Correct 328 head torque | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Correct 328 head torque

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hinecker, Mar 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just for grins when I put my heads on in the next week or two I could observe and make note of how many degrees it takes to go from 33 to 72 ft/lbs although it will be the 11 mm QV studs so not sure if the information would be worth anything in this particular case. Even if it turned out to be exactly 120 degrees it would just be something else to scratch your head about so probably not.

2. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Martin,
    There you go again, VW is a worldwide reputable German carmaker and with your statement "burned to the ground", you just trashed that reputation.
    Then you wonder how a German made gasket can be considered "junk".
    What are you trying to proof? the purpose of discussion is meet at the most convenient and logical common point, in a way that everybody gets their share. Argue is a "piss contest", no logic point is reached, and nothing is learned.

Can we please focus on the subject.

John.

3. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning,
    Can't seem to link on to this page, do you have the email?
    Thanks!!!

John.

4. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for your reply,
    I know what the service bulleting states, it must be wrong, because I followed that same pattern and ended up with a compression leak on cylinder #5. In order to repair the leak I shaved the heads and block (both were warped by 0.15mm). As said before, on reassembly something didn't seem right, 10 Kg of torque is way to much for a 10mm stud and on the other hand torqueing using the "degree" technique is only done with "elastic studs.
    If the studs were elastic, the manufacturer would have to give you the limit "stretch"...which is not given at any point,
    This whole deal just doesn't make sense.
    Now... replacing the studs with "reinforced" 11mm non elastic steel makes all the sense in the world.

Hope we reach a meeting point,

John.

5. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Took a peek at the page, could find the parts but quotes were not posted. When you say "not inexpensive", what price are we looking at?

Thanks for all the support, sorry I'm bugging you so much.

John.

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,

sorry for this misunderstanding. Shouldn't be any offense. And of course they are versatile and reliable vehicles, if maintained well, what our's unfortunately was not.

But somehow funny, that just last week I mentioned, that rarely anyone complains about going off-topic. What I like.

Best Regards
    Martin

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have no idea. Call and ask.

8. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon,
    Given my little experience with this engine and listening to what has been said on this thread, what I would do (doesn't mean you have to follow my advice), is install 11mm studs and fit a different head gasket and torque the heads at 10Kg/m.

Just as a hint, I rebuilt my heads and torqued them down at 4.5Kg/m plus 120 degrees, guess what? #5 ended leaking compression into the water jacket:(
    I ain't gonna go down that road again without proper advice...And it seems someone has run into the same problem on this chat, so I'm going to follow his advice.

Thanks for the comment.
    John.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those head gaskets do not have enough compressability to deform over the uneven surface formed by the deck and liners. The material was changed when the production moved to Spain. The 4v heads dont have the rigidity to cope with that well. I'd bet you would also have had valve leakage had you tested for it. When all this first happened a few years ago I was putting an F40 together (those have 11mm studs) and I didn't even need to pressurize it. Water ran out as I was pouring it in.

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Analyzing, that 100Nm seems to be completely wrong for a fine thread M10 bolt or stud, especially since the compression further adds to the stress of the studs, I wonder whether snapped studs are a common problem on these engines.
    I almost don't dare to say it, but calculation of a bolt joint is a complex issue and those tables are not always applicable.
    I think, those 100Nm are for installation a head with a new head gasket. It would be interesting to know, how much prestress remains on the joint after a few hot-cold cycles.
    That said, I think it's not a good idea to retorque heads with 100Nm

If interested:

https://mechanicalc.com/reference/bolted-joint-analysis

Best Regards
    Martin

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari always maintained no retorque.

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Brian,
    and therefore I never cared for my head nuts. But this reminds me of an older topic, discussed here. I have read -after I had my valve covers off for the last time, so I couldn't check- that there's occasionally a loose nut on the 2V-engines. Loose means, far below preload achieved with 100Nms. What do you think, what could cause this? And if I would find one, what's best to do? Like agreed, retorquing to 100Nms is no option.

Best Regards
    Martin

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That does not apply to your car, only the motors that torque to a number of degrees. Nothing in the world wrong with retorquing and to the full torque a motor with the standard studs
    The factory says to retorque yours and many do it every valve adjustment. .

