Relocating to Fla. | FerrariChat

Relocating to Fla.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by captglen, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Hello Fellow Ferrarichat members,
    Wife and I are relocating to the West Palm Area, my wife travels 3-4 days a week and we need to be near Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Airports. Would like any suggestions. Looking forward to meeting everyone and doing some great driving. Any car clubs or car meets would be great.
    Probably will not be down there until Summer time.
    Thanks
    Glenn

Sent from my SM-G965U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I would recommend renting for a year, before buying anything. Give yourself time to learn the area/neighborhoods / price-ranges first.

docf likes this.
  3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Boca Raton and Parkland are probably the two main halfway points. Lots of factors to consider. Kids? Schools? Lifestyle? Budget?

gt1995 likes this.
  4. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    For your wife's flight planning, you should know about Tri-Rail as a train option to get to airports. Tri-Rail drops you off directly into MIA, and links to bus rides to FLL and PBI airports. I mention this as driving/parking at MIA and FLL can be extremely stressing and with uncertain travel time due to traffic congestion/accidents. Your wife can drive and park at a Tri-Rail station in West Palm until she returns from her trip. Website link is below, plus there is app for iPhone (and I assume other OS). What suggestions are you looking for? Sounds like you are somewhat familiar with the area already. Good luck with your move.

http://www.tri-rail.com/

bball16 likes this.
  5. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Thanks for the info input guys.
    my list is long, budget is short.
    i have to have a pool prefer screened in. i would like a dock or a slip near by. 3 car garage and i hear my 3 car garage is not the same as a 3 car garage in Fla.
    My wife and I are older and have kids,grand kids that will visit but live with us.I will need to find a really good independent Ferrari Mechanic.
    The train will be a big plus.
    My wife mentioned renting but i need certain things and i do not want to have to pack a 2nd time.
    No 100k memberships,
    would like a $400 or less HOA.
    Let the fun began.
    thanks
    Glenn

6. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I would go to Boca Raton. Best balance. You can get a three-car with a slip in a non golf area but it is going to run you close to $2 million. Half that if you move inland. Look west on Yamato Road.

7. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
  8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Where does your wife travel to? PBI is a much easier and better airport to fly in and out of vs. FLL. If she's going somewhere she can get to directly from PBI I recommend the Wellington, Jupiter and West Palm areas. If you're out west you're not getting a slip but you can get everything you listed.

Boat storage/slips are $$$, if you can even find one.

HotShoe likes this.
  9. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Her Region is Maine to Key West and Puerto Rico, east of the Mississippi. She flies alot so being somewhat close to an Airport is important.
    thanks
    G

10. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Agree with this recommendation!

11. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Flying down early May and we shall see what is available
    Thank you all for your input. Any Mechanic recommendations ?
    Thanks
    Glenn

12. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    In Fort Lauderdale, Tim Stanford (954 764 7824). Tim has over forty years experience with older Ferraris.

gt1995 likes this.
  13. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Direct flights out of PBI aren’t nearly as easy to come by as out of FLL or MIA if that’s a concern. As people here have alluded to already, Boca is nice but you get less house for the money and you’ll likely want private schools for your kids. Out west you get a lot more house and land for your money and good public schools. You’re not getting anything with a dock for your boat out west.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #14 HotShoe, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Welcome!

As someone who moved from Ohio I can give you lots of help regarding areas, traffic, people, etc. You can message me if you'd like. I would need to know your budget of course. Coincidentally my wife and I are also house shopping right now.

A big thing to consider that no one ever mentions is that the people are very, very different here from the midwest. Odds are you will be homesick for PA for awhile. There are many areas that are great but frankly the people are so stuck up and rude that you will hate it. These places are very superficial and braggadocios contrary to the people I've known from PA.

Traffic can get nasty. There are areas east along the beach that are overcrowded to the point where it will take you 30 minutes to go a few miles. Especially during peak hours. I'm also afraid that there are no good driving roads. As such, most of the car events here revolve around parking outside a restaurant and having cocktails. Lots of great Cars and Coffees though. Just not many driver/track oriented events any more.

If you hate congestion and crowds I'd stay north of Boca. As mentioned above the PBI airport is infinitely easier to get in and out of. The train is an option but having done that for years I can say it wasn't much faster than driving, rarely was on schedule and could be a bit shady.

Forgot to mention... as you go north it's more thoughtfully developed and regulated. Less stripmalls and more green. When I first moved here I was amazed at the multi million dollar homes proximity to the hood. I never understood how you could spend top dollar and then have to see homeless people urinating on the nearby street corner.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The Las Olas area of Ft. Lauderdale is close to Ft. Lauderdale airport and basically every house in that area has a dock. Lauderdale Harbours has a couple homes with 3 car garages and a dock for $3mm. Las Olas Isles is above that level.

It's not between the two airports you list, but it is very close to FLL so that commute basically doesn't exit. So rather than always being guaranteed a decent commute if you live between the two airports, this one would give half your flights (or whatever) close to your door.

bball16 and BoulderFCar like this.
  16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Wellington is a great community I have been there for 15 years much more house for your money as compared to Boca. I would call Pompeo at Prestige performance. Great guy and a very reputable indy shop (for all cars german and italian).561 832-7800

17. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If an airport is a big factor I would be near fll and you can still be 45 min to mia. You can go almost anywhere. PBI is very limited. I don’t agree with putting a wife on Tri-rail. Sketch and not very convenient.

Water and a dock costs a lot more anywhere but you get it back on the other side. Be prepared for the property taxes. Much higher maintenance if you’re on the water. I think the whole car thing here is awful. Hot, crowded and lousy roads.

I moved here from Boulder Co. was going to be here a year. That was 3 houses, 4 boats and 11 years ago.

18. PGI

PGI Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Have you considered SW Florida?

tonyswfla likes this.
  19. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    SoFla is the most difficult place I've been to pick the "right" place to be. There are just a ton of variables. I would ditch the boat and dock idea and either rack a boat or do one of the club rental programs. Find a place inland a bit. Typically less traffic and life is easier. As stated above, there tends to be a little more separation from the good and bad elements. The stuff close to the water (generally East of US1) can be very tough to insure or very expensive to insure. The point being, the nuances matter a lot.

Even though you're not worried about schools I would think the homes with access to good public schools like Wellington are probably better investments as demand will continue to grow in those areas.

Good luck and if you loose your mind and want to look in the Ft Lauderdale area shoot me a note. Happy to show you around but FTL is a high voltage environment.

HotShoe likes this.
  20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Look at Plantation with waterway ocean access..

21. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    If you come to the West Palm area, I can recommend a good independent Ferrari mechanic.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'd suggest also considering the area west of Boynton Beach. Lots of newer communities, not as expensive as Boca and closer to PBI, which is my favorite south Florida airport.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Just did the same: NO good roads in Florida and lots of bad drivers that’s all BUt life style is the best;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Most of our “bad drivers “ are snowbirds and worldwide tourists..

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Maybe but I would beg to differ- most are latins that had their driving licenses in different part of the worlds and flat out cant drive and love to honk. Also a lot of ppl don’t have insurance. As I moved my insurance went up 20% from California & I have 0 tickets or accidents ever.
    I love Florida the most but the roads to thoroughly enjoy a Ferrari with twisties and everything they are not there to be found. That being said it works; the scenery, the water views...I still enjoy driving the super cars there;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotShoe likes this.