NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Makes sense cuz it does need to stay competitive for 4 years starting 2020 deliveries

markonex likes this.
  2. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    So the consensus is that this model will have 1000 hp/cv/ps ?

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sure. But if you are talking horsepower the NA V12 in the F12 from 2013 still has more power than the Pista and the F8. The F12TDF has more than that and the 812 has even more (same as LaF). Ferrari makes engines. It's not logical to say that they cannot make an NA V12 with more power than that forced induction V8 or a pathetic V6. There's 50% more capability than a V8 to start with but not 50% more weight. Turbo's need a bunch of coolers, hoses, electronics, cabling, plumbing, valves, etc. Each with failure points non-existent in an NA engine. Cooling, heat soaking, and lag issues to overcome. Lots more electronics. And the sound is decidedly poor by comparison. Regulations made it a lot easier to add forced induction. The rest of the move to hybrids will add the extra power for the hp wars along with boost. That's where we are at/going and will end up with 4-wheel electric torque vectoring motors with autonomous mode.

If they did do a final NA V12 with special materials for con rods and possibly the block, change bore/pistons, change compression, change lift/duration, thin the cam tubes, better piston ring sealing with less ring stress and weight, shorter stroke, nexgen variable stacks, dual pre and direct injection per cylinder, titanium intake valves with softer valve seats and titanium holders/keepers, solid lifters, lighter flywheel, min wall thickness CF torque tube, tighter control of timing and fuel per bank, nexgen intake/exhaust cam hydraulic advance/retarding, DLC coat all the engine friction parts, your eyes would blow out of your head. An easy 10k rpm snarling and raspy monster. Go with the 6 into 1 Inconel exhausts on each bank - the works. Yes they could build it tomorrow and people would riot over it. Lucca promised a final blowout for the front-mid flagship and that's my version of one. You would be embarrassed to put that TTV8 or V6 anywhere near it and call it an engine. Motore di Mostro Iconico! Won't happen for a lot of reasons but they are plenty capable.

boogie, sampelligrino, BG23 and 3 others like this.
  4. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would think Ferrari are looking at the Mclaren Senna and that price positioning, Ferrari don't have a product in the £750 to £1 M area . I personally cannot see, (and I know many disagree) a 1000 bhp halo car at £500k . It is too cheap. Look at the pricing of the Icon rebodied 812 Monza. The design of BB has been described as out of this world and performance superior to Laf. So my reading and understanding is that there will a big rise in prices for this car that will remain as a normal production car but at a price point never seen before, if it were 500k with this performance they will be in the aftermarket at a million overnight. It would be strange to launch it in May, as you will have Pista, Pista Spider, F8 all in the space of months. End of the year launch . Speculation over.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They have ruled out a turbocharged V12.

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    No, likely 930 - 970 PS

7. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco

Agree, price range between 500 k and 1M. Likely 750k mid optioned

8. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Good question. I think it depends on the BB's power output at launch, how big the gap will be between the new hybrid V8 and the current 6.5L V12 and how much power Ferrari can still extract from it with further developments, higher rev limiter etc. (50/60hp, maybe?) in the next models (812 Spider, 812 LE, new GTs, new Icona projects and so on).

Personally I don't think the BB will launch with 1000hp. That would be "too much, too early": the power/performance gap would be insane with all the other models and the room for further increases in the future would be smaller.

A guy from Bernstein. Here's the full transcript of the conference call:
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4237157-ferrari-n-v-race-ceo-louis-camilleri-q4-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

crinoid likes this.
  9. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    If it is a Senna rival then do we think it will be track focussed day 1 or follow current pattern of regular road car followed by special series version?
    I was imagining the latter for both Big and Little Brother.

10. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Senna pricing, not a track car IMHO

11. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I agree but question is whether there is a track focussed version at the end of the run?If so I guess you might need to own a Pista and a Big Brother to get an allocation.

12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    what is the actual internal Ferrari code for this car....we are calling it BB...is there an official Ferrari code for it?

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    F173 I think

Doug23 and of2worlds like this.
  14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    thank you sir.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My biggest concern still with these hybrid concepts is the weight. So we have to see what effect it has on handling.

Is great for going straight fast. But what do you do when you have to brake and turn and the become a liability.

iloveferrari and jumpinjohn like this.
  16. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

Genuine question:How do La Ferrari owners find the handling ?

iloveferrari likes this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Caphill, Roland1688, stavura and 4 others like this.
  18. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks for the reminder, I always get confused between F171 and F173 (which, by the way, is referenced as "Dino" by someone on LinkedIn):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mistake?

Doug23 and of2worlds like this.
  19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The weight is a minor concern to the general concern if he battery itself, it’s lifespan, it’s replacement cost, etc etc. who the hell wants their Ferrari with this battery anchor around it’s neck. The new modular platform has positioned the batteries in the floor of the car (green area) to lower center of gravity. Should be ok.

20. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    In December 18 I placed an order and deposit on this car
    On this info
    Over 1000hp
    V8 hybrid power
    0-100klm/hr. Under 2 seconds
    Was waiting outside the dealership with cheque book waiting for them to open the doors

stavura, F2003-GA, carlom001 and 2 others like this.
  21. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    I was also told carbon tub to overcome weight of electrics

crinoid likes this.
  22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't doubt it will perform and be a hell of a car. The LaF is one of my favorites. I am simply saying battery life is a great concern.

23. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    So the BB/F173 is the V8/Hybrid Solution? With the F8 being the last of the V8 Turbo's?

24. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    BB/F173 V8 turbo plus electrics

25. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    We think so.