F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!) | Page 7 | FerrariChat

F430 Header Failure (it CAN happen to you!)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Aug 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

Sounds like the makings of a class action lawsuit, assuming there's a law firm looking for business. Ferrari should do better, starting with all those sticky plastic interiors.
    😜🔫

Sent via itty bitty electrons

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the modern perspective is consider your headers a "wear item", like brake pads, and tires.....

3. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1

Ferrari considers the exhaust manifolds a 'wear and tear' item.....thats what the f dealer told me when my manifolds failed.
    Theres lots of choices.....go aftermarket.

Tubi Sales likes this.
  4. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My 2005 F430 had the MKII headers when I purchased it from the second owner. My indie noticed that they were starting to blow packing all over the floor pans. I immediately bought the AP headers and had them installed. Cheap insurance.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Bring this thread back to life, so bottom line, to avoid any header issues replace the stock Ferrari headers with aftermarket ones and you'll not experience this again?

Tubi Sales likes this.
  6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Correct very cheap insurance especially for mental clarity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  7. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    After two sets of crappy Ferrari headers and a dealer saying I needed another set, I questioned the sanity in such a proposal and despite being warned
    that the car would be less attractive without Ferrari parts I went with Fabspeed headers and blankets. The thought of bad headers is no longer a
    constant theme and I guess my car is less attractive. I also went off the reservation with Hill Engineering ball joints. I just made my car even less attractive.
    You would think I would learn!

Zed82, LARRYH and whatheheck like this.
  8. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Stronger aftermarket headers work but don't actually address the real problem which is the rigid lower exhaust brackets. Which can simply be removed.

LorenzoR and whatheheck like this.
  9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My local dealer told me the same when I was on the hunt for an F430 back in 2015. When I inquired about exhaust manifold failures, their recommendation was ensure you have MKII exhaust manifolds, and install the Capristo brackets. At that time, they had no failures with that combination. They did recommend to still monitor the situation by smoke inspection every year or two during normal maintenance visits.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my brain hurts every time i come back to think about this issue.

i thought the capristo brackets actually accentuate the problem and the best thing to do was take the brackets off?

crinoid likes this.
  11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That's why I bought a 430 Scuderia, the only issues they have with exhaust manifolds is the mounting flanges to the heads can warp, causing leaks and a ticking noise at start up. But if you remove them, get them flat ground, and reinstall, they seem to stay trouble free from then on.

LARRYH likes this.
  12. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Phil from Fabspeed here.
    360 and 430 headers are can be a serious headache. These are some of our highest selling products as well which is why we always have them in stock. But most of the time we try to have guys line up doing the headers as preventative maintenance and you can keep the stock headers to sell with the car as original equipment.

It is not fun to change the headers by themselves especially when there are so many cases of header failure. Knowing that there is an issue and not doing anything to prevent the issue. Boom they fail.

psych0hans likes this.
  13. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    ^ Just ordered a set of fabspeed headers for my 360CS last week, they should be installed by next weekend. Will be glad to have that peace of mind (and noise!)

LARRYH likes this.
  14. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    The OEM Sport Exhaust addresses the bracket issue. Lots of rubber mounts to allow play in the connections.

15. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey

+1

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes they got it right with that exhaust. It would be interesting to know if any of the cars that came optioned with that exhaust ever suffered header failure.

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what if you already have capristo headers with capristo high flow cars and want to keep the stock mufflers?

18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    ^^ No problem just bin the lower brackets.

19. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Didn't see anywhere in this thread the impact on emissions of replacing the stock units with headers. Has anyone had their 430's tested after the header installation and passed?

20. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Pre cats are for cold start emissions. Without them when up to temp, you should be fine. Mine did throw a CEL which I cured with O2 extenders.

21. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Hey Guys,
    THe headers will not effect your emissions testing. You with still pass the sniffer testing and obdii port as well.

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have Agency Power Headers on mine and Kline Innovation exhaust with stock cats and no precats.
    Always passed annual emission test with zero problems and no check engine light.

We are lucky here in Washington State. No more emission / smog test effective year 2020! Yay!

Dan

23. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have Tubi manifolds on my 2006, no lights, no O2 extenders, passed Ca smog requirements. Stock OEM cats, Ferrari Sport exhaust.

Year matters, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Tubi Sales likes this.
  24. msper

msper Karting

Oct 29, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FYI.....I have a pair of Tubi manifolds for sale in the classified section.....These are the BEST manifolds for a 430.....Take a look at my ad

Thanks!

25. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I haven’t heard of just removing the brackets outright? Do you mean simply taking them off as not replacing them with anything?