Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 69 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    thats always the difference with the special series cars. It happens literally every single time

REALZEUS likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's a pity that Ferrari apparently began a few years ago to disclose Fiorano times computed for marketing reasons rather than for real information.
    Although given the tyres difference they may have the benefit of the doubt here; 488 1'23",F8 1'22.5", Pista 1'21.5". With similar tyres on the 3 cars I guess the F8 would be closer to the Pista than to the 488.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just to make the Ferrari times obviously questionable - who could believe a 812 would be as fast as a Pista around Fiorano? The 812 has certainly a mighty engine (although it does not match the torque of the Pista, which means at lower rev it has actually less power) , but on track the massive weight difference should be a real advantage for the Pista - which also has better tyres.

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    of2worlds likes this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Impressive indeed :)
    The lap time independently measured (Anglesey) is telling about the Pista's advantage on track though.
    I guess what I would love if I could afford it would be a 812 TdF (or whatever it will be called)...

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Pista is much more track focused (duh... it's called "Track" after all) and those Cup 2 tyres make a difference. No wonder that it is quicker round a circuit.
    I too would prefer an 812 "tdf", for the V12 alone.

lamborarri likes this.
  7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    With the Pista, another advantage is the Carbon rims and light weight lithium battery.
    The Pista is the first of the special series models to have this unique equipment.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    For the F8 Tributo you could also buy Carbon rims, a lighter 70AH battery and High Performance tyres. And a light weight lithium battery with 15 Kilo less you could also buy for 500 Euro at Amazon.

The difference between both cars is 20 Kilo with light weight battery. The Pista is not faster. In this case decide the driver the difference in my opion.

Motorwerks and MalibuGuy like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Every single modern high-performance sports car is “too fast” for >95% of road driving, if not 100%.
    I wish people would just grow up and accept this.
    I have driven on Daytona with a random selection of Ferrari owners at Finali Mondali—and I can tell you from first-hand observation most of those drivers were so bad I wouldn’t trust them to drive their cars at 50% capability, even on a closed track.

My advice is for people to buy a car they like, put on as many miles/journeys with friends/family building fond memories and leave investing to stocks/bonds/private equities/assets etc.

MikeR397, jm2, Motorwerks and 11 others like this.
  10. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    So true!

Lazi-D likes this.
  11. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    Both option available for the F8. Even the carbon engine intake plenum and the carbo cockpit cluster of the Pista are on the F8 options list. You can even order a full carbon underbody.

of2worlds and MalibuGuy like this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Why grow up?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I wonder what the F8 lap time would be with the carbon revolution rims and cup tires.

14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agreed, can’t get that image out of my head... and I love Lotus!

Sent from my 16M

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My guess is that with all carbon options and Pista carbon wheels and tyres, the F8 would be as fast as the Pista - it would probably be as expensive though, given the price of carbon options.
    What I don't understand is that Ferrari put the lexan rear window on the F8 rather than on the Pista, the other way round would seem more logical to me.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think it has to do with weight. Pista has no carpets, etc. for weight savings and the F8 needed other weight savings like the plastic engine cover, etc. so it can get a better comparison against the older 488. I'm not really buying the marketing story its a tribute to anything instead of being the interim car waiting on the V6 hybrid to mature for production.

17. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    So needless to say, tires and options corrected, all 3 cars are nearly the same.

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Think of it the other way around, The F8 has this cool F40 rear window. That makes people want the F8 more. And this is what Ferrari is wanting to sell for the next 3 years

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    They have a point, I may go for an F8 ;)

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I see long term problems with the Lexan window. Scratching and yellowing. The F8 is supposed to be an everyday car. I don't see why it has it other than they were having a problem with their weight goals.

The Alfa 4c has 30% thinner glass to save weight. This seems like a more reasonable option.

MANDALAY likes this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I also believe the same. Wonder with the options if you could have it in glass. Or even if its the same size as the PIST change it with someone wanting to do the trade ?

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It might be a greater challenge to do slatted vents in glass thank Lexan?

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely unnecessary. It’s a tribute to the F40 but isn’t really needed

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Whether or not the design decision was necessary is not my question.

My question is, If they made the design decision, did that drive the material decision rather than weight as some have assumed?

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The Lexan makes the car , i nearly wet myself when i saw it! Talk about cool.