348 - Tracking your 348/355 | FerrariChat

348 Tracking your 348/355

Discussion in '348/355' started by vdettore, Mar 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I’ve yet to track my 348 but really thinking hard about it. Driving on my local roads can get boring at 45 mph and where I live the twisty roads are far and few between.

For those that are or have tracked your 348 or 355 how was it and is there anything in particular I should do to my car prior or afterwards preparing for the next. I’ve tracked a Corvette before and know the basic prep (brakes, brake fluid, oil change, stuff to take, etc.,).

Thanks in advance for your advise and sharing an experience.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Car prep is the same. Just realize if you're in ga. Maybe road Atlanta for you? That track is not particularly forgiving of errors. 348 body parts are expensive so drive within your limits. Otoh Daytona feels scary but really is not. After the first few laps you realize the penalty for hitting walls is high but it is actually pretty difficult because the banking is so steep, while the infield section is boring as any roval.

Fmuto42, 308 GTB and crinoid like this.
  3. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks!

For now I thought I’d start with Roebling Road and the FIRM near Stark, FL. They’re both within a couple hours of me. Have you done either of those?

4. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    I've taken my 348 to Roebling. It's a great track to "learn" the car on. Very forgiving track. I've been goiung there for almost 20 years annualy with my friends.

vdettore likes this.
  5. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I would set an expectation of what you want to accomplish for the day. I had a 1998 355 and still have my 1997. Same set up but alignment, ride height, and corner weighting must have been different. 1998 oversteer at the limit that would continue to come around with moderate counter steering. 1997 had under steer but very controllable.

As you know even on any track day in any group everyone pushes. Combine that with a 355 or 348 being the most vintage model at the track days that I have done. You soon may find yourself pacing with a Miata on track tires or a new 458 or 488.

You have tracked before in the Corvette so just set your limits. I am sure a properly set up 348 with an experienced driver does pretty well.

For the rest of us its battling with the light weight fully set up Miata or the modern technology of the cars.

Just like on the street the F Car has a target on its back of the guy the millennium wants to beat in his rice rocket

MAD828 and vdettore like this.
  6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Also don’t forget Barber Motorsports Park near Birmingham. Pretty straightforward track although some odd camber stuff in the first few turns. Also has an amazing museum on-site and the largest collection of Lotus F1 cars outside of the UK. And lots of art scattered about the place. Top notch facilities. It’s a pretty amazing place.

Here’s me in the little “corkscrew” part.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley and vdettore like this.
  7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Just get out on the track and get familiar with the car
    Dont over drive it, heck first time I took my challenge car out had emergency surgery the week before and was blind in one eye, if I can do it that way anyone can LOL

Like others said get the car set up first, alignment and ride heights so you have a good baseline

Have fun and dont try to be Mario Andretti

Jasonberkeley, bjwhite and vdettore like this.
  8. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince

Exactly what you mentioned above has me thinking of getting a dedicated track car (though I want to experience my 348 on a track) like a C5 or C6 Vette which are inexpensive to repair/upgrade compared to a Ferrari, even a 348.

It’s deciding what I want to do but either way the first step is just to get out there.

Either way I think I’ll get an open car trailer and get started. Also, I’d like to drive my car through the North GA/TN mountain roads which are 5 hours away and farther than I want to drive in the 348.

9. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Have you joined FCA ? I did for just 1 year and they had track days and touring events. Annual 500 mile, 2 day trips included a chase support vehicle and an enclosed trailer ! Not sure what they do in your region but may be worth investigating.

Nice benefit !

10. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Yes, I’m a member. I hadn’t thought about an FCA event or track day. I’ll take a look. Thanks!

11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've tracked both, and I prefer the FIRM. It has much more variety, and seems much more forgiving if you make a mistake. Roebling is fun too, but all the turns are fast and pretty much the same and if you go off course, you will be going off at a pretty high speed.

I suggest a casual track day where there is no pressure to push you past your comfort level. Brand new brake fluid is a must, I didnt the first time and boiled my brakes lol.
    If you go, I'll try to go too, although its starting to get hot out

vdettore likes this.
  12. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks Kenny, I’ll let you know when I go.

13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Like you said on your Vette, better brake fluid and brake pads than you typically use for just the street, make sure fluid levels correct, and if you regularly track it, an alternative set of wheels and tires (I happen to have a set for sale in the parts section! https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-wheels-with-hoosier-r7-tires-mounted.591941/) so you dont burn-up your street tires and spend alot of time cleaning wheels from baked-on brake dust.

