308 smoking | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 smoking

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Hopper, Apr 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Grog like post ! :)

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    You’re the BEST! NO YOUR the best! NO, YOUR THE BEST!!
    (rolls eyes)

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The best know when to be quiet and watch, and it has been proven in this thread.

sjd

jjtjr likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm not quite clear on whether the smoke is coming from inside the exhaust pipe, or a fluid dripping on to the hot pipe and smoking.

Kinda need more info than "hot exhaust make smoke don't want" before one starts pulling parts out of the car.

5. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    just pull the plugs and look at them. You will learn a lot about the car. If brake fluid is leaking you will see it in the plugs. Not likely though.

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    What does brake fluid on the plugs look like? You should be able to narrow down the problem without removing plugs. It's a fair amount of work.

7. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Really? Think about it. You’ve all been trolled by the red herring. Pull the damn plugs and figure out what is wrong. It’s just a car guys.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    So you are advocating sniffing, licking and looking at a soiled rag and all of that from just standing behind the car....wow, you are the nuts!

9. magaoidh

magaoidh Karting

May 12, 2009
    I have known and read Rifledrivers posts for years and he knows a lot of stuff!

tazz99 and Ak Jim like this.
  10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    He should do, he has been at it for a long time. I had to laugh at the rag sniffing theory though, its surprising what you learn in 30+ years

11. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Someone posts a ridiculous question with no basis or reasoning & everyone runs off at the mouth with no sign of the original poster. Smoke from right exhaust, 4 words and its on!!!! Lol

johnk... likes this.
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    One thing I didn't see mentioned. The 308/328 cars will naturally produce more steam/smoke out of the right side tail pipe due to the design of how the manifolds are connected to the muffler. Much more noticable in colder ambient temperatures.

Top off as a control, then drive and monitor your fluid levels. Oil, brake fluid and coolant. If any one of those starts disappearing at a higher rate then normal..you have found your culprit. Next is to find the cause.

Dane likes this.
  14. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had a MGC once that had brake boosters that were bad. Looked like I was fogging for mosquitoes!

15. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    In the Military I have known many 'Motor Officers' (really Maintenance Techs) and NCOs. They were responsible for keeping several hundred vehicles, each, Fully Mission Capable, 24x7x365.25. And they were DAMN GOOD at it.

Point being, they never 'Broke Wind,' let alone 'Broke a Seal' on ANYTHING without checking EVERYTHING out FIRST; Visually. Then starting 'it;' checking again Visually and adding Listening and then letting it run 10+ minutes and checking it AGAIN Visually and Listening.

A piece of 'filter paper' over the exhaust was also almost always applied.

Once all clues were gathered and inspected and analysed by the Motor Officer/Maint Tech did I EVER see a mechanic reach for a wrench.

WORK SMART, FIRST.

THEN
    WORK HARD.

Ak Jim likes this.
  16. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    ^^^^^^^THIS

17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I think the car should maybe start to vape.....it's supposedly better than smoking

Qavion likes this.