Someone help me with Modulo's Chassis | FerrariChat

Someone help me with Modulo's Chassis

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Londogno, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Londogno

Londogno Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    Medellín, Colombia
    Full Name:
    Felipe Londoño-Benjumea
    I hope Mr.Glickenhaus gets to read this, because I really need the Modulo guru.

First of all, I would like to congratulate your team, specially Sal Barone, for turning the Ferrari Modulo from a static sculpture into an actual car. Your job was extremely well executed, in keeping with the original aesthetics of the car. Secondly, I would like you to clarify what the identity of this chassis is. As I have read in several sources, the Modulo was supposedly a “surplus” 512S chassis, in this case, the 27th chassis. Most people agree that Ferrari built the 25 demanded 512 in order to compete with an engine of over 3 litres outside the “prototype” category. The 25 512S chassis are all numbered evenly from 1002 to 1050, which means that a 27th chassis should be 1054. However, I have read on certain sources that Modulo carries chassis number 0864, which would place it somewhere between the last P4s and early 312Ps. This seems contradictory with the story that Modulo was converted from 512S to 612 Can-Am specifications, since the 612 Can-Am was built before any 512, and carries chassis number 0866. Besides, as far as I’m concerned, the only 512 turned into Can-Am specifications was 1010. Barchetta says that the modulo's chassis number dates back to 1968, when no 512s existed AFAIK. So was there ever a car with chassis number 0864 before any 512s were produced? Why does Modulo have an "outdated" number for 1970?
    Thank you Mr.Glickenhaus, or anyone who can solve my confusion.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Please use the SEARCH function on fchat and you will find a million posts answering the questions re Modulo.
    Here's a photo of the ID tag.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ likes this.
  3. Londogno

Londogno Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    Medellín, Colombia
    Full Name:
    Felipe Londoño-Benjumea
    Thank you Marcel.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Did Ferrari just attach the chassis number with a couple of philips head screws to the race cars back then? if so no wonder they got swapped about so often!!!

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No. I don't think that tag was made and attached by Ferrari.
    Normally a stamped tag was properly welded onto one of the main tubes. Some sample photos here:

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, 375+, PAUL500 and 3 others like this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but even those to remove and weld again is no problem
    best is if the stamps are directly at the frame, and also this can be manipulated.

tomgt likes this.
  7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #7 miurasv, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    There is no question of Modulo's authenticity state when Mr Glickenhaus bought it direct from Pininfarina of course, but its chassis and empty engine/transaxle shells may well be without allocation of Ferrari identification numbers. The 0864 number is said to be for a spare engine for 0866. Mr Glickenhaus has posted many pics and videos of the bare chassis but AFAIK none of the 0864 number tags he claims on either the chassis or engine. So it's simple. He who alleges must prove......

8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    ....................................................................................................................................................................................

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps it's just me, but I find it funny how (coincidentally ?) similar OPs presentation approach & style it to that of a certain nemesis of Mr. G. and how conveniently the "other" VIN number is included/introduced (circumvented ?) to this discussion. :rolleyes:

Jakuzzi and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  10. Londogno

Londogno Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    Medellín, Colombia
    Full Name:
    Felipe Londoño-Benjumea
    Appart from that weird 512S/27 stamp, I also don't understand why in the first image from an old thread about Mr. Glickenhaus' purchase, he states that the drive train is all 612 Can-Am, but on the second image, his chief restorer Salvatore Barone states that the drive train was all 512S. The second image is an excerpt from an interview to both Glickenhaus and Barone about the Modulo’s restoration.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Regarding the screwed on tag, maybe that was just the temp one put on by the chassis maker to identify which frame it was before a VIN was allocated by Ferrari once the cars were built up? in this case as a spare it never became a full car so it stayed in place.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The similarity is in the valid questions. When you have learned a lot more about Ferraris outside that of changing the oil on a Daytona, only then come back and play. The VIN number being discussed is 0864. There is no "other" VIN number included/introduced or circumvented.

tomgt likes this.
  13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Original poster is posting from the location stated in his profile and nowhere near the location of miurasv. Let's quit the bickering and move on.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Yin,

You have access to data telling you where we are? If so I find that highly disturbing concerning honest people...but great for crooks:) Thank you in advance for your answer.

MS

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Any internet service has that capability. We treat it as private unless the user reveals it in their profile, in which case we can confirm it.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you, big brother is now in the room, the new normal I guess.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Brother has always been in the room.

Big Brother will never leave the building.

It is Big Brother that links Passioncar to FulvioMC to Fulvio Visioli. It is Big Brother that links mariafaga to Fredy2000 to davidrosenbaum to angelo505 and to claudinedubois (that was a good one!). Whatever the motives of these users, Big Brother is there to help the rest of us as he can put a stop to multiple profiles from a single user and also dismiss ludicrous allegations, if any were to be made, of users creating false profiles in order to make accusations against (past) users and their cars.

tritone, Timmmmmmmmmmy and Jakuzzi like this.
  18. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    NOBODY has stated that the OP is the one with a Lamborghini name..... or are we missing something? ;)

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thank you but I was not thinking about Ferrarichat or any thread therein, I was thinking about the world we live in in general nowadays and the very disturbing lack of privacy but as mentioned if it can help catch crooks that part is good...

MS

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately that can be faked by using a VPN - if you check my location just now, you should find that I am in the Netherlands (which I am not).

21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    We recognize VPNs and treat accordingly. A VPN is like wearing a mask in a crowd, it draws attention to you. Plenty of banned users that tried to hide behind a VPN. :cool:

tritone and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  22. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agree a search function would have been my first port of call on this. Methinks this post is simply designed to try and stir controversy.