2004 Z06 ? | FerrariChat

2004 Z06 ?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by thecarreaper, Mar 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Any of you C5 Z06 current or former owners care to chime in in 2019?

Used search, read a few old threads on here. Clicked thru the links to a few vette / Z06 forums.
    • My take away is to stay away from the early Z06 due to valve and no longer available abs parts issues.
    • Control column locks can cause problems, but are either already bypassed by now or can be.
    • Have a thread in Silver about needing a second car, and now my 2011 F150 has a transmission recall to take care of so I am motivated to buy something and stop researching myself into corners.
    Pre 2010 Boxsters, Caymans and Maseratis all have too many issues and high property tax charges (Thanks Georgia @ 8%) and I keep seeing C5 Vettes for under $20k, some way under. No track driving. Just work back up and fun weekend car.

I *should* buy some generic suv or crossover as I have a house now and am hoping to move to another this year. However, I sold my last fun car, the silver 86 Ferrari 328 in January 2015 after graduating from Embry-Riddle and expected great things to happen. The Great Things did not happen and now its 2019. Need something fun that does not drop valves, have IMS issues, cam variator issues and cylinder wear issues.

Please share a few words of wisdom.

Have checked with Hagerty on insurance (cheap) and the Ga stupid property taxes are "reasonable".

Have cash and will stop posting "help me" threads :)

anunakki, of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    C5 Z06 from 2002 to 2004 same car ..the 2001 had some issues with oil burning.

The 2002 to 2004 are great values for the money

I would try to buy a low mileage one and if you are looking for possible increase in value try to look for 2004 Z06 commemorative edition

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

thecarreaper likes this.
  3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have over 100k mi of daily driving and going to HPDE events with same car. Had completely stock to built engine. Overall, this car was the most satisfying Corvette I have ever owned and the driving experience is awesome. The items you mentioned are true. The module can be easily repaired or cost $1k to replace if you go that route. I recommend ANY 2002 model you put new valve springs in. This is under $500 to do so why not and be safe. Yes I had a broken spring and dropped a valve and put the rod through the side while only driving at 35mph in my neighborhood heading to work. It was an 02 and I knew the risk. I could have prevented it. Never had a column lock issue and did not bypass either. Again, it was one of those that I knew the risk but also knew it would be cheap to fix without a big payout. If it happened it would be more of a hassle. Plus I read somewhere if you pull the wheel hard enough it will free up. Don't know if that's true. Make sure whatever you get it has the stock windshield. The windshield is not common across the C5 line. The Z has thinner glass. If it has been replaced most likely it will leak at the pillars on each side and it can get ugly. I went through this too and no matter how many times I took it back to the shop they could not get it to stop. I learned to live with it.

If you have not driven one go do it. The power to weight ratio, the steering, it all works very well. On track, it was a blast. Most would talk about how scary the ass end was on track not knowing where the limits were or what it was telling you. I went to driving school with this car so I got to learn it before any others and tracked it for years. In that time I only spun once and it was my fault for shifting at the wrong point. I cannot say how much I love this car. Had a 2012 Centennial ZR1 that I would track too. Crazy power, even crazier braking. Not as fun either. It felt more like a GT than a sports car. Sold it. Looking for another 2002/03 Electron Blue with Mod Red interior that I will put the ZR1 brakes on and go have at it. The LS6 motor with minimal mods can hang with a stock C6Z with equal drivers. It's that good. Hopefully fatbillybob will pop on here and tell you what he thinks. He still races one. This car dominated SCCA T1 div for over 10yrs straight before the rules got to it.

of2worlds and thecarreaper like this.
  4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    thecarreaper likes this.
  5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've never owned one but have driven a ton of them as they always come through our shop. Definitely one of my favorites. Honestly would rather have one of those than a C7.

Really comfortable car and in the range of -perfect- (IMO) as far as power to weight ratio and gear ratios being very usable on the street.

PaulK and Eric R like this.
  6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You pretty much summed it up in a couple of sentences.

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thank you so much, I read some of your posts in older threads but did not want resurrect them from 9+ years ago.

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    If there is anything you want to know ask. I have owned two 2002 C5Z's from 2004 to 2015. I think I got it down.

thecarreaper and of2worlds like this.
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I drove my c5z commemorative z16 as a streetcar 7000miles. Then I tore it up and turned it into a racecar and I still race it today. It has raced 23 tracks. I have some perfect interior in black should anyone need.

01 to 02-04 minor difference that can be corrected with updated parts like just the cam and something else. No big deal at all. Electronics never an issue even with early cars. We race them in specCorvette too. The C5 is like a 911. You can win in any class it will fit in.

Ask me whatever you want...been there done that including engines clutch’s etc.

Jakuzzi, thecarreaper and of2worlds like this.
  10. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Ah you just reminded me about the stock clutch. If you drag race or it even happened to me on track, the clutch pedal can stick to the floor usually going from 2-3rd. First time it happens you freak out then realize A) it will pop back up eventually or B) you use your foot to pop it up. There were many debates about always flushing your clutch fluid to doing the drill mod. The issue is hydraulic related. I was running a LS7 clutch and would flush my fluid before each track event and never had another problem.

