Chrome Rear Cavalino Emblem | FerrariChat

Chrome Rear Cavalino Emblem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Anymac, Feb 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Anyone know where I can find a chrome sculpted Cavalino? I will keep my original black one but want to try this and see if I like it.

I see a store out of Sacramento on EBay but it lists every Ferrari model but TR so not sure it will fit. Ali express also has some but they don’t list models at all.

2. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Not sure where to find one but I agree with you completely. When I get my 512 I am seriously thinking about removing the black cavallino and replacing it with something a little more contrasting. Good luck with it I think it'll look great

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Standard chrome sculpted horsey from the 92-94 512TR fits perfectly. I have that on my Testarossa.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok likes this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#4 Ricambi America, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    blkdiablo33, turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m curious of the opposite question. Where to find an original (or original looking enough) black cavalino emblem?

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Still shown as a good part number so any Ferrari parts source should be able to get it. That is for the sculptured one. The black flat one I do not believe has been available since 1990 when they quit using them.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^ Yes --- the flat ones (the reproductions) are really pretty mediocre I think.

The sculpted ones 62948300 are ok, but I don't know how they'd be judged in a concours situation. I guess it really comes down to whatever the OP prefers on their car.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    TR never came with chrome so they are wrong. It's really that simple.

10. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Indeed. That’s why for the .00001% of my TR’s life that will be spent chilling getting picked apart at a concours I will bolt the original back on. The other 99.999% of the time she will enjoy her proud and tasteful enhancement which although an exterior bit also makes her feel good and proud of herself and heritage on the inside. #carselflove #cardoyou

Melvok likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think doing whatever you like is fine but to me chrome is out of place on a TR. It isn't a car that requires dressing up.

Anymac likes this.
  12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    imo the orig black tr emblem looks best on the car

13. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    #13 Anymac, Feb 13, 2019
    IMO this ultimately applies an inner aura thing. Some are more open to change than others. When a man first shaves or grows a beard half half say gross and half love it. If he keeps it eventually the beard will become the preferred standard.

Likewise if the TR came with a chrome one then for anyone to Black it out would be sacrilegious and the same people would be saying the TR is too much of a flagship to tone it down and that the chrome is just a small touch in perfect taste by Enzo. Whereas blacking it out is tacky. We re all such creatures of assimilation and easy bias.

By the way, it looks so right in this pick does it not? And we can’t say “but that is a 512” because to 99.99% of it is just a TR!

The point is that at some point even Ferrari didn’t see it as sacrilege to make it chrome. In fact they apparently considered it an enhancement. So kind of ironic that all of us arm chair QB’s would have some strong opinion one way or the other no?

Attached Files:

Shamile likes this.
  14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I have the chrome 512tr horsey on my Testarossa. I found the black one too subtle.

....but then again, I am a Lamborghini guy ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Melvok and Anymac like this.
  15. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    LOL. Well apparently you’re a Ferrari guy too! I’m an everything guy - love them all! No monogamous fanboyship over here

Shamile likes this.
  16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Yep...love all of them....even though they can be costly and a pain in the a** ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I will forgive you for not knowing the history but I remember it quite well. The TR 512 was an embarrassing failure for Ferrari. Technically it was a great car but we could not give them away. They were well aware of the problem even before they were released. The early feed back was a collective shoulder shrug. They changed the name, they dressed it up, they tried everything but it was a horrible commercial failure.

Hence the chrome horse. Its OK to like the chrome horse but lets keep it in perspective.

Melvok and Anymac like this.
  18. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    #18 Anymac, Feb 13, 2019
    Surely you’re not even slightly trying to attribute the 512’s sales woes to a horse and a few other subtle changes and improvements are you???

Talk about random.

9/10 people like the aesthetics of 512 over TR due to it looking more “modern”. Back when it came out it was also regarded as a refreshed Testarossa. And it remained flagship Ferrari. There is no way even 5% of people decide NOT to buy it over period correct updating. It’s more like macro economics/trends. Had the car NOT been changed it probably would have done even worse!

I will give you credit for one of the most random, out of context and irrelevant counterpoints ever! Such is the fun of hobby boards - a ll bets are off. All in fun my friend.

19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Actually as a board at least, the results were pretty evenly split.

I have a chrome emblem but want to sport a black one for a bit to see how I like it. I also have aftermarket wheels and a lousy weld job on some chrome tips (care of previous owner), so I’ll never look too original until I resolve that stuff.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvok and Shamile like this.
  20. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Chrome doesnt look so bad though... I do need to get the dents removed from my lower valence. Will do it shortly while engine is out
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shamile likes this.
  21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Shamile,
    Are you talking about the beautiful cars or the beautiful women?

Shamile likes this.
  22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Both ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

ago car nut likes this.
  23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Have fun Shamile!

Shamile likes this.
  24. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Interesting poll.

When I bought my 91 Testarossa, there wasn't much price difference between my ( at the time) low mile Testarossa and a higher mile 512tr. I honestly didn't know about the subtle improvements on the car and it looked the same to my untrained eye at the time. I went with the Testarossa because it said "Testarossa" on the back and that's the car that was in Miami Vice.

....plus the front of the 512tr looked just like a 348. Time has fared well for the tr and I see it much better light now.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

xplodee and ago car nut like this.
  25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the horse is prancing to the wrong side :(