488/458 Sound Comparison | Page 5 | FerrariChat

488/458 Sound Comparison

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jaa1359, Mar 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    +458 :) :) :)

2. Lethal

Lethal Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2016
    Miami
    #102 Lethal, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    458 F1 screams ftw

johnr265, italiafan and tekaefixe like this.
  3. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Yes, one of the best sounding Ferraris ever made! And the design is perfect!

4. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    If you buy a Ferrari and "spend most of the time in low revs," then you don't appreciate what you've purchased! I have a stock exhaust on my 458 and it sounds amazing. I've gone through many tunnels and it just screams.

xfrgtr likes this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    True, sound is/was the essence of Formula 1 Ferrari. F1 sound is the epiphany of automotive symphony that stimulates the vestibulocochlear nerve reverberating joyful auditory bliss.
    This will be a lost art in automotive history that the younger generation sadly will never appreciate.
    The 458 and Speciale are the Last of the Mohicans.

Sent from my 16M

tekaefixe likes this.
  6. Suborbital

Suborbital Karting

Apr 25, 2018
    Fallbrook, Ca

If you think a stock 458 sounds good, a 458 with the OE Ferrari sport silencers sounds that much better, you can still find dealerships with stock here and there. Not obnoxious, doesn’t change the note, just 25% louder and sharper.

7. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Do toy think ferrari will ever build car with NA v6 or v8? turbowill never sound NA good as NA, or maybe one day we will se electric turbo not mount on exchaust pipe ....

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Awesome!
    I need to do the same!
    What exactly did you have done so I can look into replicating it...thanks!
    ~cost?

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Full system IPE: headers, test pipes, and their exhaust (no CEL).
    I’ll have to look into cost because I had a friend was able to discount for me. Pretty sure all 3 total retail is still under $10k.

Edit: did a quick search, Velos sells:
    Exhaust $6k
    Test pipes $2k
    Headers $3500

Sent from my 16M

italiafan likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm always mildly amused when people start talking about "how great the 488 sounds". It sounds like crap.

I was just telling my girlfriend last night: I'm getting more and more worried about the future. What's coming down the road in a few more years here? A turbo V6 with some sort of hybrid KERS setup for the street? I mean I'm sure it will be modern and space-age and all that, but will it move me? Will I love it and want to care for it? Will it make my day better when I find a few free moments to escape the office and go for a drive? The 488 sure didn't do that - not even close. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to go back and re-buy my old 458 Italia?

For me, I'm so Ferrari loyal that I kinda only want a Ferrari. Actually, not "kinda" - for me, it's only been the Ferrari dream since I was 16 years old. I feel like anything else is 2nd best as far as cars go. If Ferrari doesn't make something amazing, I'm just stuck driving my pickup truck around town for fun.

I'm seriously starting to dream about the Lusso... wtf

Ray

italiafan likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    ...what a joke. Some of you guys need to give it up. In case you didn't know, it's starting to look like you've got nothing else to hold on to. Sad....for you guy's that is.

12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Not a Italia, a Spider! It’s sounds soooo much better!

RayJohns likes this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You mean he’s not allowed to express his opinion about what makes him passionate about cars?
    You mean it is a “joke” that great many car enthusiasts like something other than what you like?

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #114 Shadowfax, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    No - what I mean is its a joke how some keep going on and on about it. It's as if that's all they have to hang on to. Nothing at all wrong with having a differing opinion but to keep laboring the same old worn out opinion like a broken record indicates perhaps some can't be as happy as they make out they are and have to try and rain on others pleasure in a bid to make themselves feel good somehow. It's as if the truth must be such that they are so annoyed the 488 sounds so good they just can't deal with it.... I mean this thread started in 2016 and it's much the same guys pushing the same old barrow and it's 2019. Like seriously? I mean it's time to get over it and move on fellas....and let others enjoy what they like too....if that's humanly possible.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Okay, gotcha...one is only allowed to express new opinions that differ with your’s. Noted.
    I assume new and old opinions that agree with you are acceptable however.
    ;)

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Laughable.
    Sure glad not all 458 owners behave like the select few here. It's called being happy with your own lot. You should try it one day.:)

17. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Stop fighting, you guys look like a cute gay couple, simply, simply lovely.

RayJohns likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

I really don't understand you.
    Some guys with a 458 state that they prefer the sound to the 488...and you act as though you are the final arbitrator of sound quality perception and then take it two steps further claiming that the "real" motivations for doing so reside in some deep inner psychological trauma about 1) not being able to afford a 488 and thus "sour grapes", and 2) are generally unhappy with their lot in life.
    Your armchair psychological assessments, and endless grandstanding about this issue as well as McClaren issues have now consigned you to be only the second person in my 13 years on FChat to be placed on ignore (the other guy waxes poetic about everything supercar, yet doesn't even drive a car and either lives in LA or Canada...but we can't be sure....you're in good company).
    For the record I prefer the sound of the 458 over the 488, and I could buy dozens of 488s if I so chose, and I am very very happy with my station in life.
    Goodbye.

xfrgtr and Roland1688 like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    ^ See what I mean, LOL.

I bought 3 458’s and am not ruling out a 4th.
    I hope the BBrother will rerun is to glory though with sound. If not I remain in Performante and 458 and TDF land.
    But I too dream of a Lusso and that my friend IS odd!

20. Roland1688

Roland1688 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    Taipei
    Full Name:
    Roland
    I personally prefer the sound of 458 to 488.

plastique999 and xfrgtr like this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Says the man driving a convertible...

:)

Ray

tekaefixe likes this.
  22. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Ehehe such a gay comment. I wish most most people in the world would be half as nice as any gay person I know.
    They are owesome!

And.... I do love my gay car ahah

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My ex business partner was gay. I always have to specifically include the word "business" when talking about him, otherwise people think my ex-partner was gay...

Ray

24. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Ahahah good one :D
    Gay means happy, so I’m quite gay when I drive my gay car. So much gayness!

Just like members of the forum getting upset with such simple things. Just enjoy your cars man.

25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo