Why no love for the 612? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why no love for the 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by OmbryAmbry, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Please explain the "colored lamps" you are talking about.

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    A Mustang they both have a horse as a emblem. :D

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The head lamps are colored. Look at post #24.

4. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    They just ask what it is. Until they see the prancing horse. We know that it looks like a Ferrari but it's not universally recognizable in its design like its counterparts. It doesn't concern me, though. I think it's an elegant car that's also sexy as hell.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The 612 has the Ferrari 4 seater stigma, that's all. It's a beautiful machine.

6. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
  7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The FF is the 2+2 getting no love right now. Currently, low miles OTO 612's are higher than similar early FF's. Been watching 2+2's since the GTC/4 and never seen anything like it.

paulchua and Makuono like this.
  8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's possible to convert them to manual. I know a place here in town that converted a 430 Scuderia with fantastic results. They say the 612 would be a lot easier.

If I don't like the F1/a, that's my backup plan.

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    George, I think the lack of love of the FF is because of the shooting brake design. I have never liked the look since the MGB through the BMW Z3 and others probably feel the same way. The 612 has much more of a classic timeless look. I suspect long term the 612 will ultimately retain higher values than the FF.

Modena_2003, cgt000, randkin and 2 others like this.
  10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I debated (and drove different cars) for a year before I chose my 2008 just pre OTO versus a manual .

The HGTC package and Bose dual DIN were key: CCM brakes, Handling GT, and Challenge wheels makes for a much better car overall. I didn't like the two tone effect of the OTO and I didn't want a black car ( for example MRY's black OTO is magnificent)

A manual conversion is appealing but honestly my 2008 is a much better car than the early manuals.

MRY likes this.
  11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    As regards the FF, my wife isn't much into cars but she has a good eye for design. I casually pointed out an FF a few years back and she said "That's a Ferrari ? It looks like a bread van. No thanks."

Practical yes, AWD yes, fast yes, but fugly to me.

RonH and MRY like this.
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I imagine doing a manual conversion on a pre-OTO 612 wouldn't be too bad... in fact, I believe if you search there is a thread on here somewhere about somebody doing just that. I think it would be much, much harder on an OTO, since there was never a manual version of the OTO at all.

13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's a good point, I'll have to look into it. I actually like the earlier cars because I don't want CC brakes or a panoramic roof.

It's a touring car to me, so I don't even care if it has a handling package.

paulchua likes this.
  14. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    The panoramic roof is good or bad as a matter of taste. I like mine.

Unless you have experienced to transformation in "feeling and grip" when you switch the mannetino to "sport", you just don't understand. It becomes a true , hard core sports car. Turn it off and cruise to dinner.

The CC brakes will last longer than I will and leave no dust. You will not wear them out, just don't break them.

paulchua and MRY like this.
  15. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    #40 Continental AutoSports, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    I'm late to the party but if I may...

I cut my "parts" teeth on the 360, F430, and 612 respectively so I'm a bit biased, however the 612 is considerably underappreciated. I love their styling, albeit now it seems a bit dated, but the side profile is as solid as anything at the time. Regardless, the 612 is by far my favorite 2+2 and doesn't get nearly enough respect within the community as a solid work of art.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I like them quite a bit but my preference is FF (thought certainly out of warranty a 612 is a much more wiser choice). I can understand why people don't like them as they are a bit of an acquired taste. Not for me, I've been a fan since day 1

17. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Cannot get enough of mine. Owning a bunch of garage queens, I really appreciate the ride, power and handling of this car. Not to mention the exhaust that is soooo loud. Louder than my Barchetta with Tubi.

18. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    This perpetual myth about 4 seater Ferraris really irritates me. Its a self fulfilling prophecy!

Non-Ferrari people generally have no idea about this snobbery about 2 vs 4 seater Ferraris. Its only when you start reading the car press or forums that you find this opinion. Someone has to mention it every time and make sure it get perpetuated.

No one berates Aston Martins for having 4 seats or the venerable Porsche 911 for that matter. So why Ferrari?

Some people say they are not a proper Ferrari. What does that mean? Its not a full on sports car? No it isn’t, its a GT car. However its a GT car that will most other GTs cars for dead on a twisty road. Very much a Ferrari in that regard.

The 612 is a beautiful car that is aging well. Fast forward 30 years and I think it will be different story.

I wanted something different, something less obvious, something elegant and classy that bucked the trend of increasingly aggressive looking cars. I also wanted something dependable. Thats why I bought a 612.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

FFrancucci, jlaws02, lee-o and 10 others like this.
  19. MelbourneCarl

MelbourneCarl Rookie

Dec 23, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    The 612 is good looking in person but perhaps the awkward middle child: for a semi-classic I’d go back a gen for a manual 456 (which are even prettier and very cheap to buy, if a bit expensive to run) or as has been mentioned already, FFs have come way down in price for a vastly more contemporary car than a 612

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I love every aspect of the 612, except its rounded rear.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  22. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Like the quote attributed to Edgar Allan Poe goes, "there is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion."

G. Pepper and Wade like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ROFL,

Thought the same thing

His last thread was titled "Why is the (pre T) California considered bad?"

....his opening line? Some of the best passive-aggressive writing I've ever seen:

Let me guess, his next thread will be "Why is the FF considered bad?" to complete the trilogy.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said, I remember the first time I saw the 612. I thought it was a classic beauty - and very pleasing to the eye. I still like the design and think it will only continue to age well.

25. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Devil's advocate here but he's just asking about why these cars are sometimes looked down upon. He could ask the same question about the 348 and the Mondial too.

paulchua likes this.