mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 90 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I am by no means putting the car down. Its just not for me. Second, I am sick and tired (and tired and sick) of everyone talking about the track. It's less than one percent of owners of any car brand or make but you all talk about it as its the most important thing about the car. I've been tracking since 2004 when I took my driving class working towards my licenses before stopping (total nother story). But I still go and track my cars from time to time. I also like doing back country road day trips and vacation trips with my PLAY TOY. I want to be able to do these things in one car. However, it has to have a manual if its a Corvette or I will not bite. Too many other cars out there that are ME with paddles that I can choose from. And don't start spouting stats that the new C8 will blow these others away. Reread what I said about A) 99.9% drivers cannot hit the published numbers anyway so whats the point of it? Bench racing? B) How I use a car and what I want it to do. I hope the C8 is everything that it is suppose to be. If they pull a Porsche and have a model with a stick then I will have to look.

boxerman likes this.
  2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I hear you, that is indeed a very appealing car. If Gm made that car new therw would be very few sales. However there is no reason a new vette should not have the viceral appeal of this car to go with its refinement.

Eric R likes this.
  4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #2229 jimmyb, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    In regards to the GT3/GT3RS, I hope (but not counting on it) that GM will take a page out of that playbook. Do it just like Porsche...say "we're going to make 1,000 of these" and make a de-contented, lighter, more aero C8 and PRE-SELL them. Sell it for $130K, your choice of manual or DCT, and they'd sell it out in a week, I bet.

For the sake of the story, take a C7 GS, de-content it (and save 150 pounds or so), offer it for $95K, 1,000 copies, PRE-SOLD. That would have worked, IMO (though will never know now).

Eric R likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2230 TheMayor, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    I think this must be said

IF GM can make this car at just under 70K starting, it will be earth shattering. It will show that making a mid engine V8 car doesn't have to be out of range for 99% of the people.

It may not be the fastest, the most luxurious, or even the best made. It certainly won't have the latest in technology. But it's price / value will make up for that.

Of course we don't know the price yet. And I'm sure a lot of them will still come out at about $100K. But the idea that someone could buy one, mod it the way they want without fear (unlike Ferrari or Lambo owners), drive it as a daily driver without the worry of "depreciated value" from some nitwit in a 1976 Camry hitting them, and let drivers have a bit of fun in today's world of cookie cutter cars, that's a big positive.

I don't see the C8 as a "world beater". I see it as the next logical step of the evolution of Corvette for Corvette owners and buyers. Nothing more, nothing less.

My biggest concern is still GM quality and quality control. If this was Honda I'd be much more assured. But GM is not Honda.

VAF84 and rdefabri like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

They made a camry in 76?
    Agreed for the price its a ME game changer, to the extent people care about aMe engine position in that market price point.
    I think the current vette already suffers because the camaro is for all practical purposes so close in real road performance.

90 pages and counting, I would say this is the most anticipated car release on fchat.

k wright likes this.
  7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And that is my issue on the styling. It looks too much like the Camaro, particularly from the rear (at least as from what we can see so far). I was hoping for something more.

8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    FWIW, I think GM deserves kudos these days for letting the 2 engineering teams (Camaro and Corvette) just do their best. No question, for decades Camaro (and Firebird) were the "little brothers" and were not ALLOWED to compete with Corvette. Now, very clearly, it's who can do what with the chassis they were delivered. Porsche is a GREAT car company but NO ONE can doubt that the Cayman/Boxster twins have NEVER been allowed to encroach on the 911's place in the pecking order. I hope we all agree that the Cayman GT4, with the GT3 engine, would absolutely smack the 911 based car to the curb.

Boomhauer, k wright, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    SAT4RE, werewolf and jm2 like this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Camaro is too big and a 2+2 to be a real replacement. Its more like a substitute. You could say the Mustang is a substitute as well. That doesn't help GM.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    God I hope its better looking than that when they reveal it.

CK7684 and JV's89 like this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    July 18, stay tuned.

anunakki likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, I don't think it could look worse than that! It looks like 2 different cars spliced together.

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    as I said.....

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Two different ugly cars.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Dont know about the C8, the C5 vette was a serial offender of the two cars spliced school of styling, as was the testarossa.

18. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    The front looks too smushed compared to the mules

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login On the Corvette Blogger site, one of the members put this cool Ferrari/Corvette comparison together. Before everyone gets all wacko, there is no implication that either one copied the other. Just a visual comparison over the years. Read into it what you will.

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    All wacko here? Surely you jest; just some guys dissecting a new C8 design before it has even been unveiled yet...:D

Ak Jim and Boomhauer like this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    He missed the big one. The C7 looks a lot like the F12, particularly from the side.

What the others have in common is they all have 4 wheels.

To me Vette styling has been going more and more Lambo like since the C7 came about.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I still don't understand "July 18th". That's 3 months from now. Are they still working on what it looks like and the performance specs? Why not just release it now? Dealers are already selling them.

jm2 likes this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    One of the mysteries of life. Why does Apple hold their release dates so close to the vest? Why does Ferrari hold their release dates so close? The F8 Spider is done for all intents and purposes, yet they are waiting. It's all a big mystery. ;)

Boomhauer, anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/apr/0425-bowlinggreen.html?fbclid=IwAR19OOc-PnaI3aBSbNBPRMOtHrKD75nEJDUR7kL2AM4dr1VJHvgO_pmSIRo

GM to Add Second Shift and More Than 400 Hourly Jobs at Bowling Green (Ky.) Assembly Plant
    Since 2011, GM has invested more than $900 million in Bowling Green
    2019-04-25

Image Unavailable, Please Login Print Image Unavailable, Please Login Email Image Unavailable, Please Login Word Image Unavailable, Please Login Add This
    Bowling Green, Ky. — General Motors is adding a second shift and more than 400 hourly jobs at its Bowling Green (Kentucky) Assembly plant to support production of the Next Generation Corvette, which will be revealed on July 18, 2019.

The addition of the second shift will increase the plant’s workforce to more than 1,300.

“The Corvette’s iconic status owes so much to the men and women of Bowling Green, where it has been built exclusively for almost 40 years,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “This is the workforce that can deliver a next generation Corvette worthy of both its historic past and an equally exciting future, and today’s announcement gets us one step closer to its reveal on July 18.”

Since 2011, GM has invested more than $900 million into Bowling Green. This includes investments towards a new body shop, increased engine capacity, new paint shop, a new Performance Build Center, and additional plant upgrades.

Bowling Green Assembly has produced more than one million Corvettes since it opened in 1981. The plant has the largest solar array of any automaker in Kentucky, and its annual economic impact includes more than $76 million in state wages and $15 million in income tax.

Known around the world as America’s sports car, the first-generation Corvette was introduced as a 1953 model year. Originally designed as a show car for the 1953 Motorama display at the New York Auto Show, it generated enough interest to go into production.

The seventh and most current generation Corvette was revealed in January 2013 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and was the first to bring back the Stingray nameplate since 1976. The final production seventh generation Corvette will be auctioned off this summer with proceeds benefitting the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation.

rdefabri, anunakki and of2worlds like this.