308vs328 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308vs328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brent328, Feb 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The 355 is a variation of the 348. A quickie fix from LDM. But the skin is almost all different.

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Look at a 348 and a 355 close side by side, you would be surprised. It is exactly the same shape: take the "cheese graters" out of the 348, and it is a 355; the actual update of the shape is in fact negligible, but the cars look completly different.

Rgds

Rosey, Thomas Magnum and Albert-LP like this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Who knows. Probably a 308 GTB carbed drysump (both, fiberglass or metal, which you want) or a 208 turbo, but nobody can predict the future.

328 is the last of the series, usually is a bit more reliable and a bit less rust prone, so maybe it's the best choice for you. But my tip is to buy the one you like more (and the best car you find), so it will be Always a good investment!

ciao

Oengus and Crowndog like this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 348 is Bruce Jenner
    The 355 is a sex-changed version of Bruce Jenner complete with daily hormone treatment, tuck, lift, and make up.

But, I do like both cars. I cannot say the same about two versions of Jenner.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I think I understand what you mean, and I think I more or less know who Bruce Jenner is, but I have to check nevertheless...

The 348 was rather poorly received by the press when it appeared in Europe, not, as many are prone to say, for a difficult road-handling, but for its lack of a performance advantage over the 328 that it replaced. I have somewhere a copy of a german magazine saying that they have waited many years for the successor to the 308/328, only to have a car that is, indeed, more powerful by 30hp, but also heavier by 50kgs, which equals to exactly the same power to weight ratio and negates the 30hp advantage; and with the 328 being slightly lighter, it was slightly more nimble and quicker below 100 km/h (= 60 mph); only above 160 kp/h (= 100 mph) did the 348 show a slight advantage.

But, that's a bit out-of-topic and perhaps not very fair to the 348. The 355, on the other hand, was universally praised.

Rgds

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Vous ne connaissez pas Bruce / Caitlyn Jenner?

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #57 nerofer, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    I might have heard about him/her, but I have to say that I am not among the most media connected persons in the world, I miss a lot of things. Like my cars, I'm slightly outdated.
    This would be valid for the french famous people also; listening to the radio while shaving in the morning, I heard of many names for which I often wonder "now, who the h..l could that be?"
    It is the same when I'm walking the streets in Paris; between 2004 and 2008, I used to work in a place where you crossed the path of lots of famous persons in the streets: I never recognized anyone.
    The only famous person I bumped into in Paris and very well recognized was Robert Mitchum, sometime at the begining of the nineties.

I guess it was about twelve years ago, I was waiting for a flight in an airport in Canada (Toronto (?) if my memory, etc...) seated next to some girl; then, out of the blue came a horde of photographers and they all were taking said girl in picture, to my great amazement. And then one said to me "you were seated next to Paris Hilton", which left me utterly dumbfounded, because I had never heard that name, so I did not catch what he was saying. I more or less understood that this girl had a connection with the Hilton in Paris, but nothing clicked in my mind, as I could not imagine that a girl could have "Paris" for her first name. Someone explained to me afterwards.

Rgds

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So did she do anything "For" you on the plane ride?

If not you'd be the first.

We are the same. The other half rode on a flight from California to Texas in the seat next to some young very pretty TV/Movie star. Didn't know who or what she was until later. They had a very nice conversation and I am sure the actress liked not having someone gush over her the whole time. Of course my other half had dinner once with Sam Elliot and had no idea who he was either. Just wondered why everyone was staring.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I can't even remember that plane ride, Brian; only that I was turning these words in my mind about "the Hilton in Paris", because it did not make any sense at the time; until one of my nièces told me.
    The one flight I do remember however, was one to Berlin in 1992: seated next to Lauren Bacall; and that time, yes, I knew who she was at the second I took the seat, and I was completly frozen. No, she did say "just whistle; you know how to whistle, Steve?, etc..." but she didn't need to. I would have recognized Sam Elliot, and his voice even more...

Rgds

10. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The front overhang make the profiles very different. I know I'm in the minority, but I much prefer the stubby 348.

11. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    I disagree that the 348 was better than the 328, just because it replaced it doesn't mean it is better, it was a completely new car into a different direction and it came with plenty of "new" issues.

348's are good cars don't get me wrong but when you dig deeper you will quickly learn about transverse gearboxes and dual clutch plates. the later models were much better and performance wise too.

Luca Montezemolo trashed the 348 when he took over back in 1991 and lots of changes were made in the 348 model run until the much better 355 was introduced.

