Throttle response | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Throttle response

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sigmacars, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Peter,
    I agree, if that is what you want, go for it. At the end of the day it's your money, your car and in my opinion you should consider advise and ignore what other people may or may not prefer.
    You should get whatever makes you happy.

John.

2. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Martin,
    Spain was under the dictatorship of Franco for 40 years. Got into democracy in 1975, when he died. Back then industry was way behind the rest of Europe. Struggled to speed up, but due to poor politics and weak economy a crisis started in 1993. Still trying to recover.

Shouldn't say this, but most countries in Europe are just about in the same situation if not worse.

Go with the flow,

John.

3. CL308GTB

CL308GTB Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    C L
    To get back to the original subject, I recently swapped all my 35 years old injectors and bushings for new ones and can guarantee that it improved drastically (or at least restored to factory standard) the throttle response. I am also under the impression that my car has much more torque between 1,000 and 3,000 rpm than what it used to be.

The best EUR 370 that I'v spent on this car so far...

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I thought we are discussing 'classic cars' here.
    Speaking of 'classic cars'. How many here consider their 3x8 cars as a 'classic car', as opposed to just an old sportscar for messing around with.

Best from Germany
    Martin

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why can't they be both?

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Peter,

since most Europeans are very anal, when it comes to the discussion about originality on a classic car.
    And you can only get a 'classic car registration' (Historic plates) here, if the car is either original or modifications are period correct.

Example. On my Alfa the carburettor swap from original Solexes -with zero parts availability today, and WTF knows, why they used these only on the 2ltr.engine- to period correct Webers was o.k. for the H-registration. Putting on a modern FI-system would lead to rejection.
    There are a few exemptions if modifications are adding safety. Therefore, for example, correct seatbelts in a 50s-car with the necessary body or frame reinforcements are o.k.

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not surprised at all and is exactly why I advise being sure a car is running correctly before pursuing well intentioned and ill advised modifications.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    wowie! I'm glad we don't have those restrictions here! (YET)

Obviously there are limits to what modifications we can make to ANY car, new or old, but something like fuel injection on a carby car, or changing springs/shocks, which I've also done, is fine.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well,

Interesting matter indeed. You would have to ask the question to the younger generation, I guess. It depends on the perspective, your age, etc...it's also a question of semantics and vocabulary: the word "classique" exists in french of course, but is not used much for cars; "voiture de collection" (collector's car) would probably be more used. A Jaguar "E-Type" would be a "collector's car"; I'm not sure any 1970's car would qualify; but to me, the BB and Countach are even more than "classics", they are "out of time", kinds of icons of automobile design; they don't age. I never gave much thought about it, I think 3x8 are just, well: 3x8s! On the other hand, the 360is now really in the doldrums to me: not a classic, and I don't know if it will ever be, but rather out-of-fashion nowadays. In "the dark", as we used to sayin the old days for fine wines, which were supposed not to be opened before being "about 10 years old". But some people, younger than me, are really convinced the 360 will become a classic one day. I don't think so, but go figure.
    I'm a bit like our friend Peter "from down under" on that matter: 3x8s are a something of a cross between classics and old sports car (probably because they look fast when you look at them, but they are not that fast by today's standard...the shape is certainly classic, and hard to beat)

Rgds

10. CL308GTB

CL308GTB Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    C L
    Agreed, I'm only 30 and bought a 308 that is older than me. I was highly hesitating between the 328, 308 and some older cars (e-type or Austin Healey 100/4 BN2 in particular) but I finally chose the 308 because I think it is the best compromise between a classic car (or collectible car if you prefer) and a sport car (which by modern standards, is very relative, but it's definitely better than most of the other car from this period). The 328 finally ended being too modern for me, this will probably change in the next decade or so. The 308 was the perfect catch for me, and seing how many people turn their heads on the street (even though mine is not red), i definitely consider that it is in the "classic car" category.