LA or OC? | FerrariChat

LA or OC?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Anymac, Feb 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Hey fam. We recently relocated from Dallas to SoCal and are currently in OC because we originally thought it was the place for us. The main thing we love about it is the beaches and much less traffic than LA.

But we really like the amount of action in LA as well as the diversity of people, architecture and the like. Hence we began learning toward settling down in LA area - perhaps Sherman Oaks, Studio City or Encino.

That brings me last week when I was in LA in the Testarossa. I began to wonder - there must be fewer open spaces there compared to OC. Not that I go balls out but just a brisk drive seems like it might be harder to pull off. Am I wrong here?

What part do you live and how do you like it from exotic ownership perspective?

2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Im in Sherman Oaks so come bring the TR and be my neighbor! Lots of places to drive just a mere short distance from here. Its a short drive up to Santa Clarita and the hills and canyons there. Go a bit farther and you can be in Angeles Crest. Take a short trip west to the hills and canyons above Malibu. Some great drives there. Malibu isnt far off for a trip up PCH and its easy to get on the 101 to head up towards Santa Barbara.

Sheman Oaks can put you close to anywhere in LA while still giving you a somewhat away from the congestion feeling.

LA seems to be more about planning your drives so they dont hit peak traffic times.

aln, DavidDriver and Anymac like this.
  3. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    L.A. if you want diversity, or simply want to find a business that’s open after 8pm.

OC if you prefer a more conservative and suburban environment.

My suggestion is Northern L.A. county which is parts of the valley (like TrojanFan mentioned) and up towards Calabasas all the up towards Thousand Oaks and down to Malibu. Close enough to the city when you want or need to go, but has more of an OC vibe without being so far out. Also very close to great beaches.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sky Hye and Anymac like this.
  4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    West Valley... Calabasas, Woodland Hills, Encino, Tarzana.... All those will put you closest to the Santa Monica mountains. Go up there on weeknights and you can have fun.

Anymac likes this.
  5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Stay by the beach too dang hot inland. That's what my dogs tell me

6. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Here is a taste of OC

Anymac likes this.
  7. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I live in southeast OC. Very conservative, family oriented neighborhood. But except for Ortega Highway, good drives with interesting turns and terrain are far away. And Ortega Highway is pretty much impassible (trucks, scared mini-van drivers) except very early in the morning. Santiago Canyon is interesting, but still the same thing with traffic. I'm limited to Italian tune-ups on the toll road just to get some heat into the car.

Anymac likes this.
  8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    OC is good for slow drives in the back roads
    Need that track to stay at 3 digits :)

9. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Welcome to socal! Everyone has already mentioned some great options. Just depends what you want. I love the Testarossa! Awesome fcar!

Anymac likes this.
  10. Anymac

Anymac Karting

Jul 27, 2015
    Thanks! Sounds quite nice actually!

11. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I live in Long Beach, i checked out LA specifically Venice area and also checked out Newport Beach in OC, someone said check out LB i was like NO WAY, that place is Ghetto, they laughed and said just go check it out.. and once i went to Belmont Shore in Long Beach i was in love and knew this is where i must live..Belmont Shore is one of my fav cities here, 25 mins no traffic to LA and 25 mins to Newport beach and you have the Beach here and 2nd st full of life and many restaurants..

calder1 likes this.
  12. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #12 JimEakin, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Well, I dated a woman in Long Beach. I didn't feel that safe going out at night with her to walk her little dog, and I'm 6'5" and 240. But Belmont Shore is a different world, not Long Beach at all.

ShineKen likes this.
  13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Belmont Shore is very nice but the only drive will be over the bridge and then around PV, landlocked otherwise.

14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    When was that? must have been a long time ago, have you been to even Down Town Long Beach lately? that entire area has been renovated and very nice now , it gets bad other side of the 405 pretty much / not any worse than LA.

landlocked? we are rite on the water and have all the canals here..15 min drive to PV which is an ok drive over the bridge..i usually go to Angeles crest though for a real drive

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    For spirited driving, yes, which is what the OP was asking about. I have mostly lived in Marina Del Rey since the 90's, and love it there, but I have the same problem you do. I grew up in Encino and ripped up the canyons a couple nights per week back then since Mulholland was so close.

16. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    I lived in downtown Long Beach near Ocean Blvd from 2002-2012 -- it changed quite a lot in that time, all for the better. At no time did I feel unsafe and I never had anything happen to me, my significant other or my cars. I frequently brought home high-end and exotic cars from work without issue (though I did have gated parking at the condo I was living at). Still miss being able to walk a few blocks for dinner/drinks and just strolling around the harbor area on clear, warm evenings.

Edit: I do now recall one car -- an Infiniti QX80 on 22" chrome wheels that I street parked overnight down on Magnolia/4th getting egged. That was all the hassle I had in my decade there.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yeah Im in Signal Hill. Just a bit warmer less marine layer. Did the same thing has a place on the canals in Venice, shootings gangs all that stuff sold GREAT and moved to Playa Del Rey, same deal they made me a great offer when they built EA
    Love Long Beach, lots of different stuff very diverse and folks are just great.

18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Exactly Venice is full of gangs and shootings and druggies and weirdos lol , we don't have any of that garbage here in Belmont Shore, i'm sure south long beach does though.

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Great food in Belmont shore, anything you want and fantastic :)

20. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I'm a vote for Long Beach. Lived here for 20 years now after moving from UK . Down town is great and always improving. I have my boat in Shoreline Marina so down there most weekends

ShineKen and SoCal1 like this.
  21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Oh come on, it's not anywhere near as bad as it once was. The riff raff is now a daytime freakshow for tourists on the boardwalk. Santa Monica is worse, since they ring the dinner bell for them a few times a week and have provided new shower facilities.

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Weekends in Venice, event at the beach = what and how many things are getting vandalized this weekend LOL Lots ofcampers also

23. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Brentwood.

All freeways and side streets are gridlocked 21 hours a day around Sherman oaks.

Try getting on the 101 between 5 am and 8 pm. You’ll go insane.

Diversity can be a double edge sword. If your neighbors are from a different country thier culture may not fit your lifestyle.

Whatever Neighborhood you are thinking of try going to work from there in the morning, or shopping, and hang out at 6-8 pm to see what’s its like when most are home.

I’m not a fan of spending 20% of my day idling.

Best of luck on your search.

24. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Venice has one of the highest rates of both violent and property crimes in Los Angeles.
    http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhoods/neighborhood/venice/crime/

25. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Still better than it was. :eek:

Here in the Marina it's much better, maybe because we have Sheriffs and not LAPD?