330LMB offered at Monterey? Who owns it? What's he holding out for? | FerrariChat

330LMB offered at Monterey? Who owns it? What's he holding out for?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Mar 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was researching this car which, with another body, was in a Fellini movie, the car called the Golden Ferrari.
    I saw the Rick Cole ad for the car restored to 330LMB coupe style, which is splendid in facts on the car but can't find out what year it was offered in a private treaty sale. Was it 2018? The owner is reported to be a Hollywood man, but that's so vague, is it Nicholas Cage (who once owned one of the Shah's Miuras)? Or a film executive? And is it true that he holding out for $10 million? I think it's so closely related to a 250GTO . If GTOs are 50-70 million it would be a bargain at that price. Also can't find exactly what body it was using when it was a roadster, supposedly the LeMans winning body of a car that won at LeMans? I find it incredible that the factory would think a LeMans winner wasn't worth keeping and would sell off the body.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The search button is top right.
    All answers can be found within a NY minute.

Marcel Massini

Michael RPM, 375+ and turbo-joe like this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is a NY minute please? new york minute makes no sense

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    “NY minute” or “New York minute” is an American saying or reference to when something happens instantly or immediately.

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you very much for explaining timo.
    so my thinking of new york minute was not worng, but the sense for me was new ;)
    always learning here in the f-chat :)

Jack-the-lad and readplays like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6 Nembo1777, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Yawn see my article in Octane issue #188 February 2019 issue with full research and interview of protagonists, I crossed the pond for it in September, had wanted to see that body for fourty years ever since the movie totally blew my mind when I was 14;-)

I won't even try to explain Fellini type movies here, lost cause...basically very decadent Italian short movie made in 1968, enjoy. The body still had 4381 330LMB underpinnings (chassis) back then.

Hint: to understand the story focus on the body not on the three chassis it sat on, it was very briefly in 0808 TRI but just a few days:)

Here a photo to really confuse you (hint, Long island New York state, USA, September 2018 car is dark red, photo is photoshopped to gold as in movie, the happy schmuck driving is moi and the chassis under it (since 1980) is 8733.

Now I leave you thoroughly confused (sorry being cruel with you tonight;-)) as I have to wake up early. Greetings from Sicily where I am on business:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks for reminding me to read the article!:)

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Wow--you photoshop whizzes go for shininess. I chose to depict a duller paint job in the painting I am doing showing it when it was a Via Veneto crumpet catcher

Attached Files:

lgs likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes the gold in the photo is actually horrible far too shiny, looks like a rapper's ride:eek:, it is the first attempt by my tech; we need a duller gold. I asked him to try with gold poached from a photo of an old gold coin but I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Yes the old owner drove it Via Veneto at aperitivo time slowly with a hat on...Nice shade of gold on your creation.

Jack I hope you enjoy it:)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  10. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Do you always drive on the left-hand side of the street while in the USA. (Then the RHS in UK?)

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Lol tha
    Hello, lol it was during car to car photography sometimes it is the vehicle carrying the photographer which moves over to the overtaking lane to get that 3/4 front angle but rest assured such shots are taken at low speeds and no animals, members of the public or less importantly journalists were hurt in the process:)

12. Steve Boone

Steve Boone Rookie

Mar 5, 2019
    Flagler Beach, FLorida
    Full Name:
    John STEVE Boone
    59seconds

13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    45 seconds.
    :D

Lusso123 likes this.
  14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    That gold car was offered to me from Rome, back in the day. It came with an alternate berlinetta body, similar to the spyder, and had the chassis of the LM winner, 0808. Don't remember why I passed on it.

Fiorano575 and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #15 Nembo1777, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Hi Ed,

My Octane article was focused on the spyder body and its life atop three successive chassis as opposed to the usual focus on a given chassis number, as it was that stunning body that got my attention hugely 40 years ago when seeing the movie.

It was also nice to make some research breaktroughs after reading the same old statements about it for ages, Fiorenzo Fantuzzi was most interesting. This was the first article about it since a German one in 1999, unbelievable.

I am happy to say it is even more stunning in person and impeccably restored. A major career highlight to spend the day with it:)
    I have encouraged the owner to send it to more concours, it did just one in recent years on Long Island NY last summer. I want to reunite Terence Stamp with it, owner is very willing and TS would be (you can see he enjoyed driving it) but his agents were cold fish and I got nowhere whereas usually I get the interviews I want but the Hollywood and London agents were beneath useless, may they rot in movie hell.

All the best, buona notte from Milano,

Marc

Lusso123 likes this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That would have been a really great reunion Marc. It's too bad you had to deal with Stamp's agents...... celebrity agents are a 'special breed'.... like catfish....they are all bottom feeders at best.

From what I have seen so far, the owner (who I built a model for) doesn't seem to have much interest in sending any of his cars to any concours unless they are near where his cars live.... maybe one day that will change.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Marshall, bottom feeders, yes absolutely the right word for actor's agents.

The owner was very happy with the article so it changes the situation because it changed his point of view so I certainly hope it will be shown in more concours but it needs a a sign explaining the history in front of it. I did that for other cars with complex histories (not necessarily cars with prancing ponies on the hood) and it helps a lot, like any properly written concise museum exhibit panel, I will offer to do it.