What's For Dinner? | Page 397 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Jdubbya get a vacu vin wine saver. Drink a glass or two. Use the pump and stoppers and store in the fridge.

The Original Vacu Vin Wine Saver with 2 Vacuum Stoppers – Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GA3KCE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_ikKyCb6TE3YG4

Agree on veal. I vaguely recall it was cheaper and more available as kids. We'd have veal cutlets from time to time. Now, you have to go to a specialty butcher or grocery store.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Steak in a cast iron skillet. Not a bad crust for inside cooking. 3" per side. Came out rare to medium rare.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Really? I've never looked for veal out in the "real world". I always get veal parm when I can at italian restaurants. I love it.

3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I made salmon salad sandwiches and clam chowder last night. Didn't feel like clearing the snow off truck to go out. Tonight is burger special at Triple O's. If it stops snowing, I'll venture out for one.

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have one similar to that Tom, just not a big fan of it. I think the wine tastes different after sitting for a day or so. Maybe it's just me? I know there are nitrogen ones out there too. It's not a big deal, I honestly don't drink much any more. It would be nice to have just a glass or two now and then.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Not the best, but look for those individual wines bottles/containers. Then you don't have to waste any.

tomc likes this.
  6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Never got into veal. We had it as a kid and it didn’t stick as something I really liked to the point of wanting it now.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    So...this place "Don and Charlie's" has became a bit of a restaurant crush for us. Went again a couple of days ago. They are closing after nearly 40 years in April...and I only recently discovered it...so we will be going once every week or two until it closes...this last visit we had:

Filet
    NYC Strip
    Au gratin Potato
    Baked Potato
    Creamed Spinach
    Roasted mushrooms
    Creamy coleslaw

We only ate a bit less than half at the restaurant. We brought home the rest and had another meal of the leftovers the next night. So two full meals out of this. And there was still enough beef, mushrooms and spinach to make a killer omelet 2 days later. So three dinners form this one trip to the restaurant.

The spread:

Rare, dry aged, prime-grade 12-ounce filet:

Dinner 3 out of this was an omelet (steak, creamed spinach, roasted mushrooms - added chives and parsley to the egg mixture):

I.T. Guy and tomc like this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It's possible, I do not have the most sophisticated wine palate!
    I don't know if it is possible to get good wines in a split (half bottle). Champagne, yes. Still wines, I don't know.
    T

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Bordeaux is available in all quality levels in 375ml. Its perhaps the most widely available in that format. Everything from First growths down to village/regional wines. When I used to buy a bunch of Bordeaux en primer, I would specify a number in differing formats, but always got a half case or case of favored wines in half bottles so that I could check in on the wine as it aged. Last vintage I bought a bunch of those was the 2005 vintage, and I finally finished those up last summer. So now stuck buying whatever is at the stores. I picked up ~10 half bottles of bordeaux last weekend at Total Wines, they had price points from $10 to $60 iirc.

Cali cabs and (to a lesser extent) pinot's and (to an even lesser extent) chards come in 375ml.

After that, its very slim pickings.

I have gone from the 1-2 bottle per night kinda guy 10 years ago, to a 1-2 glasses per week kinda guy...so I buy wines in smaller formats lately.

All that said, a decent stopper or vacuvin works well enough on younger wines to keep them for a day (or perhaps 2) before oxidation takes over. Its so much more cost-effective to buy 750ml bottles and do that...put them in the fridge overnight and pull out a couple of hours before you want a glass the next day works well enough...

[Tomc - fyi/btw - a "split" is a 187.5ml (like bubbly wines come in, we keep many around for Ania). A 375ml is a "half" or "demi" bottle.]

https://winefolly.com/tutorial/wine-bottle-sizes/

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Anyone here watch chef john from foodwishes on YouTube? Fantastic recipes and delivered in a style I find hypnotic and strangely addictive. I've made chicken riggies and Chinese chicken with cashews so far but watched him cook dozens and every one seems a winner

11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Nope, hadn't heard of him until now. Already checking his channel out, thanks for the recommendation. I watch a bunch of youtube cooking channels...very relaxing (almost asmr-like in some ways).

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, AzIt! Learned a few things. I always thought a split of champagne was half bottle.

