mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 88 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The “8” is how many stitches you need when the knife on the door punctures you.

Jo Sta7 and TheMayor like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Hey it’s on the Vette forum! :)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    From the article ...

"Rear axle ratios of 3.62 and 3.80 are listed, which are very different than what the C7 currently employs. The current manual cars get a 3.42 ratio while the autos see a 2.41 ratio in the Z06 and ZR1 and a 2.73 for the rest. The taller gearing is likely associated with the ratios of the DCT and a rear end with shorter gears is currently not listed since a manual gearbox option is not on the sheet."

Someone needs to explain to jalopnik what "tall" gearing means, because they are confused ... again.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    So was a $169,900 starting price....:rolleyes:

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Touche'!

rdefabri likes this.
  6. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The thing about CorvetteForum is you can, with a little knowledge of Corvette and it's history, pretty much blow apart the really stupid stuff without much trouble.
    ANYONE with a brain just KNEW the $169,900 price was idiotic. GM had just gotten through with an $800 million dollar EXPANSION of Bowling Green. Last time I checked, one doesn't make an assembly plant BIGGER when you're going to TRIPLE the price of your product and drive production NEEDS to a trickle.
    An 8:19 ring time....Jan Mangusson did 7:43 in C6 Z06 in 2006 from a STANDING start, along with the fact that GM has NEVER published a Nürburgring time on ANYTHING other than a PRODUCTION car.

thecarreaper and of2worlds like this.
  7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Personally I am not a fan of the styling. Looks rehashed and not new. Honestly, all the lovers of the C8 have to admit that it falls very far short of breathtaking lines of the '63. It will never get close the the iconic status of the C3 much less the 1967. And if the first corvette ME cannot get in that realm off the bat then it will fail. Besides how many ME's does the world need? Plus at 500hp the Gallardo debuted with that back in 2004. Who are we kidding. FAIL! Except for the bubbas that want to buy one over a used exotic.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2183 TheMayor, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    LamboRari

Should have had more of this in it...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

randkin likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Can’t wait to see the Grandsport version.

Phil~ and VAF84 like this.
  10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    +1

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

We have "seen" this car for months -- maybe a year -- already. When Ferrari showed the F8 it was out of the blue. GM has been leaking stuff so long only the casual observers haven't seen it.

The only big mystery yet is the price and the performance specs.

12. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The C2 is the iconic Corvette (1963-1967). The C3 was the Corvette that took us through the early dark days of emission controls. By the mid 1970's, C3's were SO slow that one doesn't dare race a modern V6 Camry with a 1978 Corvette!!!
    With a few exceptions (early chrome bumper big blocks), C3's are not highly sought after or valuable.

jm2 likes this.
  13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I think the pedestrian impact safety standards have legislated the sharp wedge shapes to history. Many of the "pretty" 60's and 70's shapes exacerbated injuries to pedestrians and the engineering evolution and wind tunnel testing have presented the shapes we have now. the Human Factors stuff we do with our aircraft where I work is mind boggling.

rdefabri likes this.
  14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I meant to say C2. Never ever intended to say C3 hence the call out of the 1967 which is considered the best of the best. Hope all can see the intent.

thecarreaper likes this.
  15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You might be right to a point. I think all these ME cars are starting to look similar and the vette is coming in at the end. They don't have to worry about me ever buying a new vette again.

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I mean the wider body, ground effects, and wheels version. The C7 Z06 (and grandsport) are visually more exciting to me than the C7 Stingray.
    I found the Z06 to be too powerful for full enjoyment on the street...so interested in seeing what the C8 Grandsport will look like.
    That is all.

VAF84, sigar and of2worlds like this.
  17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed, let’s not forget the mission. It’s not to placate the Corvette faithful - just look at how that's effectively killed Harley-Davidson.

It’s not about future value. And it’s certainly not about breaking records, although performance helps.

It IS about making money, short and sweet. I have maintained this from the get go and so far it’s hashing out as I figured. No more FE, ME will be positioned to a broader clientele, most likely Europe. Plan is to sell 40,000 cars per year, roughly around $60k MSRP.

Looks are subjective, but I have to agree that for a car with this much weight on it, it should blow me away. It’s growing on me, but it’s not blowing me away. I think it looks cool but it’s too safe.

Would have been awesome if they brought Pininfarina to design it. Oh well, let’s see how it goes. I still think it will sell like hot cakes. If so, mission accomplished.

anunakki and thecarreaper like this.
  18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I just bought a Z51 C6 and was at my local dealer getting a recall and few small things done. The person I know there has been there forever and is way up in the chain of ownership. He to was excited about the low C8 base price tag in the $60k ish range. Be a hell of a car, considering how good the "base" c6 and C7 cars are. No way to use what a base C6 can do at 100% on public roads, and I for one don't have the talent to push the car.

I miss the sound and smells of my Ferrari 328's, but not the maintenance, fragility and worry about leaving them out in public.

The C6+ Vettes are very, very good "cars" whereas the older exotics I had were "toys".

C8 will be fun. :)

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Always enjoyed the effortless revs behind your ear in a 328 plus the tidy size of those cars compared to the larger 360 and what followed!

Eric308gtsiqv likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Better get it back to the garage before midnight! :)

ingegnere and energy88 like this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL!!!!!!

Where's the glass slipper?

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    you must have missed the recall letter!

24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Do love that new shade of orange!

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Finally happening. I have to say this thread has been one of the most fun threads about the car I have ever read....on a Ferrari forum, no less!

Now, we just need the Mayor to sell the Alfa and do another epic cross country trip to get the car ;)

thecarreaper, anunakki and of2worlds like this.