Tachometers and Speedo's - Why don't they read ZERO? | FerrariChat

Tachometers and Speedo's - Why don't they read ZERO?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Capri335, Apr 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capri335

Capri335 Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Grindelwald, Tasmania. (Australia)
    Full Name:
    John
    As the title says, I have just looked at lots of photos of Instrument clusters on the web, and all of them (some of other Ferrari's) show the speedo at 10 mph and the Tacho at 500 rpm. Mine is the same. Does anyone know why they are like this, and is it all of them? Power to instruments or not doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Once the engine is running then the tacho changes. I can see that the speedometer is never going to read exactly zero as the trip meter rod is in the way. To me though it just seems weird.

paulchua likes this.
  2. Capri335

Capri335 Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Full Name:
    John
    I forgot to add that even a pic of a new gauge showed the same.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I remember noticing this on z-28’s back in the day and iirc I was told it had something to do with hydraulics.

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hahaha, yes I had this same exact thought too! This is a great thread to read about it.

Cheers

5. Capri335

Capri335 Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks guys, I just got into my Mitsubishi ute earlier to make a delivery and the other thread is right, the instruments aren't a linear scale. They are labled zero but really start at 10 kph and 500 rpm! Funny how you don't see something until you see it, then you can't ever "un-see" it!