355 P0341 Code | FerrariChat

355 P0341 Code

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by charles.ecker, Mar 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charles.ecker

charles.ecker Rookie

Jun 4, 2016
    Full Name:
    Charles Ecker
    hi all,
    I have a 98 F355 and it has been throwing a CEL with the P0341 code.

So far, I’ve been able to find that this is due to a faulty Camshaft Position Sensor.

Can anyone point me to where this sensor is located? And do you know where I can order a new sensor if this one is faulty?

Many thanks!
    Charles

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Welcome to the forum, Charles.

It's item 39 in this diagram on your '98 car:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/injection-device-ignition.html

So it's on the back of the engine's right hand bank.

Is your car running normally? Sometimes the plugs in this area can be accidentally swapped over (after an engine out). I don't know if there is an easy way to identify the engine harness plugs. In some cases you may have to pull the plug off your Motronics ECU (behind the right hand seat) and do wiring checks from the ECU plug to the sensors.

I'm not sure of your location, so not sure which is the best place for you to buy it. The Ferrari part number is 150866. It's a standard Bosch part, so you won't necessarily have to go to a Ferrari parts dealer.

The Bosch part number is 0 232 103 006. It has a blue plug.

3. charles.ecker

charles.ecker Rookie

Jun 4, 2016
    Full Name:
    Charles Ecker
    Thanks very much for the details. I was able to find the sensor. It wasn’t loose or anything so maybe it has gone bad over time.

I have noticed the car run a little rough at idle when first warming up, but nothing terrible.

I’m located in the USA (New England area). Do you have any suggestions for websites that may carry this part? Thanks again.

Qavion likes this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Are you certain that is the correct factory part? I don't recall a blue connector on my car (I don't own it any longer). I checked the both the Bosch website as well as the F355 parts cross reference page on this forum and both confirm this is the Bosch part number 0261210126. (or perhaps more than one part # works on the F355?) The 0261210126 is inexpensive on Amazon right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Original-Equipment-0261210126-Crankshaft/dp/B00BJLJF1Y

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #6 johnk..., Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    I'm just going by the part number Ian posted. But I think you are confusing the crank sensor for the cam position sensor, thanks to Summit. Don't know why Summit is labeled it a crank position sensor. O'Rileys has it listed correctly, and for less.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/bosch-3073/engine-sensors---emissions-25132/engine-sensors-25049/camshaft-position-sensor-12526/6965b20b2757/bosch-camshaft-position-sensor/0232103006/2573749

Here is the Bosch page, it looks to be the correct one.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/ymme?partId=0232103006&partName=Camshaft Position Sensors

Looks like NAPA has it too

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BED0232103006

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks! Yup, looks like I am mixing them up. My bad.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Happens to the best of us :D I just checked mine, and the plug has a combination of colours ranging from a dark blue-green colour to bright blue. The bright blue matches my new engine harness. It's definitely a "006".

Excellent find, John. Some are listed at over $300.

Charles, as you probably saw, there are two plugs in close proximity to each other. I can't remember the symptoms when they are accidentally swapped over (i.e. whether the car doesn't run at all, or runs badly). How long have you had the problem?

f355spider likes this.
  8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    John could you post this in the 355 sticky
    Interchangeable parts thread. For future reference.

Thanks

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Done.

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thank you sir

11. charles.ecker

charles.ecker Rookie

Jun 4, 2016
    Full Name:
    Charles Ecker
    Ian, the problem surfaced back in October, but I haven't really driven or run the car since then, due to the colder weather.

The car was running pretty smoothly, but at idle there may be a few slight "hiccups." At normal rev ranges there were no differences.

Would anyone happen to know what the symptoms are for when the two plugs are swapped over in this area vs. if the camshaft sensor has gone bad? Thank you.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you don't get an answer here or on the F348/F355 forum, Charles, if you have a multimeter/ohmmeter, I can give you the electrical pin/socket numbers to check (for continuity).

E.g. the middle pin on the camshaft sensor goes to pin 21 on the (5.2) Motronics ECU.

Disable the alarm and use the battery cutoff switch to remove power from the car. Also remove your battery charger if you have one.
    Pull the leather panel off the Motronics ECU behind the right hand seat (a few screws and slide the panel down). There are dimpled washers under the screws (don't lose them).
    Pull the large plug* off the ECU and look for socket 20. There is a legend on the side of the plug showing the plug's (88) pin layout. As the sockets are tiny (smaller than your average multimeter probe) you may need to stick piece of lockwire or fusewire into the socket to make electrical contact.
    If you don't have a long piece of wire to complete the circuit, just find a local earth at each end. It won't take more than 10~15 minutes to check if you have the right equipment.

Unfortunately, a lot of the engine harness plugs are sealed, so you can't see the wire colours and use those as identification.

*The ECU plug has a cam lock on one end and a pivot point/keyway on the other. Be gentle with it in case you bend the pins. Sometimes it's necessary to remove the ECU from the bulkhead to prevent damage to the plug. Note the orientation of the ECU before you remove it.

13. charles.ecker

charles.ecker Rookie

Jun 4, 2016
    Full Name:
    Charles Ecker
    Thank you again for the detailed information. Testing out the ECU is above my mechanical abilities, so if replacing the sensor doesn't help, I will probably take it to my mechanic.

Is it harmful for the engine to drive for a bit with this sensor not working correctly?

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I just did a quick Google search on camshaft sensors and it sounds like your camshaft sensor hasn't failed completely. It's just putting out an unreliable/weak signal. If it fails completely, your car won't run at all. The ignition and fuel injectors won't know when to operate. I wouldn't recommend driving too far (only to your local mechanic).