Good Companion Cars for the Dino | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Good Companion Cars for the Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful! I have always fancied one of those. :):):)

2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Congratulations on a beautiful 911s.

I always wanted one and I am a massive Porsche fan, however after buying my 246 I drove a 911s Targa 1973 2.4l and it just wasn't tight as I would have liked.... so either my Dino was really tight or the 911s example I drove was a real clunker...

Many more mountains to climb for me.

PS - Great work finding the owner and not buying in BAT... hopefully you didn't have to pay the buyer fee...?

PPS - I live just off Sunset so I will keep an eye out for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

Thanks Condor - and you are correct in that I did not have to pay the 5% buyer fee. My 911 is at my paint shop right now as I am having some paint repair done and I am next gonna have my interior guy restore the interior - I can't help myself. The only other things I'm going to do are have the wheels polished and replace the tires - there's a bit too much rubber on there for my liking - I like a cleaner look - wheel-wise.

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Neelfryer and 375+ like this.
  5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes.

I do.

Unfortunately the extremely generous, and kind owner of the P-51 is no longer with us.

Regards, Alberto

7. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My recent purchase (albeit from UK bloodlines) is a great modern "dino" companion. The Mclaren 650s is smaller than the comparable 488 Ferrari in all aspects, it has a smaller displacement engine and a smaller footprint in the driveway, but manages quicker times in all tests. Inside it feels tiny compared to a modern car - the driver and passenger are almost touching shoulders as the middle console is tiny and the tub sills are wide, the view out the front is like an Imax movie and the fender wings are there just enough to remind you of the front edges of the car. Lastly it is a modern off label car like the Dino was in period, it has to be explained to everyone but the informed car person. Perfect...!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

synchro likes this.
  8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #260 synchro, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018

Upupa Pops, wow!

On Sept 15, 2006 I hosted a photo event at Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection. I traversed three lawyers of Lawyers (Flying Heritage Collection, Vulcan, and Navigea LTD) to request then obtain authorization for a Ferrari Club Of America, FCA, event to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection.

My goal was to tour the original collection and then get a photo op with his P-51, Upupa Pops, for each Ferrari Club member. Nobody had ever asked to do that before and they were a little freaked out about a possibility of any problem to the plane by accidental Ferrari contact. We negotiated a very controlled situation, I gathered everyone's personal insurance to submit weeks ahead of time along with full event insurance and then crafted a situation where the FHC staff could feel comfortable with car placement.

You may notice that nobody's car got even close to the plane as your car is - they were very nervous about us doing this back in the day.

Everyone got a great shot from our Professional photographer and I used mine for Christmas Cards.
    A bit of a bunch of effort, but we had such a good time!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Insurance, who needs "Stinkin' Insurance" ?
    Of course, the proprietor must be respected, yet...

Well, when the 911 and Dino were parked, it was done by two very normal drivers,
    we were just told to 'park the cars' in a good position, that we thought was appropriate for a few photos,
    and in all truth, we were very, extremely close and no one was loosing sleep.
    No need to bring the valet from the 1/2 Moon Bay abode.

The owner of the '51 was one of the coolest, and generous guy, he shall be missed :)

Regards, Alberto

synchro likes this.
  11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #262 synchro, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    375+, Neelfryer and Bluebottle like this.
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Spectacular car. The Touring is almost the perfect Porsche.

synchro likes this.
  13. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    I know - I sourced the the BLUE license plate on e-bay

and the metal license plate frame

it is a bit over the top - but I live in crazy town so when in Rome ...

readplays and synchro like this.
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  15. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY