The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Forza Scuderia, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    Ferrari did a decent job on the 488 sound and it is pretty good but it's a few shades off the 458 without question. What's great about Ferrari is that they, uniquely as far as I have seen, constantly emphasize and articulate how important sound is to the driving experience. They get it. And they're working on it. This next generation of mid-engine cars is going to sound better than the 488 and that's going to be getting damn good.

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Turbo = Cheap HP. (All the OE's have known that for decades.)

Cheap = Good. (Better profits, higher ROI, happier shareholders.)

DGPF, Solid State and LARRYH like this.
  3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    sure is save a lot on development of engines ... want more power just turn up the boost....I like the true high performance sound of an NA engine..personally

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Except that is not what they did with the Pista. Turning up boost is cheap but comes with drawbacks. I don’t think Ferrari are pursuing turbo because it’s cheap. It’s about emissions, otherwise they would not be going hybrid because one thing that isn’t is cheap! Pista shows they are committed to purity rather than low cost since they went to the expense of changing the engine not the boost.

ewright, stavura, F140C and 2 others like this.
  5. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Well said. Who ever says it’s cheaper to develop a turbo when you don’t have one or a hybrid drivetrain when you don’t have one ... versus just keep developing your NA power plant is ... illogical and erm ... uninformed. It’s all about continuing to get more power despite higher emissions reduction requirements. A turbo engine can produce same hp with 40% less emissions than same hp non-tubo.
    Active hybrid allows electric only zero emission propulsion which is being mandated in major city centers. So Ferrari has to pursue these solutions or start selling new cars that produce less power than the outgoing cars. And you know they can’t do that. It’s the same for every carmaker and even the NA holdouts at Lamborghini have said every new car they launch gong forward will be active hybrid as well. Stop acting like Ferrari even has a choice here it’s absurd already.

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    true and Turbo is truly a great way to get efficient power but if we are talking soul of a car which was being discussed earlier ....
    A 458 speciale had a 14:1 compression ratio with a 9000rpm redline ....which is the way to make a really great sounding engine to sound like a hi performance Ferrari .....
    the new PISTA truly a great car produces more power sure but the compression ratio went from 9.4 on the 488 to9.6 on the Pista and max RPM of about..8000 rpm....this is certainly a better driving and faster car with lots of torque but it loses to me some of the awesome Ferrari sound.and soul...thats all

DGPF, ewright, Roland1688 and 2 others like this.
  7. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Nice read on the variant possibilities and pricing.

(could careless about what it takes to attain a particular model)

@Forza Scuderia , thanks for posting.

LARRYH likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Well I can't see how you can know what everyone sees in their head as the icon or even expect that everyone sees the same thing. My head always dreams of V12 engines as did the companies namesake which is why I and many others own them. Some of us also see the melodious and shrieking howl of a giant gas guzzling polluting beast of an NA motor as the pinnacle of motorsport and that motor many times is in front of the driver. Some see Tesla-esque electrics as soulless things not in tradition with Ferrari. Very small block 7200rpm boosted V8s and now V6s don't make it for certain buyers. We are disappointed with the changes but not ignorant of why they were made or dismissive of the possibilities of the future of Ferrari.

We are also shy of battery packs and the reliability of tripling the complexity of the heart of the car to keep up with the sales of other brands and avoid issues with green thinking regulators. All at the same time losing the soul but gaining in the numbers race. Taken to its logical end we wind up with Formula E which you need to be drunk and crunching on prescription meds to get through half a lap. Maybe its a generational thing but just wanted to remind you that not all change is seen as positive and folks will be cautious moving forward. Best.

9. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Hey I get it. If it were up to me every single Ferrari would be naturally aspirated and mid-engine and V-12.
    Who wouldn’t want that?!!
    And ironically that’s the only configuration nobody has confirmed that they’re making!
    ( Excuse me Mr. Elkann might we have a word ! ... ) But again ... does Ferrari really have a choice to sell cars that don’t meet ever tightening emissions standards which in city centers will soon be zero. Also from a competitive market forces perspective does Ferrari really have a choice to make less powerful engines than prior generations ... because that’s what it would take to keep NA and meet requirements ... tinier and tinier power plants. Would you really want a 350 hp naturally aspirated 1.6 liter 4-cylinder Ferrari ... because that’s where that would end up. Luckily Ferrari is in good hands and they are going to make 8-cylinder hybrids and 12-cylinder hybrids with 800 and 900 horsepower and they won’t be noticeably heavier or less agile and they will sound glorious.