If you track it often, you can also adjust your alignment and ride height settings to be a bit more track friendly without compromising the car on the street. Rake front to rear should be 10mm (with the rear 10mm higher, measured at the frame to the pavement just behind the front tires and just in front of the rear tires). This actually makes a big difference.

Here is what I run on my 348 Challenge which is tracked regularly and driven on the street often. Thanks to Rob at DeltaVee for working with me on these:

Always set ride height first, then set alignment.

Ride Height in MM:
    Front: 104 mm (measured at frame just behind front tires)
    Rear: 114 mm (measured at frame just ahead of rear tires)
    Rake: 10mm

Camber:
    Front: -1.1 degrees each side
    Rear: -2.25 degrees each side

Toe:
    Front: 1.3mm toe-in per side (2.6mm total toe in)
    Rear: 3.5 mm toe-in per side (7mm total toe in)

Castor to factory spec (typically around 5 degrees)

The front to rear rake is really key. Even if you want to run your ride height higher, try and maintain the 10mm delta!

Hope this helps!

Pics from this past Saturday at Lime Rock:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Allen S., vdettore, Wade and 4 others like this.
  14. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I race a C6 in Trans Am SGT (formerly TA3), and they are also great track cars. But i've never had an issue with people being weird about trying to "out-show" the Ferrari. Typically get compliments about it being a cool car and people are glad to see it being tracked. Key is make sure whatever group you are going out on track with has a good reputation for safety and not allowing any potentilly dangerous behavior. The steering is so great on our cars, you have to go track it to really experience it!

vdettore likes this.
  15. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Jason, what brake pads are available for these?

16. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Interesting thread; thanks.

And thanks Jason for posting the geometry figures. I've just had a four wheel alignment done by my local main dealer following suspension rebuild, and just fitted 25mm spacers. I've only drive around 50 miles since the spacers but it feels more planted.

I'm doing a track day week Monday at Silverstone, so will double check my ride height before hand.

First track day in my 348; and cant wait. Was a passenger in a track day in a 458 a couple of weeks ago...ceramic brakes...oh my god!!

I'll report back after my track day!

Jasonberkeley and bjwhite like this.
  17. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    There are a variety, but I know that Hawk makes them for this size in different compounds, as does Pagid. I'm running some really aggressive stuff from the folks that do the brakes on my Corvette Trans Am SGT car, Pro Systems, and their H21 and H16 Project Miu compounds.

I think that the backing plate shape for our brakes is a pretty common profile, so lots of options out there.

chopsui likes this.
  18. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks Jason for all the info.

Yeah I didn’t really want to go out and have a target on my back. It’s been over 10 years since I tracked one of my Vettes a 96’ Lt4. Looking forward to it.

Going to take a look at the track in Starke, Fl next week while on business then pick a day. I’d like to get a day in before it gets too hot.

19. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Have fun!

20. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    So, first track day in the Ferrari today. Silverstone national circuit, so fairly short. Organised by UK Ferrari club.(well organised for sure)

Three groups, race/challenge cars then two groups of road cars, sports and touring. I did touring. 5 sessions of 20 minutes each; which was enough.

About 16-20 cars on track at a time; which in my view was too many as the track was short so you got bunched up.

Biggest issue was whilst I could go faster than all but about 3-4 cars in my group around the corners, most would blow me away down the straights. Big contingent of 488s and 458s, so not possibly to pass them on the straight. Most were nice and would back of a bit to let me past. Couple of lovely 246s suffered the same but more so. 200-300hp vs 600hp plus!!

Huge range of abilities; which is what track days are all about so you just had to be patient from time to time, although a couple of wazzits were a bit too keen some times!

Didn’t do anything special to the car before; just checked tyre pressures, wheel bolt torque and fluids.

I did have the throttle cable come off the pedal in one session. Easy fix, but you can easily see how it can happen.

Great fun. Had a couple of squirmmie moments, but kept it all together and learnt a good deal about the limits of my car...well past mine lol!!!

I will certainly do another, but will look for smaller groups and or longer track.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Love the color combination on your car! Gorgeous!

Wade likes this.
  22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    vdettore, fatbillybob and 308 GTB like this.
  23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  24. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
  25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    ShineKen, kenneyd and Jasonberkeley like this.