When we were in France many years ago, we took a tour of the Moet caves. The tour hostess could only mildly hide her disappointment when she told us that the average Average only drank two bottles of bubbly on average. That was when my wife and I promised to try and get the national average closer to 3 bottles! We enjoy a lot of prosecco, cava, sparkling wine and champagne down here. Very refreshing when temps push triple digits.

Tortizza!
    Meatball Tortizza to be exact.

T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I like him! His voice and delivery is both entertaining and enjoyable. I like his video on zabaglione.

T

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes that's a great one. And only 3 ingredients, right? Sugar, yolks, marsala. I love his lemon granite. Water, sugar, lemon. Amazing what he does with so little

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There is a recipe of his that I tried, but I forget which. I don't watch many cooking videos on YouTube, but I like his, the dude who cooks on a Weber Q on his balcony in Brooklyn, and any video that involves someone cooking with a wok over a jet engine!

T

Edit - oh yeah, Gordon Ramsay is good too.

16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Homemade spaghetti and meatballs. Had Moms sauce in the freezer, so defrosted it. It was good.

I don't drink much wine. I might buy a bottle per year.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would have guessed Ferrari enthusiasts would be big fans of vino!
    T

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow. That's good looking grub. I'm showing my wife that picture of your steak the next time she grouses & threatens to put one of my creations in the microwave to cook it more! Does Ania like her steaks that rare? I kind of assumed that most ladies tend to like their steaks a bit more cooked than us fellas...T

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes I started watching g ram 1st. Only his cooking in his house though. Not the reality stuff w him yelling. Made his spicy Indian pancakes w potato stuffing and yogurt sauce. Excellent

20. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, Ania seems likes her beef rare (that was her filet). On a related note, she taught me something interesting that I didn't know about food...turns out Poland is pretty much ground zero for Beef Tartare. I had no idea. Her father makes it at home regularly, so she is used to eating completely raw beef. I don't have the guts (figuratively or literally) to make homemade beef tartare!

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think we discussed Ramsay's videos up-thread, and I agree. The videos are excellent, the reality TV is not to my taste...T

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You taught me something else today! Raw meat and raw eggs are a non -starter for the missus, so I've never been tempted to make it. Will have to try it at a restaurant some day.

T

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #9923 nerofer, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    It is indeed true that most Bordeaux are available in half-bottle, but that being said...
    half-bottles are usually frowned upon by the true wine amateurs, except for very young wines. The accepted general rule here is that the half-bottle is too small for the wine to mature properly, so, for any good wine, in a half-bottle you will probably get a wine that will not be fully developed as it would have in the standard 750ml bottle. Conversely, if bought for aging/keeping it in the cellar, the "magnum" (= 1,5 litre) is usually much sought after, as the wine - supposedly - ages better in a magnum.

And don't ever put a bottle of Bordeaux in a fridge in front of a frenchman without a Doctor in the room, because the frenchman will have a heart attack. The tradition is that a bottle, once opened, should be drunk in the one or two hours that follow ("Quand le vin est tiré, il faut le boire") and never, ever, put any good red in a fridge.

Of course we all can understand that half-bottles might make more sense if you don't intend to drink a standard one...but, well..."half-bottles" do not go well with real connaisseurs.

We won't dvelve into the art of carafing, but it is almost always beneficial to most wines, even the "small" ones; shape of the "carafe" being different for young and old wines (larger surface of exchange for young wines, smaller for older ones; time being shorter for young wines, somewhat longer for older wines, etc...) .

Rgds

Remeber also that in France, the name for the bottles of different sizes are not the same for all wines: the same bottle might get a different name depending on the wine that is inside (if these were the same, it would be too simple...)
    http://www.ge-rh.expert/la-taille-et-le-nom-des-bouteilles-de-vin/

tomc likes this.
  24. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I mostly drink at restaurants and bars. But now at those places, its mostly pop. We have very strict drinking and driving laws. Non criminal DUI kicks in at 0.05%. New rules, police don't need probable cause to pull you over and demand a breath sample. Its easier not to drink even a glass of wine.

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Made Indian again last night. Once again it was a ton of work...but sadly this time the food wasn’t nearly as tasty as last time...not sure why (1 dish was literally the same recipe). I dunno, I may stick to getting Indian at restaurants...

We made Butter Chicken and Naan again and added a cabbage dish this time in lieu of the spinach dish we had the last time.