F430 vs SCUD for first timer? | FerrariChat

F430 vs SCUD for first timer?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gunrunner1, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Hello,

I'm looking for some opinions from people that have owned both F430 and SCUD version.

I am looking at an '06 F430 and an '08 scud. I am coming from M cars and have never owned a Ferrari. I have driven both and done tons of research, and I appreciate both cars for what they are. I love the raw, visceral experience of the scud. I also love the beautiful italian leather and look of the F430. I will probably do a couple of track-days per year in it, and lots of canyon/coastal drives. I know the F430 will definitely be better for non-car geek passengers.

'06 F430 w/21k miles, Rossa scuderia/black + challenge wheels. $105k Beautiful car. Just PPI'd and needs about $3k into it. I heard a ticking sound at idle before it went to the mechanic that did PPI, so there's that. Unfortunately, he never heard it, says the manifolds are fine. Kind of worried that when i get the car, starts doing it again, and whatever it is costs big $$$

'08 430 scud Black/gold stripes and wheels w/27k mi. $153k. Needs an annual, i believe dealer will cover. Seems like it's seen a track day or two, but very nice looking and driving car.

I can stretch to the SCUD in terms of $$, but there would be a greater channce of having to sell if i needed cash for my business. The F430 would be less likely, the $100k-ish number is a bit easier all around.

What can you guys advise? Is the scud worth stretching another $50k and another 1.5 times the price in terms of the experience?

Thanks!

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Only you can answer that question. Personally, I would never push my finances for what I consider a "toy".

Note about the two cars:
    F430. Ticking, whether at cold start, or all the time, means the manifolds have a leak. A smoke test of the manifolds should be performed to confirm or deny a problem. If the mechanic did not perform a smoke test, he is just guessing. That will be expensive to correct, as you will likely need to replace them.
    Scuderia. There really isn't an "annual" service... and each dealer will vary on what that covers. For most it is oil/filter and brake fluid change. The two year service includes those, plus coolant change, power steering fluid change, transaxle fluid change, new cabin filter and sometimes engine air filters (about $2k at an FNA dealer). Without service history, you would want the two year service performed.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Having driven both multiple times.....hell yes, worth even a bigger difference. But only you can decide

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    The only regret I have with my F430 is that I didn't buy a Scud.:( ......I may still get one.

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  5. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Thanks for the insight F355.

I understand your point about spending money on a toy. I can afford either car, but the price difference is still significant. The last few years of my life have been spent working very hard, and I'd love to experience a Ferrari while i'm still fairly young. Driving is one of my great passions in life, and almost nothing in life gives me the enjoyment of a high revving V8.

As far as the F430 car that i'm looking at, he did test the manifolds. The ticking noise happend only after the car had been warmed up after the test drive. It was very noticeable, the sales rep agreed that it sounded weird. The ppi was done the next day and I was unable to be there, unfortunately. The mechanic said that it might have been an exhaust valve, or perhaps valvetrain noise that i was hearing, and he assures that the car is solid other than ball joints, and annual service. The last one was done just over a year ago.

Any other ideas on what the sound might be?

6. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Yeah, it's a bummer that i didn't get to push it much on the test drive. Would you say the scud is trickier to drive at the limit?

7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hmmm....if the F430 is not a spider, I would likely get the Scud I have an F430 spider, Nero, that I just got two months ago, also a 1st time ferrari owner Phreaking LOVE this car. however, one of the main reasons I love it, is the top down experience.

My neighbor and good friend has a 360 and an '08 Scud. We went driving around the town last weekend in his scud doing some fun errands, and all I can say is damn, that car is visceral. however, when just cruising, it was quite docile, and dare I say comfortable as a passenger It was super fast, handled like a mofo, and looks like nothing else on the road. So, if you are planning on any track days at all, you will very much enjoy. Lastly, while more upfront money, it will also "likely" hold its value better, given that its a scud. however, the "gold" wheels sound odd, and I would imagine you would want to powder coat a different color.

if you go the 430 route, I think you can def buy that car cheaper. I just paid $106 for my '07 spider, with 19K miles. And it had CCB's, rear CF challenge grill and ball polished rims. Again, I LOVE this car and personally like the exhaust note of the car better.

Keep us posted

blkdiablo33 and Gunrunner1 like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The Scuderia has a higher limit, which I'm sure I would never see 10/10. Honestly, they drove and felt like two different cars instead of variations of the same car. The ONLY issue that prevented me from buying one 5 years ago, is that the wife was uncomfortable with the sound level and it always wants to be on.

