Correct 328 head torque | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Correct 328 head torque

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hinecker, Mar 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Elring gaskets I am quite sure are great for 95% of the applications. The composite material is too hard for an engine with wet liners. As we have seen with most of the various subcontractors who tool up to reproduce products it is as though it is assigned to an engineer who has no direct knowledge why it was made the way it was and proceeds with doing it the way he has for everything else.

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks. I now believe, that I got it. They didn't take the wet liner protrusion tolerances into account when choosing the material. Right?
    If so, no wonder, that I found one dealer, who recommends using silicone sealant. On the headgasket. Yuk!

Best Regards
    Martin

3. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Brian,
    Thanks for your rapid and honest response, does Dave have an email? Due to timeframe between Europe and the US, calling is uncomfortable.

Once again, thanks.

John.

4. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Martin,
    I agree with your statement on suffering plagiarism, we are the victims. But I wouldn't blame countries or races of workers. Workers do what they're told, just like me.
    Wouldn't surprise me at all that whoever is behind this "may be" some European or US company looking for more profit.

Just my thought, you don't have to agree.

John.

5. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Martin,
    The protrusion on the liner is a proper design, as blocks tend to raise above liner with time, this is a common problem with aluminum blocks (PSA and Renault run into the same problems).
    Now I agree on that trying to correct the problem with sealant is a cheap, bad fix.

John.

6. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Martin,
    Maybe I'm different, I have no problems on giving out advise or telling people how I fixed a problem... Just makes me feel good. I have restored old vehicles just for the fun and challenge.
    On the other hand, I have a well paying job and my wife is a licensed nurse. All my property has been paid for(Two flats, one in the city, one on the coast and a country house), my kids are healthy and their almost out of collage... I'm 54 and still fly my paraglider and travel all over the world...What more could I ask for?

I consider myself a very, very lucky guy.

John.

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Those, who know me since a longer period here, will probably say the same about me. At least I hope so.
    But giving away know-how, gained through big expenses and part of ones living, is a different matter.

I understood it that way, if the liner protrusion is at the upper tolerance, the new, harder material may no more be able to level out the liner surface and block surface.

As for the other topic. I think, I stop now, because this would go too far here and belongs into the Politics&Religion subforum. What means a FChat subscription is necessary. Discussing politics on the car subforums is always threatened with an at least temporary ban.

Best Regards
    Martin

8. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    I see your point, specially if this is part of your business.

9. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Yah! let's focus on the gasket problem.

10. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Skipped this comment, I'll do some research.

Thanks!
    John

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I allow myself to answer. His e-mail-address is on his website. Or haven't you found the website yet? Like already mentioned, some are a bit anal here regarding Dave's business.
    If you reply on the private message I sent you yesterday giving me your e-mail-address, I can send you the contact details you need.

Best Regards
    Martin

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes. But don't skip my comment, which followed directly, too. And destroyed hope.

Best Regards
    Martin

13. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    OK, will do

John.

14. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Skipped that one too:(

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never seen liner protrusion change in a Ferrari motor. They are far to well located.

16. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Brian,
    Blow a head gasket and you would be surprised how much that protrusion clearance can change.

John.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In over 40 years I have never seen a classic blown head gasket in a Ferrari.

Quit assuming these are like the junk you are familiar with and quit assuming you are the only one here who knows anything.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That's what I was told from my former Ferrari mechanic (R.I.P.), who supported me when looking for a car back in the 90s. "Blown head gaskets [in the sense how described in the textbook] are just 'No Problem!' on these V8s". The reason, why I always kept my hands off the head nuts.

If I calculate correctly and nothing unexpected happens, given the kms I drove the last years with the car and common experiences about when a rebuild is due, the rebuild could come, when I plan to retire. Early enough for me to fiddle with head gaskets, when I have all the time to do so :)

Of course this is based on the confidence I got in my raw, unrefined carb Euro-car over the decades, regardless of horror stories.

Best from Germany
    Martin

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Since this refers to french engines, I agree!

though not aiming at me, I allow to state this was once again unnecessary.

Best from Germany
    Martin

20. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Brian,
    Don't put words in my mouth I haven't said, now...I have said many times on this chat that I'm a mechanic, maybe not best in the world, but I am a mechanic.
    I have also said that my only experience with Ferrari engines relies to what I have learned with mine.

Based on my experience, repairing different engines over 35 years, I can assure that the "Perfect engine or gearbox" does not exist.

Using the word "junk" to describe other brands is totally non respectful and out of place.

I do not agree with you, yet I do appreciate posting your opinion. That's what freedom is all about.

BTW, Aluminum is aluminum, steel is steel and wheels are round, prove me wrong on that one!

Regards,

John.

21. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Brian,
    My Ferrari has never overheated, then how would you explain that the head and block banks were warped???
    Head gaskets were Elring "junk" made in Spain with very poor quality material, at least that's what someone stated on this chat.

Guess what? gaskets did NOT FAIL or leak. Could you illuminate this poor dumb mechanic with your knowledge?

John.

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  23. Mario Elring Technician

Mar 20, 2019
    #73 Mario Elring Technician, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Hello all,

Martin invited me to join this thread - maybe I can add some information regarding Elring CHG.
    I have to read the conversation first, general questions are welcome…

Kind regards
    Mario

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Had an in-depth and comprehensive conversation with Elring this afternoon. Though the informations from Brian were a bit sparse, he was right. What does not mean, that Elring gaskets are junk, because they are now coming from facilities outside Germany and not because there are now more modern materials than the asbestos base material gaskets from the 60s. It's simply necessary to adjust liner protrusion regarding the new materials and stricly maintain block and head tolerances.
    Some WSM-data may no more be valid and have to be adjusted.
    I invited the tech in authority to sign up on FChat and hope, he will participate here soon.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/mario-elring-technician.226608/

Best from Germany
    Martin

25. Mario Elring Technician

Mar 20, 2019
    Hello all,

I already signed up this afternoon and my comment is still waiting for moderator approval - hope this works with the answer function.

Martin invited me to join this thread - maybe I can add some information regarding Elring CHG.
    Martins explanations are correct, I can give some details if requested. Of course I do not know all the engines in detail, but to understand CHG this is not the most important thing.
    Some facts are valid through all engine families, because the are due to technical changes through the decades.
    I have to read the conversation first, general questions are welcome…

Kind regards
    Mario

miketuason, JuLiTrO and Martin308GTB like this.