Jakuzzi, thecarreaper and of2worlds like this.
  11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I never had any problem with stock clutch or any aftermarket monster clutch. My racecar is stock motor stock clutch config for the class. Car lives at redline. I have been through four motors and change clutch each time. Always same old flywheel. Clutch is not a problem for me racing. I’m very abusive. Car ran SCCA t1 for years then t2, the last two years both classes. I have a lot of racing on that c5

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I am very surprised to hear you never had an issue. I had it happen twice rather early in my ownership. Could it be I got better at driving it that it did not happen again or the frequent fluid changes? Who knows. But it was the one issue that had a raging debate on the other forum back in the day. It was Ranger who documented his fluid flush technique that I followed. Otherwise, you are living the dream!

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ranger method IMO really did not work. The C5 should just have a clutch bleed line. Once things are done the right way all the problems go away. Clutch dust gets past seals and shows up as black looking clutch fluid. For me racing that happens a few times a year or about every 3rd race weekend. I suck the reservoir add fluid and bleed it. Zero clutch issues for me. I use chepo Valvoline synthetic fluid too. Perhaps low mile drivers sitting attracting more water into the fluid makes more problem? In the C5 as the shifting gets notchy that is a sign of clutch wearing especially difficult shift to reverse. IMO that's the C5 warning you to change your clutch disc.

of2worlds, thecarreaper and Eric R like this.
  14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Did you change the motors due to upgrades or were there wear issues due to the racing schedule?

Thank you for the replies. I have inquired with a few dealers on the East coast and should be able to get a car this week.

15. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I had a 2002 and a 2003. I believe, if memory serves me right, that certain 2003's have a different fuel pump versus the older models and how it reads fuel pressure. Just to keep in mind if you supercharge a later model.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LS6 motor is strong. I just change stuff a lot. I have a full garage/shop lift and all. Tires are only fast one race etc... Racing is just a money pit.

17. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Bought new a '02 ZO6 as a DD and it was fantastic. Did have the steering column issue but was fixed under warranty and that was it as I recall. At about 25k miles I had a Pro Charger installed giving the cat nearly 550 hp at the wheels and drove it for another 25k without problems. Stupid fast for that chassis (borderline unsafe) but what a hoot. For a clean, fairly low mile DD sports car @ less than 20k? I think the car would be a steal.

18. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    My best friend has one which he's put a good amount of money into since his 2nd gear went out. It was a case of just not having it inspected but overall the car has been quite reliable. I wanted to buy one years ago. If you get a high mileage one they can be had for 10-15k which is a steal. The interiors are a bit of a letdown, though.

Valve springs are the main issue. I also know my buddy did something to the clutch line so it has a bleeder nipple.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Valve springs are not an issue with streetcars. We change the valve springs on race cars because they live at redline. But the change is preventative after you got a couple seasons of racing on the motor. We just use the standard oem LS3 springs (superceeded LS6 springs) and they are an easy replace. OEM bleeder is difficult to reach so we put bleeder lines on them so you bleeder out is by the brake master now. easy. A Z06 tranny used good working is $2k an engine is $3k. Anyone need one I got plenty of spares. Brake Rotors are 50 bucks. I got a near brand new set of seats 7000 miles on them you can have them for $400 bucks the pair! You need a set of wheels? $600 bucks. You need a fender? $175 in the color of your car! Vettes are cheap! An old C5Z will run better than any Ferrari you have ever owned.

20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Yeah parts are cheap and they run pretty good. He spent about $2,300 or $2,600 to rebuild the transmission which I'd rather do as well instead of $2k for a used one. Engines I'm not sure what they go for but relatively cheap. His dad drove it through a puddle on a rainy day and hydrolocked it. Ended up replacing the engine with an LS2 and some custom heads so it puts out 480 to the wheels now.

21. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I had an 01 Z06 that I rescued after Katrina. It was among the most fun-to-drive cars I have ever owned. The seat of your pants driving experience was unbeatable. I moved on to newer and more powerful Vettes after it, but still talk about how much fun it was. For the price, they can't be beat. It was the 385 horse car, but felt much faster than my C6. Never had engine issues, but never tracked it either.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I race in a class where the vettes are slowed down so others can compete. I have to use a 50mm restrictor and add ballast so I am 3525lbs after the race! I can still hit 160mph in the timing trap at Daytona on pump gas. I couldn't be putting out 350 to the wheels in that configuration plus moving 400 more pounds than the streetcar. The stock Z06 has plenty of useable power right up to redline and past it about 500rpm if you are ok with a 2 season motor. The ECU's are tunable for things like RPM limit and remap for 100octane race gas or even optimized for pump gas.

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Fell down a rabbit hole of search and found a ZHZ vette that was a Hertz rental. LS3 and z51 package, 2008. Really like the z51 package.
    ZHZ has 72,000 miles, but for $16,000with an Ls3 and Z51 it is very tempting.

I am certain I will be made fun of for *buying* an ex rental. :) Dealer said I can get it inspected today if I want. Then figure out shipping.

24. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Sorry but I fully disagree. I popped one at 35mph leaving the house to go to work one morning. Car was 100% stock with 70k mi. I had tracked it many, many times too. No warning or anything. Here is a good lists of valve spring issues for you: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3069497-build-date-vin-analysis-of-ls6-valve-spring-failures.html

25. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Before you buy it I think you should drive both first then decide. They are that different. Plus GM underrated the LS6 because the next generation base had to be close to the outgoing top line. GM High Tech mag put a stock LS6 engine on the dyno and showed a little over 425hp at the flywheel back in the day. I put the LS3 480hp crate motor in my car when the valve spring failed. While it did pack more punch (and it should it was modded) over the stock LS6, I had more fun with the LS6 and could have easily out done the LS3 if I added cam and heads to it.