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    go scud unless you want comfort and more docile experience.

Bas and Gunrunner1 like this.
  10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Scud, hands down. Any Ferrari track special is worth it to me.

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  11. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Funny you say that, I think the same thing

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Go for the Scuderia

Gunrunner1 and plastique999 like this.
  13. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    My first ferrari is a f430. That car is more than enough for any enthusiast. The soundon those stock exhaust is one of the best ive heard.

Ive comd full circle and owned a scud, 360 and speciale but im back in a scud.

s14m3, zeke_dog9 and Gunrunner1 like this.
  14. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Currently debating myself in steeping up from my 430 to either a scud or 458. Though scud is pushing to the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunrunner1 and Mimmo Blue like this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If ur gonna drive it get 458. If you are gonna collect get the scud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunrunner1 and bart12 like this.
  16. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Yeah, if you are going to drive it and putmiles on it, get a 458.

Alot of good deals out there.

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  17. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If you want the more extreme driving experience and minimal depreciation as long as you don’t go crazy on the miles, the Scud is the way to go. Don’t get a black one, though. They are much harder to sell.

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Save up a lil more, get the Scud and dont look back.

blkdiablo33 and Gunrunner1 like this.
  19. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    I spent a couple of days in a 458, truly an amazing machine. For some reason, the 430's speak to me more. I prefer the interior/exterior look of the 430, even though the 458 does feel more modern. That being said, I was considering a 458 for several months.

20. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Thanks for the advice The scud has 27k miles on it, and I could see putting 5k+ mi per year on it. I figure that the price is fair for the miles, and maybe a little less mileage sensitive at this point?

When I started my search for an F430 several months ago, I only wanted red. When I started dreaming about a scud, I really liked black as it just looked mean. This black/gold car looks stunning in person, and I like that it's unique.

There are two rossa corsa scuds out there for $170 atm, both with about half of the miles as this car. I realize that paying $20k more for half the miles is probably wise in most cases, but I will actually be driving this car and $150 is already at the top (slightly over)of the budget.

I wish this was an easier choice! Lol

21. Gunrunner1

Gunrunner1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    Paul Rychlik
    Thanks to everyone for the input so far! I'm starting to lean more towards getting the scud. I've been dreaming of a red F430 for quite a while now, and the idea of going up to the scud is pretty recent.

22. Toby Tyke

Toby Tyke Karting

Nov 15, 2017
    SoCal & Singapore
    Full Name:
    Toby Tyke
    I was shocked how compliant and comfortable my 16M is. Heard about the visceral experience of the Scud, but actually it’s a great cruiser, and absolutely incredible as you start to push. I have 2 caveats
    1). My baseline was a Lotus Exige, so in reality anything is more comfort than that. That being said I call the 16M a grown up Exige
    2). I have no experience of a standard 430
    Toby

Gunrunner1, ShineKen and plastique999 like this.
  23. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Owned F430 and 2 Scuderia and owned a 458 after...finally sold the 458 and got back to another 430 Scuderia. Imho the best Ferrari ever made. But it's my own opinion.
    Facts: the scuderia is much more challenging to drive, more noise, more heat in the cabin, more involving, so be prepared if you drive a lot like I do. If you still want a good car buy an F430, that is a tractor compared to the 458 which is one of the best V8's ever made. The 458 is more refined, much more easy to drive compared to the F430, lots of improvements (especially on the suspensions and softwares) that will make you feel more at ease and comfortable while having fun. The scuderia understeers more than the 458, so if you like to push hard you need to know better your limits compared to the 458 that allows you to play at higher levels. The F430 has a slow gearbox compared to today's standards, the Scuderia as the best one if you push hard and like to have that amazing kick in the back, the 458 has the softer one especially if you use it downtown in city traffic.
    Hope this helps.

Gunrunner1 and plastique999 like this.
  24. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I consider all M cars to be "soft", more luxurious than sport car. Don't get me wrong they are all Beasts, just very comfortable Beasts.
    Thats what the 430 will be like, comfortable Beast.
    Scud = raw. Hear every rock banging against floor board, stiffer ride, more visceral.
    The other tipping point, the Scud is a limited production car, making it a notch above.

Gunrunner1 likes this.
  25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Or if you need to buy at the bottom of the market, get a black one and wrap it.

VAF84 and Gunrunner1 like this.