918 Spyder | Page 3 | FerrariChat

918 Spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Nov 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well yes but what I meant is that it doesn’t break away like an all wheel drive car normally does. The axles can fight each other. This was reported by Whoopsie, an owner who used to post here, multiple times. Bus driver might be able to comment. Anyway, not trying to downplay the greatness of the car just making chit chat.

2. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Sure, the tuning of the software to get the front electric motors to play well with the engine power going to the rear can't have been easy. Porsche went to the limit of what was possible at the time of development, and it resulted in a Nurburgring record, but as with any supercar there will be some character-adding quirks.

To be honest, most of the greatest supercars of all time have at one time or another been reported to have fatal handling tendencies - it's part of the charm. :)

3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Chris Harris riding along in a development prototype and speaking with Walliser:

Walliser has recently been promoted to head of the 911 line, perhaps we will see more 918-inspired tech going into that car going forward.

4. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Looks like the market is softening 1.1 at Amelia Island. I wonder if the CGT will eventually surpass the 918 in value.

5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The market has retracted over the past 1-2 years, it's a slow move downwards but this is nothing new. The 918 is much rarer than the CGT in the USA especially, so I don't expect a crossing of paths any time soon, but certainly the CGT is on a more healthy market trajectory due to age and the purity of purpose, which is always appealing to enthusiasts

joe sackey likes this.
  6. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Two 918 Spyders lapping at COTA

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Production video & factory tour

8. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    As you know, the 918 is not really an AWD car. The front and rear axles are not connected via a drivershaft and the car cannot redistribute power between the front and rear depending on traction like a normal AWD car. The 918 is mostly RWD (~800 hp) with a little bit of FWD (~130 hp).

In the wet, the 918 handles like a big horsepower RWD car, but a real challenge to stay on top of the car. It all makes sense once you realize that you are driving a heavyish oversteery 10 liter mid engined car on dry track oriented tires:

First, the normal trick of running a gear higher to reduce wheelspin doesn’t help much. Power delivery and response is like a 10 liter normally aspirated engine (max torque 944 lbft) and the car will break the rear tires loose even in higher gears - for example at 125 mph in a straight line on a damp track. Second, the standard Michelin Cup 2 tires are terrible in the wet. Third, the car is setup very oversteery - much more than say a Cayman GT4. Fourth, it is a 3600+ lb mid engined car and you better be ready to catch that tail when it steps out.

Overall, the 918 is a much better and more natural handling car than AWD cars like an Aventador or even a Huracan. But much more intimidating than a CGT (wet or dry track).

Boomhauer, Jo Sta7 and joe sackey like this.
  9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Proper summary!

joe sackey and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nice to see a real owner-enthusiast share meaningful experience!

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

NürScud, Boomhauer and joe sackey like this.
  12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    NürScud and Sterling Sackey like this.
  13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I really love the RS Spyder.

Thanks for sharing.

:)

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

joe sackey, Jo Sta7 and Thecadster like this.
  15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Sapphire Blue car in Japan. This is one of the nicest colors of the standard palette IMO, we know a nice USA-based example available in the same hue.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

GuyIncognito and NürScud like this.
  17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Nicolas21, NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Really enjoyed this short driving video not far from where I live!

joe sackey likes this.
  19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I am currently logging 918 Spyders for my internal registry, and I noticed something a bit strange I thought I should point out here.

Car #324 is currently for sale under two different VIN numbers, at two different dealers: incorrect WP0CA2A10FS811324, and the correct WP0CA2A10FS800324.

Not a huge deal necessarily (first VIN could be a typo), but I noticed both VINs have a Carfax attached to them acknowledging them as real (both clean), which is strange to say the least. The Carfax reports are free and advertised with the cars on the respective dealers' websites.

As a buyer I would want to take note of this and ensure I ask a few questions - could be nothing, but quite odd!

joe sackey likes this.
  20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Very rare "Flame Retardant Fabric" option for the 918 Spyder with Weissach Package interior. The seats are trimmed in similar fabric to what would typically be found on a racing bucket seat, something also seen most recently in European 997 RS cars.

Shown here on car #504.

21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Saw #517 with Weissach Package at PECLA this past weekend. Love this spec, with the subtle silver calipers as opposed to the more typical Acid Green.

22. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B

Attached Files:

23. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

24. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The 918's super short exhaust results in some incredible flames...

Boomhauer likes this.