Simcraft Racing Simulator | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Simcraft Racing Simulator

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Thecadster, Dec 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've not bought it yet, I'm in the process of relocating abroad so will only do it after.

The chassis' typically come without wheel, pedals and even without seat (pictured below). They are extremely rigid though.

I'm going with P1 chassis, Sparco seat, Heusinkveld pedals (unsure which one, I've not tried the ultimates yet. The ''base'' version they have is very impressive already), 30nm Augury direct drive unit. Wheel itself I'm undecided over as I'm not sure if I'm going VR (oculus) or just monitors.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Cool. Keep us informed on progress

Bas likes this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    The Simcraft team arrived this morning to begin the 2 day install. I will keep everyone updated.

Bas likes this.
  4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Have a blast

Thecadster likes this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks! My “training” starts tomorrow at 12:45!

6. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Any updates?

7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Amazing. Been too busy using it to review it. I really need to put together full blown review. For now, I'll say this much, it’s exceeded my highest expectations and I consider it to be money well spent.

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro

Great post!!!! very helpful as I'm about to purchase my rig as well.

I was thinking of going with the Rseat S1 though instead of the 80/20 rig. Any thoughts?

https://rseatamerica.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=182

Bas likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

It looks great. I don't know the seat but I'm a little concerned with where the wheel goes, should be fine for a normal wheel but if you intend to use a direct drive I'm not sure if it'll flex or not. It does support the Fanatec Podium (Direct Drive) wheel so who knows.

Well priced however. And less chance of pissing off the wife...I'm first to admit a 80/20 rig is quite erm, industrial looking:p

10. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro

Seems like it can handle it from this review.

11. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    This was the best project I have done to date. I have had countless hours of fun. 1978 Lola T-440, accuforce wheel, HPP pedals, sequential shifter, all modded to connect to the original controls. The car can be easily converted back to race ready. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadR, furoni, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    #62 Thecadster, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    So I recently received a PM asking for more feedback on the Simcraft system and I thought I should double back to this thread so everyone who has an interest might benefit.

I truly regret that I didn’t provide an immediate follow up months ago. In any case, I have been too busy training to craft a proper review. Let me do my best to hit the finer points.

Support: The install itself was far more involved than I anticipated. They first assemble the unit at the factory to function test. Then it’s transported by them via enclosed trailer, fully assembled on a pallet. Once on site, it’s disassembled to be transported piece by piece to it’s final install location, which for me is above a detached garage. Finally, it’s fully reassembled and function tested again. This entire process is a 2 person 12 hour job. That’s day one. Day 2 is split between checking software along with dialing in the motion components plus a detailed orientation for the end user. The orientation itself was phenomenal. The main installer is a former racer and was able to provide tons of solid and practical advice. Additionally, the follow up support has been superb. A couple highlights: 1). System went down on a Sunday (user error) and I sent a text tech support patched into my system remotely and I was soon up and running, 2). I was told to take thorough notes over the first month and they would do a site visit to handle any items, the owner himself came to my home and spent almost an entire day walking me through some of the items I was struggling with (mainly iRacing car setups, more advanced features, etc). The entire team at Simcraft is top notch. The follow up, the support, the care factor... I like those guys so much, I just went by and saw them when I was in Atlanta last week. Spent 2 hours with them talking about upcoming projects, etc.

Quality: The system is robust. It’s rated to support up to a 500lbs occupant. I’m 260lbs and I was concerned about it holding up. It’s extremely sturdy and planted. Once installed, it doesn’t move. The fit and finish is exceptional. You can see everything is well thought out. Simple things like how the cords are routed add to the sense that it’s a professional tool.

Dependability: One of my primary concerns going in is that I suck at doing my own tech support. I imagined that the system would experience significant downtime and those glitches would happen at the worst time. I can honestly say that in the probably 100+ times I have used the unit, I only suffered a handful of problems all of which were caused by me (operator error). The unit is solid. For me, this is a major win, and frankly, a pleasant surprise.

Effectiveness: So I have used the system. A lot. Too much. Drives my wife crazy. I love it. I’ve improved more than I ever thought possible. Make no mistake, I’m no Max Verstappen (who incidentally is spending a ton of time doing IMSA races in iRacing, in fact, he had a day last week where he competed in 5 races in one day), but I am moving up divisions and in the different “seasons” I am routinely top 20-30 out of 500-100 in the world in my respective decision. Now, obviously, I wouldn’t need a full motion setup to beat dudes that aren’t using full motion setups. It’s the motion though, that encourages my usage, which, in turn, improves my skill set. Interesting footnote, this summer I had a chance to do 3 “parade laps” at VIR in my Performante, and even though it wasn’t racing (I did manage to get to create enough space between myself and the pace car to get to 110 on the main straight), I was still struck by how much my intimate knowledge of the track informed my driving on it.

Fun: The system is fun. I think it gets you 85% of the way there. Basic setups with just the triple screens, good pedals, butt shakers, quality speakers, and a quality force feedback wheel probably gets you 60-70% of the way there. In any case, the full immersive nature of the unit creates a huge fun factor.

Value: The other primary concern going in was would I really use the system or would it end up being a clothes hanger. As mentioned before, I use it all the time. I know the system is pricy, but I find it to be money extremely well spent and would happily do it again.

In the end, I would give Simcraft my highest recommendation. It’s worth mentioning too that I did not start out a Motorsport enthusiast. The Ferrari Corso Pilota at Road Atlanta piqued my curiosity, shortly later I attended the IMSA race at VIR with the local Lamborghini dealership, just after that I stumbled onto Simcraft and ordered my unit, and subsequent to receiving my unit, I now watch every F1 and IMSA race, I’m attending the upcoming F1 race at COTA, and, lastly, but most importantly, I am beginning to imagine having a dedicated race car(s) for the purpose of exploring this passion in an even more meaningful way. Ultimately, I think that were it not for the Simcraft unit, I would not have entered into this incredible new world of possibilities.

020147, russellmcg, LARRYH and 4 others like this.
  13. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    VColin and Thecadster like this.
  14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Which software is that? iRacing?

Matt

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That’s phenomenal. I’m super jealous. Max is mainly racing ISMA at this point. He’s ranked #1 out of 4725 racers with 30 wins out of 37 starts so far in Season 4. Notably, he had one day recently where he ran 5 races in one day. With qualifying, etc that is about 5 hours of racing. Sadly, I suck and can’t even hope to get into a race with him. Interestingly, Max runs the Ford GT over the other GTE choices.

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yes.

Smiles likes this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That is so cool ...

Matt

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  19. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Very cool. Love how tightly enveloping the triple monitor setup is. Did you also try it with a VR headset?

Thecadster likes this.
  20. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Very cool. I think we need a video of it in action though! :)

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thecadster likes this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have not tried VR yet. I am so satisfied with the triple screen setup that I really had the desire to swap over. Maybe at some point I should at least test it out. I have the full setup.

23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’ll try and work on that.

24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Quick update regarding the continue after the sale support. The head installer sent me a text out of the blue on Monday. He was coming through town for another install the next day and wanted to know if he needed me to stop by for anything. I said sure. He came by in the evening and spent an hour dialing in a couple components. As I progress, I have more into car setups and how those setups affect the motion. In any case, to voluntarily come through for support that was not requested is simply phenomenal. I couldn’t be any more satisfied.