F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019. | Page 9 | FerrariChat

F1 race in downtown Miami being discussed for 2019.

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I said for many times this would never happen. Its impossible to get locals to agree to it. If they tried to do a Grand Prix in Long Beach now it would never happen. Too much traffic, too much noise, too much cost, too much pollution, etc.

Its not 1976 anymore.

WJHMH, Bas, daytona355 and 1 other person like this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sad but probably right.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, the Homestead/ISC lobby has scared eleven downtown residents so much with their fear
    mongering about what a Grand Prix would do to their quality of living that they've completely
    shut it down?

Seems hard to believe.

The real delay at hand is the land use issue. Not only through Bayfront Park but the Bayside mall
    which would be effectively be cut off by the circuit itself.

We'll see what happens and thanks for posting the article as there has been sadly little reporting
    about it around here since the Miami Herald is in the pocket of the Homestead/ISC lobby. Those
    who buy adverting rule.

BHW

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can well sympathise with that. For 2 years we had the e.GP here in Battersea (London), and I was practically prisoner in my flat.
    During one week, I had no access to my parking spot (for which I pay £1200 a year), no public transport, no convenience shop opened, etc ...
    Days and nights before and after the event workmen were building and dismantling installations and no one could sleep.
    Thanks God, the résidents petition worked, and it was cancelled this year, and probably for the future.
    That's why I am dead against street races!

ingegnere, daytona355 and TheMayor like this.
  5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The last thing F1 needs is more running on poorly maintained streets.
    (Anyone remember the loose manhole covers from Long Beach?)

william likes this.
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Liberty wants Miami for the visuals (open waters, palm trees, cruise ships, skyline, etc.

They can't keep kicking the can down the road much longer. If the vote doesn't happen by next
    month, chances are looking slimmer by the day.

BHW

Bas likes this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    @TheMayor

[Racefans] Miami promoters ‘scrap plan for downtown F1 race.

This thread is done.

Finlander and Jakuzzi like this.
  8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    It is difficult to get the financing to pay the "ransom" to host and F1 race.

I believe it would be easier to get a Formula E race in Miami.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

That's the good thing about FE: it's cheaper.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #210 TheMayor, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Rumor has it the Long Beach GP will also be phased out. LB wants the property for more productive things than a 3 day event.

Street racing is on its way out, at least in America. Too much disruption, too much traffic, too much noise, too much cost. The purpose of Street Racing was hyped as a PR event for the city and some kind of "tourism benefit" . Now its no longer worth the PR or the money it brings.

I actually bet some people would plan to stay AWAY from Miami during the race period.

Look at it this way. If they wanted to do an F1 race in the streets of Austin, do you really think anyone could get it through? No way, for the reasons I just stated.

william likes this.
  11. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    So sad; and it goes to show that there are more p*ssies than vaginas in this world now. :( ;)

ATBNM3 likes this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its always been dollars and cents since the beginning of time.

william and Jakuzzi like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It has been my opinion all along.
    In Europe (at least) street circuits used to be very popular in the heydays of motor racing (20s and 30s).
    Then it was realised that they created too much havoc, and were not exactly safe, and most disappeared in the 50s.
    To replace them tracks started to be built outside towns, following the development of race cars.
    Only Monaco was the exception.

Since it took control of F1, Liberty has advocated a return to circuits in town to boost its calendar.
    Street circuits benefit from many exemptions imposed on purposed-built tracks: in short, they are less safe.
    Now, with cars approaching 1000hp and capable to reach between 220 and 240 mph, steet racing becomes a dangerous heresy, IMO.
    I don't think they provide good racing either, but that could be a matter of taste.

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/142922/miami-gp-switches-focus-to-stadium-circuit-plan

Now Ross and his team have switched focus to a site near the Hard Rock Stadium venue in Miami Gardens, a 65,000-seat venue to the north of the city that will play host to the 2020 Super Bowl.

It hopes to create a "world-class racing circuit" in the land surrounding the stadium, and recently hosted the Miami Open tennis tournament for the first time.

Former Chip Ganassi Racing executive Tom Garfinkel, now vice chairman and CEO of Miami Dolphins and the stadium, told the Miami Herald that the disruption caused by a downtown event would negate the benefits to the city.

