246 GT door sliding glass | FerrariChat

246 GT door sliding glass

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I friend of mine is trying to source a right hand side door window glass (The sliding glass) for a 1971 Dino 246 GT (Euro model).

So far he manage to buy a window glass from Superformance, but the curvature of the reproduction glass does not fit exactly and the glass is 6 mm thick and not 5 mm as the original.

I have done a search and can see that the there has been discussions around the window glass issue before, but I cannot find any recommendations on where to find the correct glass.

Is there anybody that can help with good advises or that have a spare glass laying around that they want to sell?

Best regards Peter

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Hello Peter,
    the door window glass from DinoParts should fit, but it won`t have the original stamp.
    I used to buy one, that one was ok.
    Regards Matthias

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks Matthias, I will try that route.

4. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Hi Peter,
    Did you buy the Dinoparts door window glass and how did it fit?
    I Have bought a uroglas window that just will not fit correctly.
    Can anyone let me know where I can get a door glass for my M series that will fit please.

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    No, we never bought that Dinoparts glass. My friend decided to live with the misfitting glass from SF. I later bought the small triangular vent glass and associated opening / closing fitting from Dinoparts and that fits perfectly but that is another story..-:)

Best Peter

Eltel246 likes this.
  6. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Thanks Peter, can you tell me the fitting problems he had with the Superformance glass.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The curvature was wrong and the glass too thick making it difficult to get the glass to slide freely up and down.

Eltel246 likes this.
  8. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    This is exactly what is happening with the glass I bought although it is 5mm thick. Has your friend settled on having it non opening or can he open and close the window.
    I cant get the glass to move hardly at all pulling it with all of my force. There is no way that the window motor will move it!

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Same story with my friends car. He has manual lift, but it is in practical terms close to impossible to operate the window.

Eltel246 likes this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I need two original door glass, or a set that will fit...

The ones I bought from a 'vendor', they do not have the proper curvature.
    Why bother making glass that does not fit! Not following with the word 'precision'.

Regards, Alberto

Eltel246 likes this.
  11. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Seems somebody could make proper glass these days with the bug mark in an inconspicuous place down low and the correct curvature. A fellow in Italy made the curved door glass for the Lancia Stratos and they came out great, fit well and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Eltel246 likes this.
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Do you have the Italian contact for the glass? I have two originals that I can take, and have replicated.
    Still two short though...

Regards, Alberto

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

With respect to the "bug" - the stamp, but it really isn't - a good glass shop can polish it out and you can have a new correct and proper date "bug" etched on it. Please PM me off list and I can give you some details.

14. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I will ask Roberto Cassetta about the door glass. If he doesn't want to mess with the project he may give me the contact name. I will look at the Stratos door glass he made and see if there is a makers name on it.

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you! :)

Regards, Alberto

16. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Here is the Italian company that remade the Stratos door glass: http://www.sekurglass.net/
    I would want them to know all the problems with the reproduction glass that is out there and fit the prototype in a door before final production.

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Did you remake the glass only for your car, or a 'group buy' ?

Will give it a try, Thank you!

Regards, Alberto

18. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had no involvement in the project but it was a group buy on the Stratos door glass.

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For Glass interference problems with the track channel and rubber insert, I have found the suggestions for lubing the channel rubber only go so far.

If you really want to free up some space for glass movement, raise the glass window, remove the door panel and cut, them remove the bottom 6 inches of rubber in the track channel. I had to do this on a car that was binding after new channel rubber was installed and lubricants only helped marginally. With that section of channel rubber gone, the end bind was released and the window moved much faster and easier.

pshoejberg likes this.
  20. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    I have just fitted a right hand side door glass from Dino parts.

Pleased to report that the fit and operation was good. Not perfect but very good. I also fitted new window guides.

video attached of operation.

Attached Files: