Mick Schumacher | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think it is really premature that people are discussing on giving him a Ferrari seat, replacing Vettel, etc. Just let him enjoy the experience first. Granted, Kimi came into F1 with just 23 single seater races, but he never had to bear the expectations of having a famous name.

Jakuzzi and daytona355 like this.
  2. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    so? Sato, Eddie Irvine, Ralf Schumacher all won multiple stuffs in lower formula, and how all that turned out to be?

daytona355 likes this.
  3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    keke was a far better driver than Watson, in fact he was very, very good, in 1982, anyone could have won it, but no one besides Gilles, and after him Pironi would have deserved it

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Irvine came 2nd in the WDC and Ralf won many races in F1. Both accomplishments which differentiate them from about 2/3 of any F1 field of all times.

Bas likes this.
  5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ATBNM3 likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    True, but it stays within the family. We, here on FChat, know what those 7 star's mean.

The prancing horse was'nt Enzo's idea but he got permission to use it from the family to pay homage to Baracca, WWI pilot.

Jakuzzi, TifosiUSA and daytona355 like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [F1-Fansite] Mick lets the "cat out of the bag" during Bahrain testing:

"The car accelerates out of the corners so well. But you still need to have respect. If you don't, with over 1000hp it would be dangerous."

TifosiUSA, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I somewhat disagree. Up to now he is as talented as was Stroll before F1.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  9. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Actually, that's an honest comparison as Stroll was part of the Ferrari Academy as well.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  10. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Of course. That is my point. But the original quote was as if Mick would be deemed a failure if he doesnt win a WDC. And he is being judge just ba first few seasons in lower formula? I don't think it is fair .

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    When? He won F3 and now he is in F2. He just drove 2 different F1 cars having never driven one before and did 120+ laps without incident and ran competitive lap times. A blind man could see Mick has talent. Does his name help? Yes but that's the way of the world.

You've been negative in this thread since day 1. Sorry bud, another Schumacher will be in F1 soon so get used to it.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Clever post Joe..... like it..... it’s so difficult not to get excited at the prospect, I really hope he doesn’t reach a plateau and stop developing, he’s doing so well and keeping his head in the game so far

stavura, Nortonious and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Mick finished the first race in 8th, giving him the pole for the sprint race (reverse grid). Even starting in 1st with the best team (Prema), he was only 6th in the end of the race. Let's not judge him just now and give him time to develop, but up to now he has proven to be as talented as Stroll.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes and no.

He has impressed in the previous formula by taking the title convincingly. Well done.

Then again he is off to a bit of a slow start, that's true. So he won't be a Vettel or Verstappen setting the charts on fire being a teenager.

But none of that really matters. All that matters is how he is progressing forward. If he stagnates like Latifi then the F1 test will be all there ever is. His dad was nothing Earth shattering until he sat in a F1 for the first time. So we have to be patient and see what the future holds.

My personal take is that he will make it to F1 and do ok. I don't think it will be MS - The sequel. Then again I'll be just happy to see the Schumacher name back in the grid.

Bas likes this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's very strange to assess these things right now.

Lets look at a few examples:

Hamilton v Piquet Jr: In GP2 these 2 fought tooth and nail for the title, both having had impressive drives. Hamilton has of course done very well. Piquet never really on the pace of any teammates and was last seen driving hairdryers in city centers.

Vandoorne: After a good first GP2 season and a fantastic 2nd one, he never looked special in F1. Not the right kind of special, anyhow.

Norris: great F3 season, in my opinion a poor F2 season with only 1 win under his belt...finished a distant 2nd and only consistency kept him from falling further. I found him overhyped at this point. But now he's in F1 and he's been very impressive. In a tight middle field he's on the pace and shows great and motivated overtakes.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #317 william, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019

Williams still had a Cosworth atmo V8, whilst the others (Ferrari, Renault, Alfa Romeo) went for turbo.
    So their tactic was to play reliability, against their faster but more prone to failure rivals.
    Yes, Keke collected points and only won one GP that year, and he also benefited from Pironi's accident.
    But the Williams was the fastest non-turbo car.
    Keke Rosberg had amazing car control; I remember him piroueting his car through a 360° spin once Under braking in a pack of cars, and not losing one place in the process.
    Team mate Jacques Lafitte who was following was most impressed and couldn't stop talking about it after the race!

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Getting a drive at McLaren didn't do him any favour.
    How can you shine in a car that doesn't work?

ATBNM3 likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They shared the same team mate in F1.

Alonso couldn't destroy Hamilton in 2007, but he did it with Piquet Jr in 2009.

Here is the difference.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  19. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Watching that video it was evident (to me) that Mick did not have the raw speed. That is the car, not the driver.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    welll yes that is my point. in junior formula PJR and Elton where neck and neck in spec cars. Yet massive difference in a class higher. But we've also seen the reverse happen of guys not so spectacular in junior formula (Michael Schumacher for example) yet being fantastic in f1.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Strange you say that, because it was one virtuoso performance in F3 during a wet race that got Michael Schumacher noticed by a Mercedes talent spotter.
    The guy apparently approached Willy Weber about his protegé and tried to sign him here and then.
    That's how Schumacher got into the Mercedes Junior team with Wendlinger and Frentzen.
    They raced in endurance, but Mercedes bankrolled their single seater programme also.
    I think Eddie Jordan said once that Mercedes paid for Schumacher's seat at Spa, his first F1 race.
    Tifosi may not like to hear this, but Michael Schumacher owes his career to Mercedes.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Again, you're not hearing me.

Schumacher's pre-F1 career wasn't really spectacular. It was in F1 where he was much better than anyone.

I'm not sure how I can make it clearer, but there are people that have done really well pre-F1 but when they got there they where ****, there are people that didn't do so well pre-f1 and turned out amazing....that's my whole point with so many focusing on Mick's career, as if that's a pre-cursor to what will be in F1.

Mercedes bank rolling schumacher has been common knowledge since well, 1991.

Flavio_C and william like this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Niki Lauda comes to mind.
    He was very average before getting to F1, and never won any championship I read.

Now drivers get promoted to F1 only if they win or finish high up in feeder categories; it's in fact a requirement to obtain a Super License.

ATBNM3 and Bas like this.
  24. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    and to Gachot as well.

william likes this.