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Per this:

https://www.motor1.com/news/266493/ferrari-reveals-roadmap-more-hybrids/

The future also holds assisted driving, something which some might say was predictable given current automotive technology trends, but Ferrari hopes to hold a uniqueness in that realm. Details aren't yet revealed, but the artificial intelligence system being developed in Maranello is said to focus more on exclusivity and focuses on customization. As for what that means, we'll just have to wait and see.

I know the transmission/ecu already provides a degree of "selectable driver aid", but what more will will come? Will it be more like a video game?

Batteries, electric motors, game console aids, I think Ferrari should continue on the NA and hold the line on further driver aids and thus far I believe the penalty for EU locations is basically a monetary one, other countries may not at all, only China has made serious threats to restrict to only pure electric (and not much of anything on the Ferrari 5 year plan indicates that's happening in the lineup).

11. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Such feckless anxiety ... such pointless fretting ... has everyone on here lost their jiggly stones?

Let me put all of your Ferrari fears to rest my friends. In the next 10 years Ferrari's line up will not be comprised of self-driving or electric-only cars. And do you really have to think about what's going to happen after that? You may not even be around by then. If you haven't yet heard, life is short and it goes by at lightening speed. Stop worrying and get out there and buy yourself a new Ferrari and enjoy life. Last time I checked you don't get a second one.

JagShergill and LARRYH like this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Was just adding on to the set of expectations for what's to come.

Of course, get out there now and enjoy, life is fleeting, but, we are here conjecturing and mixing it up with some relevant announcements, all for fun!

13. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    We are taking educated guesses as far as this and it will be made more clear in the coming year but I don't know of any reason why "elegant GTs inspired by the 50's and 60's classics" is relagated to only one category. For example given the decades long urgings of many Ferrari customers to return to making 'beautiful elegant cars' why couldn't they do something along the lines of the following... and keep in mind ... NONE of these would be high fidelity copies, recreations or continuations or chassis number plates they found in the basement that they are going to build more of the original cars around. Ferrari won't do that. These would be brand new cars freshly and original styled in Ferrari's Design Center. So why wouldn't they do this because people would love it ...

1. Offer a regular production car that is a modern retro styled homage to the 250 series as a whole. Take the Portofino and rebody it with modern yet beautiful sculptural design language while adding details and touch stones that take you back to that golden era. Price them at $325k

2. Of course there are going to be Icona cars as well ... retro styled after previous giants of the Ferrari catalog. This is really the whole point of the Icona series. We can all use the Monza SP1 as a template for what they are going to do in the future. They didn't make a copy of the original Monza they made a modern interpretation of the idea of the original Monza. A beautiful elegant sculpture accompanied by a rush of the senses with the wind in your face and a howling V-12 ahead of you. We can all guess which past icons they may want to treat so lovingly in the future. And why wouldn't they do one each year. One that resonates with a theme coinciding with the new models they are launching that year. They can make 499 pieces of a modern interpretation of the Long Wheelbase 250 California Spider on the 812 platform and price them at $1.6 million. They will be sold out in weeks. They could do an Icona modern version of the F40 on the F173 platform and make 1,315 of them as well and price them at $1.8-million and sell out in days.
    They need to put that big fixed wing on the back though.
    Ferrari are you listening? Luca isn't running things anymore. The fans will go wild. Come on.
    They could make 499 modern reimagined and restyled 250 GTOs also on the 812 platform with the touchstone 3 vents on the hood, the gill slits on the side, price them at $2.5-million each and they would all be sold within hours. And why shouldn't they do all of this and more. It's a win win for the company, it's fans and its most loyal supporting clients.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    They will end up with no ICE engines when you think what hybrid actually means longer term. You say yourself the cost and practicality of getting power out of ICE is too much (but most certainly possible by master Ferrari engine designers if left to design away). I am saying that with the hybrid hp war its the electric engine and battery packs where the increases will come from each time reducing the effectiveness and size of the ICE engine even with turbos. Same result when adding stricter green regulations. Its a longer term commercial technology roadmap.

The ICE gets so small it becomes a drawback and by then folks would be conditioned for the short acceleration rush and then we're into snooze along Formula E and no soul. Market forces and regulations make this inevitable. If the recent post about mandated top speed limiters also has a say then you might as well buy a tesla and put Scuderia stickers on the side. No one knows the timeframe for this but don't be fooled that that's exactly where hybid takes it - to all electric. I also see nothing glorious about modern turbo sound compared to NA V12 of today and will certainly make an honest comparison with the new models coming out. That part will be easy.

