to drain oil tank ? | FerrariChat

to drain oil tank ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by bertspeed, Apr 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    Do I need to drain the oil tank on a dry sump 308 as part of the routine oil change,it seems to have something resembling a drain plug underneath.

2. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    yes

Wade

3. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
  4. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
  5. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I remember doing oil changes on a couple of early euro 308's and I drained the tank by removing the sender. If I recall, there are not many threads for the sender and sometimes it was hard to seal. If that is the case with yours, I would find some kind of "T" adapter and use a plug in the adapter to drain the oil.

6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    so, do I need to remove the sender part 32 to drain oil from the oil tank of my drysump? Is that the only and correct way to drain the oil tank during an oil change?

Thank you very much

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    on my dry sump nr 32 is just a plug And i remve it for draining the oil. I also remove the plug frm the sump as there's ol in that as well

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    thank you very much.

yes, of course: You have to drain ALSO the tank, maybe it wasn't enough clear in my post

ciao

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    11 liter total capacity with filter?

10. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I use the distick as reference. As use 30 or 50 l il drums i really do nt know the actall quantity

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    GTO also used the sender as a drain plug. So what?

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If the car sits for an extended period of time before draining the oil, doesn't all the oil in the tank, except maybe a few ounces, drain into the sump. Wouldn't what's left be that small amount that is below the nipple where hose 20 attaches to the tank?

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If it is a well designed system, no. Not to say all are well designed. The tank really should have half or so of the oil in it at max drain down but packaging does not always allow that. 355 most will end up in the motor. TR does not.

At a cold start you don't want the crank turning in oil and you dont want the supply pump to starve.
    We had 2 LSR cars with high mounted oil tanks due to packaging requirements. We had ball valves on them to keep the oil in them for start up. Not really practical on a street car.

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Usually, but to drain out thru the strainer #20, the oil has to pass thru the small clearances in the high pressure oil pump and that can take a really long time (or even not happen). You really want to run the engine relative soon before draining the oil to get as much of the "junk" suspended up into the oil so it comes out with the oil. Also, there is a small volume at the bottom of the tank below the outlet of #20 where the heavier/nastier junk collects. If the choice is not doing an oil change at all or letting the engine sit for a long time to let all the oil run down into the sump thru #20, then via #20 is better -- but it isn't the best practice for regular service. JMO. (Of course, if you are resurrecting an engine from long disuse, you would drain the oil without running the engine, put new oil in it, then run, then drain again.)

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thanks, Brian. My experience with dry sump is limited to the 355. I usually warm up the motor then get the car up on jack stand. I pull the plug from the oil pan and let it drain over night. When I do that, if I pull the plug form the tank, very little comes out, probably less than the residual oil in the engine and oil radiator, and probably because I have left the pan drain over night. Since the mileage is low, oil still pretty clean, I just don't both with the tank any more. I measure what come out and replace that amount then top off if necessary. But that's the 355.

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #16 Albert-LP, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    I confirm: 11 liters, more or less (including oil filter change)

ciao

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    No sender on the 308 euro cars, just a screw (or what it is)

ciao

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    never saw the oil tank empty in my 308, nor after months

ciao

Hannibal308 likes this.