???POLL??? - Are you confident F1 will become more entertaining in the next following years? | FerrariChat

???POLL??? - Are you confident F1 will become more entertaining in the next following years?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Yes or not?

1. Yes

13.2%
  2. No

86.8%
  1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    There has been a change of the guard in ownership, rule making and scrutineering in F1, and more of the same coming. Are you positive the show will improve? And why? Thanks for your input

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They have some daft ideas that's for sure. I read the other day they've signed Will Smith and his company to do more post or after show stuff, with stunts and whatnot. I stopped reading at that point as I started to become quite sick.

On the plus side, the racing so far in the midfield is best I've seen in a long time. Turns out taking part of the front wing scaffolding did actually do some good, who could've thunk it? Amateur pretend aerodynamic experts like myself have been saying to do that for years as for sure it'll help cars follow closer...but we where always told no! Bahrain opening lap was among the best I've seen in ~10 years or so.

So the racing I think they're going to go in the right direction. The circus around it? No I think they're turning it into ****ing disneyland.

Nortonious, Makuono, stavura and 4 others like this.
  3. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    As I've followed F1 over the decades, one team usually dominates. And I doubt that will change.

william likes this.
  4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Looks like Brawn knows what he’s doing once again but he’s the only one inside Liberty. Wonder if he’ll pull one of his moves again and buy F1 outright at half the price. Kinda hope so frankly

5. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    A good question, but it is one that can only be answered in retrospect. The 2021 rules will have to be carefully planned

My radical opinion is that teams shouldn't have to be "constructors". They should be allowed to buy chassis and campaign them. They should be entrants. Less complication equals less expense. Also, teams should be allowed to enter up to three cars per event.

william likes this.
  6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm pretty sure the new engine formula in 2021 will shake things up. And at some point Lewis will have enough and retire. Not his fault he makes the championship so boring but it is. Just as boring as when MS won the title year after year. Also I'm hoping once Liberty is out of the picture the grid girls will return (and please get rid of the grid kids).

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It's not Elton that is making it boring..it's Mercedes....

TurboFreak650, E60 M5, kylec and 6 others like this.
  8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The main reason that it won't become more entertaining is the teams' and F1's love affair with aerodynamic downforce. Put the emphasis more toward mechanical grip by severely limiting wing size, and eliminating all the little winglets, tabs, flip-ups, slots, etc., lengthen the braking area by going back to steel discs or reducing the size of the carbon discs, reduce the weight, and let cars carry more fuel. I really don't give a flip about "cutting edge technology", I want to see good racing that has more to do with the driver's ability.

Finlander, Isobel, 375+ and 5 others like this.
  9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I fear I'm in the minority here but I was never really against refueling. The strategies made boring races interesting (similarly it also made potential interesting races boring, one could argue, by a driver not risking an overtake because a stop would be coming up shortly). Whilst following was a bit easier back in the day, it was still quite hard...a right aerodynamic formula would make the racing quite interesting even with different strategies I'd think, close following and overtaking being very possible would allow for proper, organic racing.

What I hate about non-refueling is 2 things: When stuff goes wrong a driver can't wack the fuel flow up and go ballistic for 60 laps on a very aggressive strategy. A driver is always managing his limited fuel (and after that it's Le Mans type engine which has to last an enormous amount of time). Even strategies can be winning that way, look at Schumacher at Magny course in 2004 I think, the Renault was to be faster so Ferrari went on an extremely risky 4 stopper and won that way....It was basically qualifying laps the entire race. Majestic. Now it's all about managing fuel, managing engine components...Isn't that what Le Mans is for?

Finlander, Nortonious, kylec and 7 others like this.
  10. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    If the big manufacturers are allowed to rule the roost, and yes, that includes FIAT-Ferrari, then it will never be like you suggest.

375+ and william like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The future of F1 dépends on the technical rules that will be decided for 2021 and after, but I am optimistic by nature.

As it seems that Liberty wants to keep the same hybrid formula with some alterations, the major changes will have to come from a limitation on the aero.
    I am in agreement with those who want a reduction in downforce, less wings, and simpler bodywork.
    Racing needs to be closer to be entertaining, and at the moment it isn't.
    I don't know if refuelling is a good idea, but, in any case, the fuel tanks should be larger than they are now, to allow drivers to push all the time instead of lifting and coasting as now.
    Also, as mentioned above, customers cars should be allowed for small or B teams.
    I simply don't believe there are 10 design offices capable to build a car with a chance to win GPs.
    Maybe 4 or 5 of them can, but the others should be allowed to buy a Dallara chassis off the shelves, instead of struggling to create their own.
    That would also solve the financial discrepancy between the manufacturers and the less well funded teams.

The racing has to be made more interesting to Watch for F1 to keep its audience.
    There should be more than 2 or 3 teams fighting for the championship, but this is what we had for more than a decade now, and that's not good..
    As Bernie Ecclestone said in a recent interview, he cannot understand why some team owners keep coming back year after year knowing they have no chance of winning anything in F1, and leave only when they go bankrupt.

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    While we are on the subject of limiting aero, why do open-wheel racecars need floors? Eliminate them as well.

