the wore items. fact ferrari can sell me warranty right now is a good sign!

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don’t know that I would ignore bearing that is showing signs of wear. I’ve been the unfortunate passenger in a car that had a failed wheel bearing thankfully at low speed. So to me it would need replaced, otherwise at speed (Ferrari, enough said) a catastrophic failure would likely be fatal, to someone. Also the tie rod boots prevent the entry of moisture and dirt/debris into the lubricant for the tie rod ends, so again to me is a must replace item to prevent damage to the tie rod ends.

I never claimed to be a master mechanic, however I have 25 years experience using heavy machinery and equipment. I also have one of the most successful landscaping businesses in large part due to preventative maintainance on all equipment and vehicles resulting in significantly reduced down time. Basically if you take care of the ( insert mechanical whatever) it will take care of you.

If it were me I’d have little issue buying this car considering the selling dealer will remedy the fuel pumps, and given the quote for parts and using some basic understanding of labor guessing what that fee would be for less then 10k remedy the list you were provided. At this point I know I’d have sub $85k F430 with a fairly new clutch, new wheel bearings, new pads on the front, probably new pad and new disks on the rear, a new tie rod end, and 4 new boots, an alignment, and for now a crack free exaust and qualifies for the new power warranty. I’d likely ignore the damage to the underside of the diffuser and bumper unless it’s really bad.

I’d also know there are other electronics and items that could rear their head so I’d keep a bit back for those repairs. But Im sure I’d feel pretty good about both my purchase and the items I repaired and you’ll enjoy the car more. If you ignore items that need attention at best you will significantly devalue your car and at worst could cause an accident. If the cost of the repairs is too steep for you, even at an independant, I’d suggest a different make and model of car. I don’t mean to sound harsh but these cars are maintainance heavy and expensive to own but worth the investment everytime you take it out.

6. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks for that. I’ll get wheel bearings done then.

It’s only $550 each one. I’ll fine a good Indy to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Really torn if I should close this deal. 75k with 2 new

8. bludvl

bludvl Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    I
    I know what I would do.

9. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    If you´re expecting not to invest any money into new F430 ownership you are in for a surprise. Most of the F430s today have these kind of issues. Drop $5-6000 on it with a good Ferrari indy and you will have a solid machine.

10. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    paying for the car Thursday. your right guys.

my mechanic will do the following:

3 new wheel bearings, new rear rotors, break pads all around, tie rod.

combine that with 94% clutch life left, im in good shape!

billy.gif likes this.
  11. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    also just wanted to say again..THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS. I LOVE YOU GUYS!

going to Ferrari ppi really helped. its also nice ferrari is willing to selling me the power warranty on the car right now. says something about the car!

brookliner7 and billy.gif like this.
  12. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    And drive the hell out of it. Good luck!

13. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Remember, IF anything goes wrong with the car in the distant future, here's generally most recommended parties to get parts:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/

http://www.superformance.co.uk/

These 3 links have saved me probably few thousand of $ with my 360 compared to quoted part prices from official dealership. Brakes, lambda sensors, sparkplugs, filters, etc etc.

brookliner7 likes this.
  14. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Congrats on the purchase man you’ll love it. Just make sure you drive it whenever you can it’s never a non smiling inducing experience.

15. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    As I was saying before there is no guarantee that you wouldn’t buy something that costs more andnwouldnt need similar repairs. I think for the money you are getting a very good deal and know several issues are resolved starting out. This doesn’t mean other issues won’t pop up it’s still a 20+ year old car but your into the game lower then most and you have the added bonus that it’s already got some miles so you can drive it relatively guilt free.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    The higher the miles, the better.

17. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I don't have eat filet minion every night so when I do I really appreciate it. I don't understand people who make these cars daily drivers :)

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is where we differ. Like sex, why not eat filet minion every chance I get (actually a NY or rib steak for me but same idea)? I enjoy it every time AND I get enough experience to feel and appreciate the nuances.