Maranellos are disappearing | Page 41 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Many parted out the 250GT/E to use for 'legit' Ferrari
    Then some argued these early Enzo (pre-Fiat) era Ferrrai were as silly in their valuation, when one can buy a value Dino.
    Many argued the 'fake' Dino is silly when buying their practical and 'real Ferrari' GT4
    Others said the GT4 will stay in the toilet while buying their 412i 5 speed - a 'real' grand tourer.
    Some F355 folks said the 412i is the worse/ugliest Ferrari of all time and will stay at 30K.
    Doug De Muro says the F355 is always on the verge of spontaneous combustion...

and on and on and on....

Anyways, this only matters if one buys these with investment in mind, but many had 'cognitive dissonance' when it came to Ferrari history, sometimes for better, not all the time for worse, just ask the Admiral or my neighbor.

I agree about the Cali, beautiful car and very under-rated. But only 2-10 manuals in existence depending on who you ask.

Makuono and Red575 like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 599s are all dry plate clutches, too, just like the Scud and Sessanta/OTO 612s. All have twin disc dry clutches, not to be confused with dual clutch transmissions with wet clutches.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Terry, I learn something new everyday!

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    #1004 JimmyChooToo, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Of course certain features are extraneous. No one said otherwise. I just thought a single clutch LFA with that glorious V10 was an asset, not a liability. Recent prices support that argument. I also don’t think a Mondial T is superfluous. Collectors are snapping up perfect condition ones. A gated Cali has like two to six cars, ever. It is the last gated Ferrari. And that interior has certainly held up. It will reach 7 figures in value long Before the SuperAmerica does, if it hasn’t done so already. And the single clutch LFA’s are already worth more than the gated SuperAmericas.

paulchua likes this.
  5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Then more fool the buyer, IMO: I can think of a lot of other cars on which I should prefer to spend that sort of money (if I had it!) than on a Cali, just because it has a manual box!

Unless you mean this one, of course:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    #1006 JimmyChooToo, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Yes, I would love to spend only $1 million on a $15 million car too. Doesn’t make my statement on the value of the last gated Ferrari false in any way though.

And what better “accessory” to go along with your $15 million California than an even more rare gated new gen California? Imagine auctioning it off as a matching set only to find the 20 year old Saudi prince bought the set for the “other”, rarer Cali. That would be too funny.

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    People who spend ridiculous sums of money on cars purely because of rarity with little or no regard to merit (or just for bragging rights), may (or may not) be wise investors, but they have no feeling for cars (and frequently don't even drive them).

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You're right, I believe we agree more than disagree. I would put money down on California hitting 1M too.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised say in 40-50 years? That's the thing though right? Ultimately, one shouldn't buy these cars as investments unless that's your main game.

I'm just happy with having low depreciation, I'll take that as a 'win' all other thing being equal.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, some collectors really care (i.e. Leno/Mozart/Sienfeld) - others see it purely from a speculative business standpoint.

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I doubt it, if the rest of the Cali's end up with poor resale value. Sure the manual will command a premium. The Mondial T coupes are scarce and have little chance, to take flight.

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah i hear ya. But my time frame was 40-50 years. I heard numbers thrown around that they made 2-10 - I think it will hit it., especially if there really is only just 2 made.

Last price was already at $435K.

The Mondial t coupe is sort of a red herring, true they are very rare in the US (I believe around 40 here) but there are 800+ coupes around the world. I personally think the Mondial is a great car, I only mention it negatively vis-a-vis the unfair perception of many "not in the know." As to if they will ever take flight, I have no clue, nor do I think anybody that buys one should bank on. I remember when the Dino 308 GT4 was routinely bashed when you can buy them for 20K all day long. This was not like some long time ago either; I'm sure you heard this common refrain as recently as a few years ago. Same with the 400/412, I just barely missed this 412i 5 speed a few years ago for 45K (final negotiated price).

Also nice to see this turn up at Canepa, I believe this museum piece sold for $90K 2 years ago.

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I used to think that series of 2+2's was the ugliest and most disappointing Ferrari design of all time. I fell in love with Ferrari 2+2's with the 365 GTC/4 2+2, which is at least as good looking as the Daytona to me, so after that, the series ending with the 412i was anathema to me. I just pretended they didn't exist. Now I'm actually starting to appreciate the design. Must be getting old. :)

Il Tifoso, F456M and paulchua like this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have to admit not realising how prized the LFAs have become. But you are a brave man to predict the future of car prices!

The top price I can find at auction for an LFA is $880k at RM Scottsdale January this year. Meanwhile a 575 SA HGTC manual achieved $913,000 at Pebble Beach last summer.

Either may have broken a million in a private sale. But on available evidence, the gated SA HGTC is ahead by a nose. What's for sure is that LFAs are not, in general, worth more than gated SAs. Another gated SA sold at auction in Europe at close to this price also.

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Beautiful in Blue:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

:):):)

16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    paulchua likes this.
  17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    F456M and paulchua like this.
  19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Spotted a theme yet? :D

paulchua and ralfabco like this.
  21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm not that big of a fan of blue cars, but navy blue is my favorite for the VW Beetle. It was my first car, in fact. A '69.

F456M likes this.
  23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    G. Pepper, Bluebottle and paulchua like this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How do you like that Bentley? I am looking at a 1995 Brooklands in that same Peackock or Royal Blue myself these days. To keep in Nice, France and to sometimes rent it our to friends and people who want a car not being an ordinary rental car... How good/bad are they ?