575M engine noise after service | FerrariChat

575M engine noise after service

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Drew Waters, Apr 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    I recently had the oil pump drive chain and associated bearings replaces to solve the noise it was making. Now the car has significant noise, which sounds like valve train, from the left bank. Performance seems to be down, the engine starts on not all of the cylinders, and the low end throttle response seems poor. Has the cam belt been located incorrectly? It’s the only thing I can think of which would have been touched at the time. I am loath to go back to the garage again, as they said all was fine and these engines are a bit “toppy” which I find unusual, and would like to know what I’m talking about when I go to another.
    Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

2. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Check valve timing! Most likely the left belt incorrectly set and from what you describe by more than one tooth! Prepare for some hard talking to the garage owner. Hopefully the valves haven't touched any of the pistons, or each other, or you are in for a major repair.

3. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    Thanks Franschman,
    Much what I thought unfortunately. Let’s hope

4. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Sounds like valve timing. Is the car back firing through the intake or exhaust? Exhaust manifold glowing on that side?

5. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    Thanks Bradan,
    It’s certainly looking like it. No backfiring that I’ve noticed and I haven’t looked at the manifold. I will check, though reticent to drive it like this.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I would not drive that way, nothing good comes of it. I would speak again to the shop that serviced it, via email if possible so you have a record. Tell them it does not sound right or run right and needs to be fixed. If they are unable or unwilling you'll need to take it to the local dealer and expect them to cover the bill.

What state are you in?

7. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    I’m in NSW in Australia

8. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If you don’t mind me asking, was it Ferrari Sydney or an independent? Hard to know who to get to look after these cars in Sydney

9. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Good evening. Sure sound like the timing is out. This could be from the lower pulleys when they did the bearings.

I had a confusion when I was in timing belt system and didn’t go any further until I got the best advice from the Pros and people on this forum. I thank them.

Please don’t start the car and have it sent to a professional who know these cars.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What period of time transpired between "recently" and "now"?

Did the car run OK when you picked it up from dealer after the "recently" stuff was done?

What is the "significant noise"? The noise of engine is significantly different when running on 1 bank and even more weird with enough random misfires over the 12 cylinders. We talking rattling metal? Squealing bearings? What?

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He has no need to diagnose the issue. He has a need to get the shop to take his complaint seriously.

Prit Singh and greg246 like this.
  12. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    The noise is rattling. Sounds very tappetty. The car did not run well after the work and I’ve barely run it since

13. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    It was an indipendant, whom I am in contact with. They will be given the chance to rectify, working with the main dealer

575 and greg246 like this.
  14. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    Thanks Prit.

15. Drew Waters

Drew Waters Rookie

Nov 22, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Drew Waters
    Thanks for your help everyone. The shop will have the car tomorrow as they are very keen to maintain their reputation and are willing to work with the main dealer to rectify this.
    I’ll let everyone know how this goes.