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #39 Martin308GTB, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    O.k., thanks. So, in around 5000 kms I will pull the torque wrench. I'm curious. Never touched my head nuts. Since 60.000kms I have the car. (125.000kms on the car).
    No problems so far.

Best Regards
    Martin

15. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Rifle (don't know your name ),
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm shooting for the 1mm studs, gonna have them made, it's a lot cheaper and i can choose the steel quality. Getting kind of tired of buying "top quality parts" which end up not being top quality at all.
    I also want to have the gaskets custom made, I can choose any quality and layout, such as copper, steel, stainless steel, multi layer, reinforcements, thickness...

Could you give me some advice on this, based on your experience?

Thanks in advance for the comments and support.

John.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #41 Martin308GTB, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    He's Brian. Visible in the header.

I would never worry about anything from Dave. I still remember the research and efforts, I watched, and discussion with him here, back then before he launched his fuel and coolant hose line around ten years (?) ago.
    It's a pity, that he's meanwhile rarely 'seen' here on the 308/328 subforum, though being still active on FChat generally.

Best Regards
    Martin

17. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon Martin,
    Not questioning Dave's advice at all, just seeking good advice. As said before, I can have many parts made in Spain at whatever specifications. For example: Why buy Elring head gaskets from Superformance when they are actually built in Spain? Seems like a waste of money.
    Just like the piston rings, bought at Superformance and manufactured in the US...hate throwing my money away.

John.

18. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Martin,
    You just mentioned one of the first things I pointed out at the very beginning, now... I do agree that calculations are not all that easy, for example: I repair diesel engines constantly, head bolts are always between 11 &12 mm thick, the majority are torqued at 11/12 Kg/m and average compression on a diesel is 23 to 1.
    I have never seen a bolt snap.

We can argue all day, it is what it is.

John.

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,

I just wanted to say 'why inventing the wheel once more, when others -reputable and reliable- have done it already with a lot of effort?
    Though I don't know, how much Dave charges for his head gaskets and studs.
    His fuel hoses were very expensive, yes. But for such important parts I have no problem to make a one-time investment which is much more, than for the crap I get everywhere. And I consider it as a support for folks, who are constantly working on quality parts supply for us. If noone purchases their expensive -at first glance, later it pays for itself- parts, sources will run dry and we will have to make do with scrap parts.
    Same with Verell's - Unobtainium Supply - remanufactured plastic parts. They seem to be expensive. But only because some folks constantly compare their prizes with massproduction coming from the Far East. Luckily most are happy though, that those parts are available at all again.

And when it comes to existential important parts, the less we talk about SF UK, the better. No wait, even their window switches ended in my garbage can and I rebuilt my old ones.

But I just see, you started too, calling all this 'arguing'.

Best Regards
    Martin

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Meanwhile I found another headgasket from the second german well known gasket manufacturer besides Elring. I'm getting more and more curious about what's going on with these headgaskets. They are from 'Victor Reinz', - OEM Bugatti Veyron among others - and though the dealer, where I found them, is not known for being the cheapest, they are € 130.00/each.

Best Regards
    Martin

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's $500 from Ferrari.

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I researched further. My mistake. The headgaskets I mentioned are not Victor Reinz. It seems, that they are custom made exclusively for this parts dealer. Only the base material is from Reinz.
    I love such things; The dealer somehow phrases his description, that even in my native language I first thought, the gaskets are completely made by Victor Reinz.

Best from Germany
    Martin

23. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Martin,
    Don't get offended, when I say argueing, I mean taking the thread to points far apart from the subject. For example; I have mentioned several times my problem and requested advice, pointing out that I can get the gaskets made.
    First useful answer was on the studs... go to 11mm , second useful answer is yet to come...what material and construction should I request when ordering the gaskets?

See, no argument, I'm trying to keep it simple.

John.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To be honest a few of us went to great expense to solve the issue in a highly reliable way and we keep that information for our clients. Dave won't tell you much about his gaskets and I won't about mine. The good news is Dave will sell you some. I'd call him.

MFlanagan likes this.
  25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That's what I thought from the beginning. Others have to live only from their development work. Like me. Not to imagine, if I would give it away.
    It's sufficient, that I and my customers regularly have to experience plagiarism by the Chinese and meanwhile Indians too (the people from India, not the native Americans)

But I am still interested in the Elring-issue.

Best Regards
    Martin