Window Tinting | FerrariChat

Window Tinting

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 512pilot, Feb 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    As a new guy - future TR owner and stupid question asker... Has anyone ever tinted the windows on their testarossas? I don't know if it's just me but I never see any and was wondering if that is a major faux pas with the TR community?
    My red BMW Z4 were tinted and it really looked great.
    Are the air conditioners in the TR s that good that you don't need the windows tinted?
    Any pics of the Rosso Corsos with tinted windows would be appreciated, if there are any.

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Most Ferrari owners frown on anything that didn't come from the factory. Testarossa A/C with correct R-12 works well!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I saw it done. A/C is hit or miss in the TR, I personally didn’t like tinting it; wanted to preserve the car original and I didn’t mind being seen driving it;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  4. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    When you saw it tinted did it enhance the looks of the car or in your estimation detract from them?

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Well I fall into the category that didn’t think it enhanced it, maybe on a black car but I didn’t like it in red but that’s me.

6. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
  7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    You guys are going to hate me but I had my TR tinted, including the windshield. I had the lightest color tint possible to keep it looking more original. When I purchased my TR, the entire dash was a wreck. I replaced/refinished all the leather and had the windows tinted to prevent any further UV damage. Previous owner had dark tint on side and back windows, but the dark did not look right.

As far as the AC, mine blew super cold.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

No Hate lol just different options and styles ;)

512pilot and ridege55 like this.
  9. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Here is a pic of a 1985 TR just out of long term storage with tinted windows. [​IMG]

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  11. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Thanks for your reply and that was one of my concerns. I remember when I had my XKE and was with the Jaguar club of Houston, they frowned on anything that was not original and I understood that philosophy. Thanks also for the overview on the air conditioner. I heard they are not bad at all if they are correctly maintained.

12. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Yeah I have heard that there are light tints now which will really reduce the Heat yet not diminish disability especially at night. I understand that would never fly at a Concours show, but might not be too bad for driving down here in South Florida in the summer. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do once I buy it, thanks again for your comment and all the comments that are coming in on this

13. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    See... I don't think that really looks too bad at all. But someone earlier said he doesn't mind being seen driving his and I've got to agree with that too. Thanks for the pic that's a handsome car, regardless of the window situation

14. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    turbo-joe likes this.
  15. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    peteficarra and willrace like this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

That looks great, it is also illegal if u get pulled over and get a fixing ticket ;)

17. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks, cops not that anal around here, bigger fish to fry.

18. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Love it!
    Go for it, its reversible after all. Are those rain drops on the car?

19. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Purist tears

willrace, xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  20. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I love the look of the blacked out TR with black tints. But on a red car I’m not much of a fan. It just doesnt look as cool to me if you cant see the interior, especially when its a tan interior.

But you should do whatever you want! Tints are so reversible that its not even worth worrying about. And if you get ceramic tints your car will stay cooler too!

21. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    They do make a ceramic tint that is almost clear, believe it knocks out 80% of UV- but like you said to each his own.
    Wife used to complain about how hot 308 was, now complains she has to wear a sweater on 98° days when we take the TR.

22. 512pilot

512pilot Rookie

Oct 22, 2018
    Ceramic tint!? Interesting, never heard a tint called ceramic. I'll check into that. Thanks everyone for your input... the pics of the black TR with the black tint really look great! Almost intimidating.
    By the way I was looking for a forum to initially sign up in since I haven't done that yet. Something like a sticky for newbies. Anybody know where that's at, can't seem to locate it.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  24. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

I did my '79 308GTB (all windows and the inside of the windshield) with 3M Crystalline..it's specifically mad for cars and curved surfaces. It comes in different shades and I chose the lightest shade there was. It has just a hint of blue but it mad a HUGE difference in the temp in the cabin. It also protects from the UV rays which equals heat. The AC actually works now in the summer in Florida!

25. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Was never a big fan of tint until I did it, all my vehicles have it now in one shade or another.