The Official Chicago Spotters Thread! | Page 32 | FerrariChat

The Official Chicago Spotters Thread!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by badges2, Jun 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  2. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

AS GREAT DRIVING roads go, Interstate 10 isn’t. The road between Phoenix and Los Angeles is nearly straight, almost featureless, an automotive conveyor belt through vault and valley 400 miles long. On some stretches the speed limit goes up to 75 mph, but last week, in my test car—a nuclear-tipped Ferrari 488 called the Pista—distance/time came to a droning standstill. My fellow travelers and I huddled together around 84 mph (the speed limit +9), hoping there would be safety in numbers. The desert scenery repeated like a cartoon backdrop. The tall saguaros mocked me.

The Pista ($445,437, as tested) has a top speed of 211 mph, but I’m no hero. I had been warned that if I were caught going over 100 mph in Arizona I would not be returning to the comfort of my hotel. Sure, I hammered the Pista around some remote desert roads and got a nice power drift going in an empty parking lot. The Pista wasn’t impressed. This track-hardened, mass-optimized rewrite of the 488 GTB (midengine berlinetta, aluminum space-frame) is up to 198 pounds lighter and 49 hp more potent (710 hp), breathing through gills in its hips and bristling with race-derived body bits.

But there was that one time, when the coast was clear, I was able to test a fascinating new Ferrari talking point. They don’t even have a name for it yet so I shall dub it the Mamma Mia function. At lower speeds, the Ferrari’s computer actually restrains the turbocharged engine from delivering maximum torque all at once, first to avoid overwhelming the tires and second to mimic the responses of a classic (non-turbo) Ferrari V8, where throttle demand, revs, sound and horsepower all rise and fall together. It’s a character thing. That’s nice.

But, if you are already chuffing along in seventh gear at highway speeds, the pedal map algorithm sort of works the other way. The full measure of the engine and transmission eagerness stays cued up like a thunderclap. Just press the button, after which comes a series of booster rocket-like upshifts, as many as you have road for. God’s passing maneuver.
    I tightened my grip on the wheel, gritted my teeth, said a small prayer to St. Geppetto, patron saint of titanium con-rods, and romped it. There was still the briefest hesitation in the 3.9-liter, twin-turbo V8’s response, as if the car were asking, “Are you really sure you want this?”

Too late. The engine’s power was on me like an enraged mountain troll, stuffing me into the padded carbon seat. G-force butterflies swarmed in my stomach and saliva gushed in my mouth. Ooo, that tickles. In these noisy and dynamic few milliseconds the fat rear Michelins hazed and the Pista’s posterior waggled left, then right, violently, a 710-hp twerk. I laughed out loud but my blood ran cold. With the discreet help of the car’s traction-control system and the knot-tight steering, I gathered it back up in time for my appointment with fourth gear, still out of the wall and still in the throttle, wahooosh-BANG! OK, car, I’m only going to let you do that seven or eight more times, then I’m cutting you off.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-drove-a-screaming-fast-ferrari-among-ordinary-cars-11550770496?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

Enjoy :)

absostone likes this.
  3. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Always enjoy visiting LFF, saw an F40 and F50 there recently as well as so many beautiful cars.

4. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Saw a black ff parked behind an mb gt63 right next to house of blues last night

5. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I work near LFSC.

On the way home yesterday a red 458 was out and this morning when I stopped for gas at the Shell station closest to them, one of their staff pulled up in a black 3 pedal 612. Nice guy, he said it is not the easiest tranny to get into gears.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The more i see it, the uglier the Portofino gets. I thought the California was bad, but was i wrong.

Webby and Michael RPM like this.
  7. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    I was at Chicago Auto Pros yesterday to get the NSX cleaned up

They had a red 458 spider and a brand new blu 488 spider.

The 488 had just received 2 weeks of work to add matte film from end to end. The results were amazing as the car kind of had a frost to it. Wonderfully specced car to start with. Maybe a blu scurro with dark blue interior, daytonas, lots of cf, yellow stitching, calipers. I generally hate shields but they tied in perfectly with this car.

8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Just think, you could buy that if u didn’t pay them. Lol

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    F1tommy and absostone like this.
  11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    absostone likes this.
  12. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Yeah, we’ll see how badly I get shellacked this year. Really want to trade the mustang for aC4 vette, but we shall see.

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    JP365 likes this.
  14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes the top two. A couple of very interesting cars being restored in the area also, but I can't post photos.

17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  18. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    spotted a matte black Aventador on Michigan Avenue about 1:00pm today.

19. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    WJC likes this.
  20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  21. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Did Continental ever do a grand reopening as a Ferrari only dealership?

Thanks

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Not that I know of. And as a Historic 308GT4 owner I would think id be invited!! LOL, HA

23. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Black 458 license plate “leaf fan” outside the union station tunnel

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Red Stratos on Sheridan in Glencoe couple days ago.
    A real treat for me to see one on the road, too bad I was not able to snap a pick (coming from opposite direction)

25. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    Saw one of these by Wrigley last evening, about quarter to 8 PM. The matte blue is very attractive. The owner was making sure the onlookers experienced a bunch of crackle and pops.

There was also a yellow fixed roof Huracan with gold wheels in that vicinity about 5:30 PM.

absostone likes this.