3 year cam belt service - such a waste | Page 2 | FerrariChat

3 year cam belt service - such a waste

Discussion in '360/430' started by cgfen, Apr 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Is the 3 year belt change recommended for all timing belt Fcars or just for particular or earlier models? For the engine out belt change models it sure takes a bit of fun out of owning those models and likely the resale value as well.

2. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    It's like obesity. If you don't eat your heart out you won't be obese. <==== If we change every 3 years, we won't have a blown engine due to belts.

Consider me obese in this analogy, I don't change every 3 years. 5 to 8 years is mine but I never redline or go over 6K RPM (maybe twice only in my entire ownership). :D

3. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    you do know 360 spins to 8500rpm. while a Civic / Integra Type-R (from same era) spins to ~8400rpm redline with 8,900rpm fuel cut (depending on country)?
    Civic Type-R also make 200hp with 1.8L, while 360 makes 400hp with 3.6L.
    I am comparing same era (around 2000) engines. This is also the time Ferrari won 6 consecutive F1 championship, 99-2004.

Jaguar36 and Drestless like this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    And the Civic says 84 months so 7 years. I didn't see a manual for the Type-R; It is likely different since it is a different motor. There are also a LOT of threads about timing belt failures on the Civics so they are clearly pushing the limits. Then again, it only costs a few $k to fix that. In your car the cost is significantly more. Your car do as you want but no whining when it grenades.

5. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
  6. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Probably why my engine is still alive. :)

Per this article, “Firstly, most Ferraris are driven up to the red line regularly – in a 360 that is 8,500 rpm, which is a hell of a speed for a rubber belt to be travelling. ”

I don’t drive to redline or even touch 6k. Call me boring but that’s more than enough in the streets.

Belt change is 5 - 8 yrs interval on mine for those who haven’t read this thread from the beginning.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Isn't that an oxymoron? If the belt is broken..... there probably is 'discernible wear'.

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Honestly, the 3 year belt service is to drum up service business for dealers and a badge of honor for gullible owners.

The owners manual in my 348 said, belt changes were at 52,500 miles. I've done majors on 348s, Mondials, 308s, TRs, F40 and a CS. Belts were always fine. My cars see visits to redline, and race tracks. I may have only earned a living wrenching during school (to make a few bucks), but I've been wrenching since I was 17. This belt change neuroses is extortion.

Jakuzzi, ryalex, one4torque and 2 others like this.
  9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have a dog in the fight.... but I offer this,

I snapped a timing belt in a Honda Accord at 70k miles. It wasn't much fun, walking along Interstate-40 in Eastern Tennessee in the pre-cellular phone era. The walk on the interstate however, was delightful compared to the 250+ mile ride home in a tow truck with my Accord on the flatbed behind, while enduring the crazed rants of a tow-operator who lived in those woods of Eastern Tennessee.

Bottom line? I was a dumb kid who didn't know three key things: (1) follow the vehicle manufacturers recommendation. (2) don't walk on the Interstate. (3) there were crazy people in America before the internet.

mathewr, Jaguar36, Need4Spd and 2 others like this.
  10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’m in the 5 year camp.
    But my car is a cream puff...at least since I’ve owned it. I don’t get to put more than 2k miles on it in a given year...not by intention, just works out that way.

Drestless likes this.
  11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Last year when I took my my car (08 612 OTO) in for service it was 3 years and about 4.5k+ miles since a belt change. The Ferrari Serv Mgr didn't say anything about new belts so I assumed that the 5 year 15k mile rule was still in play. He was well aware that the belts were done when I purchased the car at 5.5k miles in August 2015 and my service was being done at 11k and 3 years so it would seem that there is some flexibility in that rule? Also that is the facility that services most all the dealer maintained race and track vehicles for So Cal hence I assume they know what they are doing.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I thought Ferrari officially recommends 5 years on the v12? So your car wasn't due. They left the 360 at 3 years.

13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That was my though as well but I hear so many different comments it is hard to stay current or know the most current thinking on the issue.:confused:

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Taz has answered this a few times and I think you are correct, they changed the V12 but not the V8. Don't really know why but something tells me it wasn't 'Let's give the V12 owners a break and put he screws to the V8 owners.'

randkin likes this.
  15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don’ know I kind of like the idea “Let’s give the V12 owners a break and put the screws to the V8 owners”. LOL :D:D:D

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ^^ I think it's strictly a business decision. There are more V8 owners than V12 owners.

one4torque and Drestless like this.
  17. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Its not about wear, its about ozone attack of rubber

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In a very minor way. That is about 5 % of the issue.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The relevant information is 11 and 15 years old respectively

Hard to keep up....I know.

randkin likes this.
  22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Link to reference please.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You sound like a school boy. Research it yourself. I have better things to do.

24. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As expected ... cow manure. Plenty of them in Texas I gathered.

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    If it was only a business decision, they'd all have the same service interval.