Washer Bottle | FerrariChat

Washer Bottle

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dorsetgem, Mar 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dorsetgem

Dorsetgem Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Verwood UK
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Hi All
    I have just gone through some older posts but haven't found an answer. I would like to clean my washer bottle as it is very dirty & grimy. It is currently soaking in washing up liquid but I wonder if anyone has used something more aggressive to get it looking new ?
    Thanks

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Some says bleach works well.

3. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Remove the pump n cap den,

Presoak overnight in hot water an dawn dish soap den Trow it in ya dishwasher.

Your girl will think youz great if ya trow another dish or two in der also.:D Fuggedaboudit

4. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    This might be a really dumb question (so apologies in advance), but what's the easiest way to disconnect the bottle from the pump?

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Easiest: Buy a new pump ($18) and cut the old one off with a Dremel.

eyeman1234 and Martin308GTB like this.
  6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    +1. Especially since the new pumps install much easier without that inner sheet metal ring. The new ones have a different seal, which simply locks into place.
    Thanks once more to Robert -Crowndog-, who sent me a new pump last year.

As for cleaning the bottle. It might be of little to no help, but I cleaned mine by submerging it - after removal of the old pump- in my ultrasonic cleaner, filled with a highly concentrated, plastic friendly cleaning solution and with heating. And let it run for half an hour at 50 centigrades.

Before:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

After:

Best Regards
    Martin

Rosey and waymar like this.
  7. Dorsetgem

Dorsetgem Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Verwood UK
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Looks good

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks. The problem with cleaning such things, is reaching every corner on the inside. This is, what ultrasonic cleaning can easily cope with.

Best Regards
    Martin

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    BTW. It just comes to my mind, that before I fill in my fresh coolant after my recent work, I would like to clean the inside of my header tank. It was never cleaned in 38 years and there are all kinds of hardened debris, especially on the sidewalls. Otherwise it's looking good. I suspect no deeper corrosion.
    Did anyone perform this task? What's the best cleaner to use? I suspect, that something acid would work best, but I'm a bit hesitant. I would once again put the header tank into my US-cleaner, which I can heat up till 80 centigrades.

Best Regards and thanks in advance
    Martin

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Martin, is your ultrasonic adjustable? Might be too much for a hard, thin, metal.

Lester

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Lester,

unfortunately no. It works with constant 160watt US-power. I can only adjust time and heater temperature. Do you think, that's too much for the header tank's brass sheet metal?
    The stainless steel tub of the US-cleaner is not much thicker. But it actually shows some erosion, especially around the piezos.

Tub wear (erosion) after approx 200 hrs. in use:

The cleaner:

Best Regards
    Martin

13. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Martin, that is much smaller than I thought. I was expecting a big commercial unit. I don't think it would be a problem but you might find someone else's tank to try first. ;-)

Lester

14. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Martin
    Is that an inline filter on the Cavis hose? That is an excellent idea stopping sending unwanted particles down to the nozzles. What kind of filter is that? I like to do the same.
    David

15. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #15 Saabguy, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Can't delete post... so never mind. I was thinking of another pic.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    David,

Yes.

It's a small inline fuel filter, used on small motor vehicles, like scooters for instance.

But I haven't installed it with the new pump. I had the impression that it restricts flow too much. But I will try once more soon, because the new pump is so much more powerful than the old worn out or -more likely - partially seized one. Had to adjust the nozzles, because the first try ended with washing the engine lid and roof instead of the windshield.

Lester,

as for my US-cleaner. Yes, it's the smallest I found, which still takes two Weber 40 DCNF. That was my aim. Because the bigger, the longer it takes to heat up and the more cleaning solution is needed. Mine has a roughly 10 ltr. capacity.
    Had a cheap chinese machine from ebay before. But was not happy with its US-power. This is much better, costing €1.200.00 though. But it's worth its weight in gold. Since I have it I don't waste time no more with manually cleaning things as long as they fit into this washing machine.

Best from Germany
    Martin

17. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    That makes sense Martin, I purchased a used one large enough to load a 3 cyl engine into. Got a great deal as someone bought and found that it didn't do what they wanted it to. Yes, it takes a lot of time to heat up and I need a garden hose to fill it.

Lester

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Pictures? :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

19. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    When I get out to my shop, might be a few weeks.

Lester

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    My "shop" and garage is just downstairs, but this is also the reason, why I slowly run out of space for my gear and could not purchase an US-cleaner taking a (american) V8-block :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    For those of us that do not have an ultrasonic cleaner lying around I'll share a tip that I previously offered to scrub the inside of tail lights. Half fill the bottle with a solution of water/bleach/and some dish soap. Then add a half cup of un-cooked rice. With the bottle sealed shake it vigorously and the soft rice will gently scrub every corner on the inside of the bottle. Rinse and repeat as necessary and you can achieve some incredible results.

Over time the bottles will yellow so you can never get that fresh white of a new bottle but you can get it very very clean and even looking with a little elbow grease.

eyeman1234, Martin308GTB and thorn like this.
  22. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Long screwdriver down the throat to pop off the ring. You will want to replace it with a much easier to install pump. Search for my thread on this .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

thorn likes this.
  23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  24. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    IIRC they were already gone, when I asked you last year. But I remember I saw them before the big update.
    Have to look,what happened to mine on older threads.

The big update leaves much to be desired. Especially it's the 'internet short living'-philosphy, They don't even give us enough time to go over tech posts once more. 10 minutes is a joke. I fear, quality is not the priority.
    A lot of things went down the drain with the introduction of the modern look. Support for subscription paying members too.

Best from Germany
    Martin