Nortonious and william like this.
  13. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Bring back refueling.

You can't play your hand on a pit stop when a tire change takes 2.3 seconds.

I long for the days when Schumacher would peel off a couple blistering laps before coming in for his pit stop.

Races back then were won and lost on the teams fuel and tyre strategies.

Today, what are you going to make up in 2.3 seconds.

IMHO

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO Ferrari should leave and set up a new formula.

This "hyrbid- aero" era sucks.

Remy Zero, Finlander, fil and 3 others like this.
  15. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    But the domination wasn't for long periods of time and major rule changes usually changed things up.

Schumie years and even 1988 wasn't as dominate as Merc is now.

PPR = points per race.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sig. Roma, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, but who would administer it, and which team do you think will follow?

The FIA would try to put a block on it, IMO, and it would never be allowed to be a "world championship".

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull is all they need and the rest will follow. Red Bull knows a thing or two about marketing and making money on that. Establish same sort of ownership rules as NFL where the end goal is entertainment and making money, and the little teams will all follow. Mclaren really wants to compete against Ferrari more than anything (historic rivalry etc) so very likely would. Williams nor anyone else has the money to compete against Mercedes.

A coup could very easily be organized IMO. FIA can huff and puff all they want, but what can they do to stop it?

The concorde agreement that Bernie cleverly had in place to precisely stop this (such as disallowing races of similar nature unless permitted by F1 at F1's host tracks), is ripped up by Liberty.

World championship is not needed....simply call it the championship of Europe, Americas and Australasia.

Money talks in the end. A franchised ''GP1'' (guess who own that? Uncle Bernie and Uncle Flav) system where teams a) spend less money and b) make more money will be a pretty easy move for the teams.

Easy setup:

Here's your front wing it can be no wider than X and contain no more than X elements, go nuts.

Ditto rear wing

Here's your floor it's nice and flat and it'll stay that way. Whether your wheelbase is 2500mm or 3000mm or anything in between. It's this wide and that long with no frills

These are your brake ducts.

Here's your gear cogs.

Steel brakes

This is your diffuser box it shall contain no holes or funny bits, but go nuts otherwise.

These are the engines: V12 3.5 Direct Injected limited to 15 thousand RPM, a unit cost is 150K you have a choice of Ferrari, Red Bull TAG, Cosworth or employ your own. These materials and dimensions + weight are used and price will not exceed X. 1 engine per 3 weekends easy, it'll easy so there's no constant managing of everything and saving the engine.

Design your own chassis, suspension, gearbox

Limited to X amount of trucks and don't be ****** employing 500 nerds in your home base who do all your clever maths.

License the whole thing to youtube/netflix/amazon whomever bids the highest for a proper live streaming and lets go racing.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Who cares?

I seriously can see Ferrari wining the F1 world championship and then walking away to set up another formula. If they go out on top it doesn't look like sour grapes.

daytona355 likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I like this idea.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    F1 Auto racing needs to remember it's not there to solve world problems. It's entertainment like every sport is.

I'm not saying people should kill each other or put drivers at more risk. In fact it should be the opposite. We want our heroes to survive and prosper.

But the spectacle needs to be improved, and that's the cars, the race events, the teams,The Stupid Rules, and to some degree the drivers themselves. Certainly The broadcasting and streaming needs to be improved as well as access.

Auto racing is the most un-pc kind of sport possible. Trying to make it pc only makes it less interesting while solving nothing.

Challenge and daytona355 like this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That is like blaming the pot for being black.

It is not Mercedes that is making the show boring, it is the rest of the field not picking up their pace to match.

william likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am not saying it couldn't happen (although I have doubts), but the idea of a rival series to F1 has already been mooted by no less than Bernie Eclestone years ago, and it never happened
    Finally Bernie made his homework and prefered a palace revolution to going into the abyss.

Do not understimate the power of the FIA !! They have their claws everywhere all around the world, and are supported by most governments too.
    Bernie found at the time (when he was toying with the idea of a rival series), that most track owners, and most national motor racing authorities would no contemplate holding one of his "pirate" race, for fear to lose their accreditation, and be banned from holding any FIA controled championship or race.

For example, if Jerez in Spain had accepted to hold an "Ecclestone race", the track would have lost its international license, and if the Spanish National Club had endorsed it, it would also have been banned to hold any FIA-sanctioned race, or rally on its territory. Probably the drivers racing outside of FIA régulations could also put their license, and their career, in jeopardy.

For most track owners and national authorities, falling out with the FIA would be suicidal. So the threat was real.
    So, a regional or national series Under new tules may be tolerated, but anything like aworldwide championship would be strongly resisted, IMO.

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It’s the ****ed up rules that prevent teams catching up, and of course, the political influence of Mercedes with the FIA. Money talks, ******** walks, as they say

stavura and Bas like this.
  24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is basically a lack of testing.
    And the teams, themselves, voted FOR lack of testing.
    So, I don't see how one blames FIA.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There is some truth there.

The teams accepted to have more races during a season, rather than free testing.

Ecclestone could sell TV rights for more races, but not for testing, hence more money for the teams.

daytona355 likes this.