IMHO they went a little backwards, remember the 328 was the last of a series and went through superior changes in the later models, they were little jewels according to some Ferrari mechanics back in the day - easy to work on, if well looked after not many issues at all and I know most experienced 328's guys will agree.

cheers
    Johnny

Rosey likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The 348's did give us a lot of trouble. The 328 almost none.

Rosey likes this.
  13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Since the OP asked about investing, a little market history is in order. Ferraris, including 3X8s, were red hot in the late 80s. They peaked in 1990 at prices that, adjusted for inflation, were even higher than the recent highs. After peaking, it took 6-7 years for the bottom to be reached. I bought my first 308 in '96 and first 328 in '97. With the exception of a modest bounce in '99-'01, prices for 3X8s were remarkably stable for about 15 years before finally getting hot again around 2014. Stupid me, I sold my last 3X8 (an '89 GTB) in 2012. I had a 40 year career in collectibles and observed people will ignore good values and opt for what is hot until it's not hot anymore. 3X8s are not hot anymore. If history is your guide, they will likely languish for some time. IMHO, collectible cars at the lower end like 3X8s should not be thought of as investments. The ongoing cost of ownership is too high, not to mention the markups and probable sales tax one pays when purchasing. I think too many buyers rationalize the purchase by calling it an investment when, in reality, they just want to own one.

Dave

308 milano, hyenahf, sixcarbs and 3 others like this.
  14. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This is why I don't care about strict originality for my 308. There is a place for originality, but I wanted better performance.I prefer operational functionality. Others will disagree but after 30 + years of ownership, I want modern performance with classic 308 styling.

hyenahf and MFlanagan like this.
  15. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The last iteration of each model may be the most ironed out, but the first iteration of a new model is always a big leap forwards.

Even if you think the 348 had its initial issues, go back one model & the Mondial is arguably a better car than the 328.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And that is your personal opinion, which is shared by … whom?

JohnnyTS and Rifledriver like this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And I would disagree for a number of reasons.

18. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    me too, must say it's the first I heard the Mondial is better ? yikes :0

19. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Paul, are you serious, do you think we are suckers or are you trying to convey something here ?

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Arguably is right. I think everybody would argue against that statement !!

eyeman1234 and Rifledriver like this.
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Especially when you consider the first version, the Mondial 8.

New models are not always a step forward from any manufacturer.

22. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    yep, I know them and many stories along that, my opinion, if you like a Mondial more than a 308 for example then it's 'you' it's got nothing to do with me, it's your personal preference, don't rub it off in which car is the best or worst, lets really not go into that...

23. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah, maybe not the 8. I thought the Mondial QV was a great car when I drove it a while back, though. I was very impressed. Who knows, maybe my expectations were thrown low by all the bad press the Mondial gets. There's one converted for racing near me & it's performed very well in its class. Looks way better with the strakes moulding removed, too. I think the rear's styling is the best of any 3x8. Anyway, I'll get my coat :oops: :)

paulchua likes this.
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, a new "Mondial" costed more than a new equivalent model "3x8" of the same range (Mondial 8 vs 308 "i" / Mondial QV vs 308 Qv / Mondial 3,2 vs 328). Nowadays, look at the average value these trade for, and the market has had its word.
    Can't understand Paul's reference to the "Mondial vs 328"; should have been Mondial vs the whole 3x8 family.

Considering the 328 specifically, vs the "Mondial 3,2", I don't think arguing would even be necessary: I still have the period "Sport-Auto" comparisons from November 1985 and May 1988. The one from November 1985 was written by the late José Nosinski, a man with comprehensive racing experience. Incidentally, this same man was very complimentary about the 308GT4 at the time this car appeared on the market: but whereas he felt that a 308GT4 had indeed some arguments vs a 308 GTB, he never ever felt the same about the "Mondial", except should you be in need four seats. To him, the "Mondial 8" didn't even deserve the badge it was wearing, the QV barely so; only the 3,2 was better, but it was not in the 328 league.

Rgds

25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The Mondial, like the GT4 falls into a completely different category. It has a "back" seat. This, in a car that really isn't supposed to have a back seat and while you can argue that the majority of Ferrari shoppers don't want a back seat you can't deny the fact that they continued to produce the GT4 alongside the GTB/GTS and continued to produce the Mondial up until 1993. So obviously somebody wanted a back seat because as far as I know they sold every one that they made.

Nowadays you might see someone settling for a Mondial because they are cheaper than pretty much anything else and in the end, despite the back seat, you're still getting a 308, or 328 or even a 348 in the final versions. I considered both the GT4 and Mondial when I was shopping but deep inside I knew that I really wanted a GTS so I held out for it.