As an aside, there is information out there about all electric platforms with four electric motors employing torque vectoring and 4-wheel firmware controllers that are guaranteed to exceed the performance any of the models discussed here today. Bodies even designed from PF top designers with excellent style. That technology is just a small reach away and the controller technology is being licensed to major OEMS. When batteries get better next wave or so the industry will see a dramatic shift. Lots to think about. Best.

LARRYH likes this.
  15. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Well if you want to pointlessly worry about the distant future you can console yourself with the prospect that 30 or 40 years from now all human driving on public roads will be outlawed.
    You can do that or you can enjoy the golden era of Ferrari we are living in. Go out and buy
    an 812 or an F173 and let it rip. Get out there and live live live!

ewright likes this.
  16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    In 30-40 years there won't be many if any Europeans left in Europe to make cars :( much less drive them, current low birthrates and incoming new populations with very little if any European heritage...so, you're right, get'm now!

And cars will never be outlawed where there is freedom ;)

DGPF and Eilig like this.
  17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I sincerely hope that buying a SP1/SP2 does not DECREASE the chance of buying the F40!!! That would be a disaster !

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

TSOYBELIS likes this.
  18. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    What an ignorant statement! Believe it or not there are people out here who will be around in 10+ years. People who will then be in the age and the financial situation to purchase Ferraris. The journey however begins with building up the dream of owning and driving a Ferrari at much earlier stage. In my case it began as a child and now I am in my twenties. When will I be able to purchase my first Ferrari? – I don’t know. Maybe never. It doesn’t matter as long as the dream is alive. A Ferrari is an aspirational thing so what happens in twenty years has an important impact on the generation which is at a different/earlier stage in the whole Ferrari experience journey. If the future of cars looks dark due to regulations it kills many of those dreams NOW.

chrixxx, LARRYH, JTSE30 and 1 other person like this.
  19. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    #119 nads, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

;)

20. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
  21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #121 day355, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Yes, they have the choice ! the choice to paid a penalty by cars over CO 2 restrictions, or includind it in the sale price, and consequently continue to produce NA
    LCDM has always resfused a stock exchange introduction...and he knew the reasons...
    Today, Ferrari isn t free and must generates more and more benefits for shareholders;
    Dear Forza scuderia, you want to give me a pizza for dinner, but i don t want to eat a pizza !!! i prefer another meal...
    I don t care about 900 or 1200 hp on open roads i can t use, my F 12 is already so poweful...i need an organic feed back, not an artificial, in a heavy car, with an electric engine...
    I need a soul ! i need a mecanic engine, i need music from a NA V12 or a V8 and 9000 rpm !!!
    That s all...Could you understand real enthusiast refused this kind of future ?
    I m 40 years old, but i know why i ve a big qmile when i turn the key !!! i don t need someone said to me you " must " ...I m a big guy Golden age is behind, it s just a reality !
    Cheers.

gabf1, DGPF, StuartNZ and 1 other person like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Cool dream roadmap, thx for posting.

Lmao convo on what it takes to acquire. No time for folly.

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yup Yup and Yup...
    Glad to see there are at least a few of us still around who can see through the fog.

JTSE30 likes this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fascinating posting. My reactions are: 1- your time table strikes me as too front loaded , and 2-Ferrari said at their capital markets day that their next few years plan does not include a LF replacement. Thus, you would need to come up with a new 15th model.

25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good points. But I can tell you a quick reaction. I heard the exact same kind of upset thoughts back in the mid 1970s when I was young and lucky to be around a few Ferrari owners who proclaimed: the company is doomed! The car's aren't the same! They now make this kind of plastic junk car V8 (308) and where is the elegant V12?! And they don't sound like the old cars! And they are under powered! What happened? Today these cars are seen as classics.

My take: Change is the only constant. Yes,of course, they are a public company now, and that means more pressure. But they were an integral cash contributor before to a public company, so they had pressure. And yes, the cars are crazy powerful. Because that sells, public company or no. You know what they say besides change is the only constant? The more things change, the more they stay the same. :) Despite the natural concerns of those of us who appreciate what they have achieved, I predict Ferrari will find ways to make these cars desirable and fascinating.

Forza Ferrari !!