Code P0491 & P0492 - Secondary Air Injection | FerrariChat

Code P0491 & P0492 - Secondary Air Injection

Discussion in '612/599' started by Vito, Apr 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    A recently acquired 2008 599 displayed an engine control system (ECS) error and the OBD codes revealed P0491 and P0492, Secondary Air Injection issue. The car had been started from cold the other day having sat for about a week since the last running. After a moment of warm up time and about a mile of driving, the check engine light cam on with the Engine Control System Failure (ECS) warning. The motor ran fine, no issues there. I've seen in other threads here that these codes have appeared in 8 cylinder models but I was unable to find a similar thread for the 12 cylinder cars. Has anyone else experienced this same ECS code? If so, what was done to resolve the problem? I've had no further issues since simply clearing the error codes. Thank you for your comments.

2. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I'm curious about this as well as I've had the same issue with my 2010. I clear the codes via the battery disconnect in the trunk, but after driving for 20-30 minutes the ECS comes back on. Car runs perfect. Next time I bring it in for annual service, will have them have a look as it's annoying to see the light on.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    P0491 and P0492 indicate that you have insufficient air injection flow into the exhaust manifolds. The oxygen sensors are looking for a leaner mixture caused by the air being injected into the exhaust and are not seeing it and setting the codes. The fact that it is the same code set on both sides indicates that it is a problem common to both sides.
    There is a vacuum solenoid valve that provides manifold vacuum to the air injection valves for each side of the engine. You either have a blockage in the vacuum system or a leak in the vacuum system causing the valves to not open. Further diagnosis is required.

F485 and Skidkid like this.
  4. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Many thanks for the detailed response. Quite helpful.

5. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thank you for the information. I'll share this with the technicians.

6. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I've cleared the error code, restarted the car (it was not totally cold though) and drove about 20 miles without the error reappearing. Could it have been a one time glitch?

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Those secondary air injection pumps run for just a couple of minutes on cold start to reduce emissions, with no effect at all on how the engine runs. The only downside to a problem is the check engine light and that you will likely fail emissions. The Porsche 993 suffered from clogged secondary air injection ports in the heads from carbon and it was a bear to clean them out. This sounds like it would be a more straightforward issue but it is more of a nuisance than a running problem.

You can reset the check engine light but it is likely to reappear once the OBD2 system runs all its diagnostic checks and flags it. This can take a lot of driving cycles to occur. With the 993 you could reset the code, and then race against the computer to get the car inspected before it threw the check engine light and failed, because the car ran fine otherwise.

montegoblue likes this.
  8. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Car restarted & driven several time since codes cleared, longest drive was two 65 mile routes, codes have not reappeared.

9. francars

francars Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Francisco
    While driving to get annual service on mine the CEL came up. Turns out the Secondary Air Pump is faulty and needs replacement. Oh well...

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I would keep driving the car to see if the codes come back. It doesn't hurt anything if they do. It may have been a one time occurrence, caused by a partially blocked vacuum hose or the air injection pump had an intermittent failure.

11. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have the same problem in my 2011 458. Comes on maybe twice a year. I just checked all the hoses and connections, could not find anything.

I noticed I can clear the temporary code but a permanent code remains.

I am going to keep looking.

12. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    vincep99, Did you ever resolve your issue with your 458?

13. Jasflora

Jasflora Karting

Sep 30, 2018
    Leeds United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Jas flora
    I am getting
    the same on my 2011 458 Power seems a little diminished though this may be my paranoia. I'm going to get the Ferrari tech take a look at it this week

14. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Just got this error code on my 2014 458 Spider: P0491 AIR System Insufficient Flow Bank 1." First time driving it in about four weeks because of weather. Have an appointment with the dealer next week to investigate. Will update thread with any relevant information.

15. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Took my 458 in today for the above problem and the error code was gone when we turned the car on at the dealer. They are going to take a closer look over the next few days, plus I just got the recall notice for my secondary air bag and I am hoping they can get that taken care of as well. Hope to know more on Monday.

Did anyone else have the code clear after a few engine starts?

Rob

16. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Just to finish this off . . . . The dealer scanned my 458 and there were no faults present or even stored. We will wait until we see it again. Their expectation for future diagnosis: "This is typically caused when the secondary air valves stick, thus causing the “insufficient flow”.

Unfortunately the passenger air bag recall came out the day I took it in. Waiting for them to get airbags, hopefully next week.

17. Broiler010

Broiler010 Rookie

Mar 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    hiroaki hayashi
    I got same thing on California 2009, just cleared them and will be seeing how it's gonna be.
    Thinking to take it to the dealer if they do come up again.

rob5819 likes this.
  18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I just had my 599 in for its annual service and the car is running great. I took it out yesterday and got the dreaded engine light. I just hooked up the OBD and cleared it.

19. Broiler010

Broiler010 Rookie

Mar 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    hiroaki hayashi
    Just for an update.
    P0491,2 haven't come up since I cleared a week ago.
    I called maintenance place which I just had it done a month ago and was told that it should be temporal and should be fine, but might wanna take it in and get it CLEAN if it should come up again too often.

20. csteve

csteve Karting

May 6, 2006
    hong kong
    Full Name:
    steve chang
    P0492 in my 2009 California - cleaning up carbon deposit in vacuum solenoid valve resolved the issue. What do I need to do going forward to prevent this from happening again? Oxicat cleaner? Warmer up the car longer at cold start? Drive harder with higher RPM to chase smoke out? Looks forward to your thoughts, thx

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    the 2ndary air pumps are made by Pierburg.

Ferrari uses on all their cars, and most likely the same pump. Used by Audi and Maserati as well.

Very available at different prices.

As stated only comes on for a short while during a cold start to ensure enough air injected to reduce emissions