"We want to do something great for Miami," said Garfinkel. "But unfortunately when we finally received the detailed report of what it would take to build out a street circuit each year, the multiple weeks of traffic and construction disruption to the port, Bayfront Park and the residents and businesses on Biscayne Boulevard would have been significant; which Steve and I felt defeated the purpose.

"A lot would have to happen for us to be able to do it, but we have over 250 acres of land so adding an F1 race to where Hard Rock Stadium and the Miami Open sit means we can create a world-class racing circuit that is unencumbered by existing infrastructure.

"It also means better ingress and egress, better amenities, unprecedented sight-lines, and opportunities for the best hospitality anywhere in racing.

"We only want to do it if we can create world-class racing, a great fan experience, and a lot of value for Miami."

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The proposed downtown Miami Formula One Grand Prix venue has evidently been
    shifted to the Hard Rock Stadium location.

I was afraid of this as I was told some time ago that Stephen Ross wanted to move all
    events of this sort, including the Miami Open tennis tournament, out to the stadium and
    it seems he may be getting his way.

So, F-1 loses the visual of the downtown Miami skyline, palm trees, beautiful turquoise
    water, cruise ships, etc. for embarrassing hell hole that is Miami Gardens.
    Seems to me that CART tried an idea like this when they ran a street course set up
    through the parking lot of Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands, New Jersey which didn’t
    work out so well.

The Meadowlands Grand Prix ran for eight years (1984-1991), never caught on in the
    New York market and was scrapped after it was deemed “unpopular” with spectators
    as well as teams.

The next obstacle will be the timing of the event. They certainly can’t do it during football
    season (August through December) per the Dolphins and Hurricanes. They’d have
    to move it to early Spring but then the Miami Open is square in the middle of that, on
    and on it goes.

What happens next is anyone’s guess.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/miami-grand-prix-dolphins-stadium/4375219/

BHW

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    These considérations never stop to amaze me.
    According to you, the date for a potential GP in Miami could be dictated by football and tennis calendars !
    I would have thought they cater for different audiences.
    I say that maybe because I am only a motor racing fan and never cared much for any other sport (apart bikes that is).
    I have never been to a football match or watched tennis, golf, athletics, cycling, etc... and never intend to.
    Had the British GP been held in the middle of the Olympics, or the Football World Cup, for all I care, that wouldn't have stopped me from attending .
    The way you say it, Miami would be very Lucky to have a race at all !!

17. DF1

No rational entity has the risk portfolio to actually build a circuit, outside of certain well funded governments. Liberty and Miami are a dead end.

Street circuits are all that’s left for F1 lol - in terms of growth??

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, if we can't have a street race I'm still happy with a F1 GP near Miami. Suits me just as fine: Staying in Miami where you have all the infrastructure and entertainment and spend the day at the track. Like Austin.

I'm ok with that. As long as it is not in the summer.

bball16 likes this.
  19. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    They should do it in Fort Lauderdale. Andretti already proposed a circuit for IndyCar a while back.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #220 BartonWorkman, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Well, the reality is that Hard Rock Stadium is there for football and is used on a weekly basis for
    football (college and pro) on virtually every weekend from August through January factoring in
    Super Bowl and college bowl games, next year that will go until early February.

We've just come through a very active Spring that was full of events end to end including the Miami
    Open at Hard Rock, Ultra, et.al. If F-1 opts to go the route of Hard Rock Stadium, their only real option
    would be to do it this time of year, mid to late April as it then becomes way too hot for an event of this
    type from May until October.

But, then Liberty loses the visual of the downtown skyline, palm trees, water front, cruise ships, etc. which is the glamorous visual they want, not a football stadium parking lot out in Miami Gardens which is, quite frankly a crime infested **** hole.

My opinion and those I've spoken with today, this likely isn't going to happen.

BHW

Nembo1777, DF1 and william like this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, I get it.

22. DF1

Thanks for the insight Barton

23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  24. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That looks like a terrible track and venue

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #225 Nembo1777, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Horrible track design all about power and brakes, zero skill use, the contrary of Spa or Suzuka.They have the space to insert some challenging curves and corners though. Hopefully if this race actually happens the drivers will be consulted.
    Also they might as well drive through that stadium thingie and make use of its seats and suites.