Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 59 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Turbo 488 isn't quiet at all and I've been told on a few occasions now my 488 can be heard coming up the mountain from miles off - the unmistakable sound of a Ferrari engine gives the game away! Like so much for having a stealth mode...unless you want to drive it like granny!
    I also find it's more than loud on the outside with windows up or down - not sure if I would really want it being much louder tbh. I'd also be truly VERY surprised if F8 was quieter than 488. I think there is a lot of worrying going on here over nothing.....until proven otherwise...;)

Bhh, scuderia-seat and Ash Patel like this.
  2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I spent some time in a friends 918 and I must say that the EV only mode in traffic was quite refreshing over the drone of the engine in a limited rev range. I for one am super excited by BB an the V6 hybrid that's coming.

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    So am I although I was told bb is being offered mainly to 812 owners as a replacement for 812 so unsure at this stage if i'll get a look in - being a 488 owner. Time will tell I guess...
    And agree on the sound. Too much for too long can wear you out. So impressed by 918 eh? Looks a nice car!

4. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    918 is amazing however when going slow and crawling in traffic its not great as it just wants to go hard. With the CF tub there is no "give" and its a rigid uncomfortable ride. However EV mode is great.

BTW: Having driven the 488 over long distance in anger I can say its easier to live with than the 918. F8 will be that much better

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah I think you're right on that. Its all well and good if you only drive short distances to get a thrill but as you know when you are driving all day on the hammer its nice to be in something with some give. Was also pleased to hear reports on Pista quoting it as having a compliant ride in bumpy road mode. F8 may well prove to be the better weapon of choice.

Shack likes this.
  6. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Sorry, I was commenting on US sales, I have no idea what the regulations are in other countries, nor how they are enforced. Replacing exhausts, Cats, etc., is a topic that shows up regularly in this Forum, hence my comment, but your point is taken.

I can advise folks on producing movies, or explain law, but have ZERO engineering knowledge, so have no idea what negatives, if any, come with these GPF's. (I understand the positives from an environmental standpoint.)

Jim

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No probs. Out here our emissions laws would be much the same as yours where it's illegal to tamper or remove any of the emissions equip like cats etc. I know some owners run the gauntlet and remove cats but if they get caught the fines are very heavy. Plus the car stinks bad w/o cats and is genuinely bad for every-ones health.

Desirably an aftermarket system at least tries to accommodate for emissions laws and plays mainly around with increasing the sound a bit - which is again illegal if put to the test. Pays not to be obnoxiously loud or the noise police will send you a letter if they hear you (or you get reported) and then you're in all sorts of strife.
    I think you'll find Ferrari and certain others are getting away with passing the noise tests with the valves closed. I'd be very surprised if our cars passed with the valves opened. I wouldn't worry too much about the GPF tbh. The car has 720hp - so much power - and even if it loses a bit along the course of life you're unlikely to feel it unless the thing really blocks itself up.

JimPVB likes this.
  8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Sorry, but " noise" and " sound " are two differents things.
    Noise is boring, sound is music !
    With turbo engines it s a noise, with NA engines, it s a sound, that s a fact...

Solid State, Evo X and of2worlds like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Music is for V12, all the rest is noise - so it's not worth trying ;)

F140C and Solid State like this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What's perhaps being overlooked here is the increased backpressure and temperature close to the turbo with a constrictive greenie device. That has other implications over time. Freeing up the mufflers down stream may generate more noise but not eliminate what's going on back at the turbos. Again, not a game changing situation but another unnecessary strike against ICE on a vehicle class most never even see on the road.

of2worlds and italiafan like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Exactly....and no need to appologize! 488 is music as I'm sure F8 will be. And many would contest your so called fact, "in-fact" may prefer the sound of the 488 to the 458. They are both Ferrari engines and they both sound good in their own right. And sound being subjective doesn't necessarily mean one is automatically better than the other purely because it is NA. Pity some here cant accept that "fact" by exercising some manners instead of continuing to discredit one against the other all the time.

F140C likes this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Looks like you guys are subjected to price increases because actually you get the cars so much cheaper. When I questioned my rep about price variation the answer was no, no increases

Looks like the F8 comes in at under 5% for us over here

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You sure all countries get it ?

We don't have the side indicators that you have on your cars

sampelligrino likes this.
  14. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    GT cars don't have the start/stop button. At least my 2015 GT3 nor my 2018 GT3 have one.

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Also there is a minor difference where the 991.1 Carreras remembered if the A/S/S was toggled on or off on start up. 991.2 Carreras and supposedly Ferrari’s implementation requires that you toggle off A/S/S every time you start the car. Minor inconvenience, first thing I do in my C4 every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I would want to know as a US customer if the F8 was receiving the PF, the harder part might be finding a truthful/concrete answer

991.2 GT3RS is alleged to get the PF for the second round of production for Europe, but not the US cars as one example (and I could be wrong). I think the 992 is coming to the US though with a PF fitted

Soon Turbo non-PF cars will be the new 458 4.5L screamers (kidding)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WM458 and of2worlds like this.
  17. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Hello,

I am wondering if you know about the OPF/GPF in the 812, is it happening now? If not, do you know when it will be added? And, do you know if the OPF/GPF(s) will be installed in all 812s or only those manufactured for EU/China?

Thanks!

18. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Correct. My 2013 Carrera S had the start/stop button that remembered your last setting after a key cycle. Later models would default to Start/Stop "ON" after a key cycle....annoying.

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sure. Didn't even know about it until someone just posted it. I linked to some common research and found its an EU manifestation. Best.

MANDALAY and of2worlds like this.
  20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    All these arguments about turbo V8 and NA V8 and which one is better or more Ferrari are silly. Everyone knows the only Real Ferrari is one with 12 cylinders...

(Ducks and runs for cover!!!)

Haha!

;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

kandi, stavura, Ash Patel and 5 others like this.
  21. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The best Ferrari is the next Ferrari...

Thecadster, jumpinjohn and jm2 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Exactly!

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

A rear engine V12 would be even better :)

Bhh, day355 and jumpinjohn like this.
  24. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    I am sure it will have to be added in every new Ferrari model that uses DFI. They are to follow the EU regulations. Also think it will become a worldwide standard since it makes no sense to develop and service a drive train twice for one type of car.

25. TomLikesCars

TomLikesCars Karting

Feb 27, 2019
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Thomas Harris