NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER) | Page 45 | FerrariChat

NEW V8 MID ENGINED MODEL (BIG BROTHER)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    That's the curriculum I checked a few days ago. I thought I've seen another one with that project code, but I can't find anything else. I must have imagined it, sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, one of them (F166 or F167) should be the hybrid Portofino Coupé (to be unveiled in July according to Ferr9000 - I copied/pasted his post below)
    _______
    1. F142MFL - F8 Tributo already presented.
    2. F173 - Big Brother - 05/2019
    3.""Portofino Coupe"" - 07/2019 Private preview inclueded*
    4. F142MFL Spider - 09/2019
    5. 812 Spider - 10-11/2019

Put some extra plugs in your garages if you are in for #2 and #3.
    _______

sfcarguy, Sonny812 and of2worlds like this.
  2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Do you think there will be a BB Spider ?

3. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    what car? thx!

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Because I already wrote it in English and you just answered that Manzoni doesn't even know what he is saying!

So I wrote the exact Italian words he said and you can translate it by yourself.

"Replace the 812" doesn't mean the 812 will be out of production, of course: it just means it won't be anymore the new Ferrari flagship as performances. The new V8 hybrid will be more powerful, faster and more expensive than the 812S and it will be a standard production car.

Probably V12 will survive on the Icona/limited production models, but he didn't say anything about that.

ciao

5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Strong hints the car will only be a targa one .
    Some knows but couldn't tell more about this ..

crinoid and dcmetro like this.
  6. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    The mule spotted at Fiorano should be a targa, but I think it's possible that Ferrari might also launch a coupé version (before or at the same time).

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Thank you. It makes perfect sense for the flagship to be rear-mid engined. I just wish it was a N/A V12. Any chance of having a V8, aka BB, and a rear-mid engined V12 on top of that, effectively replacing the 812? Interesting times...

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Thank you for your insight.
    Leiters though said that the V12 will carry on in regular production models.

9. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    #1109 F140C, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    So I just wasted 5€ on the new issue of QR, just to find out that Manzoni only says a couple of things about this: the quote Albert-LP alredy posted and that it makes more sense to have a mid-engined flagship because a front engine layout is more suited for Gran Turismo's. The rest is pretty much about the P80/C.

A GT with a V12 is nice, but It's no 812...

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Quattroruote magazine has 300+ pages so you can read a lot more: On May issue there is the 488 Pista test. You can learn it did 10.2 s on the quarter mile and so on: In my opinion you didn't waste any money...

ciao

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Never a waste as Alberto says to support magazines and books to. They need our support now that so much info is available on the computer these days! Thanks

kandi and F140C like this.
  12. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    You're right, guys. "Wasted" wasn't probably the right word, even if I was hoping for a longer interview. I always enjoy reading what Manzoni & Co. have to share and say about our beloved brand.
    I also bought the latest issue of "Youngtimer" with the Integra/Civic/S2000 V-TEC comparison and a couple of articles on the Fiat Coupé Turbo and Dodge Viper. The '90s nostalgia level is through the roof! :D

jumpinjohn, stavura, kandi and 2 others like this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks anyway for taking the hit in order to provide the rest of us with the latest news - much appreciated. Oh, and enjoy your reading!

kandi, F140C and of2worlds like this.
  14. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth

That stinks, V12's are my favorite Ferraris

15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Interesting question, other than a 2013 Prius,
    Can you help with locating that exact statement regarding 'regular production models' I have found only these:

"Leiters said that while the V-12 engines that form the core of the brand's identity will continue to be naturally aspirated, with no hybrid assistance, smaller displacement engines from the company will likely have both turbochargers and hybridization."

Leiters was adamant that only Ferrari's smaller-displacement engines will get electrified as the benefits of hybridization are maximized with smaller combustion engines. He said, “A naturally aspirated V-12 engine is not a downsized engine, and for me it doesn’t make sense as a hybrid. We will fight for the V-12, of course. We will do everything we can to keep it as it is core to our brand. But a real hybridisation of the V-12? I don’t see it.”

"It’s very important to differentiate which car I want (a hybrid system) in,” Leiters said. "If we’re doing a V12, I’m not thinking about hybridization. It’s a contradiction. Maybe we would get a little reduction in consumption with a hybrid, but it doesn’t make sense. To get the full potential of a hybrid, we need to downsize the engine. With a V12, naturally aspirated car, we don’t have that downsizing.”

Lamborghini, by contrast, also plans to retain the naturally aspirated V12 but with one major difference: batteries, or more specifically, supercapacitors. That’s still considered hybridization. Leiters made it clear that’s not happening at Ferrari. Last year, Ferrari announced that 60 percent of its vehicles will be hybrids by 2022, but what about the remaining 40 percent? Leiters also had this to say: "We will fight for the V12, to maintain it like this today, because it is core Ferrari.”

But the main takeaway Leiters provided is that Ferrari has no intention of adapting future V12s in the way it did for the LaFerrari.

Don't bet on the model using a V12 combustion engine like the LaFerrari, though. Quotes from Ferrari technical director Michael Leiters suggest that he doesn't see much of a future for hybrid, large displacement powerplants. “If you want to maximize the benefits of an electrified powertrain, you need to do it with downsizing otherwise it doesn’t make sense," he said in March.

Fake engine noise could be pumped into the cabin, some automakers already do this, even in gasoline-powered cars, but Ferrari’s CTO, Michael Hugo Leiters, called the idea unthinkable for his Aristocrat brand.

adding some notes:

40% of 10,000 is 4,000, that's basically double the annual V12 production, so I believe that 40% will mainly consist of entry level cars (i.e. V6+turbo)

And if the next hypercar is v12 sans electric assist it must be something amazing to improve upon the LaFerrari...

so, if V12 is no longer regular production then it is only Icona models?

and, could it be that the next Ferrari hypercar is V8 turbo+ electric? Or, downsized V12+electric/

16. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It’s not F167

It’s F173... V8 TT hybrid AWD.

I’m calling it Testarossa Tribute, but looking forward to hearing it’s official name

17. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    If we mention Quattroruote, in the introduction video to the May issue they refer to a new Ferrari that will be in their July issue.

The timing matches the introduction of the BB at the end of May.

of2worlds and F140C like this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I would say that referring to a V12 family insinuates regular production:

'Technically the V8 is difficult to keep alive but we are working on this, and in the mid-term we can maintain three families: V12 naturally-aspirated, V8 turbo and V6 turbo.’
    https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/ferrari/f8-tributo/

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Sorry I don't get it

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    However this turns out, Leiters sounds like a proper guy.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Manzoni should worry more about how to design a shape that looks flowing, organic and sexy and a lot less about where an engineer would place an engine. Maybe he's too busy pondering Ferrari's product line offerings while he adds the next flap, gill or other add-on to a PF design. :eek:

day355 and crinoid like this.
  22. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Got an invite. Total of 38 hrs of flying in and out for just couple of hrs fun.
    Will it worth it?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds, crinoid and G. Pepper like this.
  23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Everyone has his personal taste, but I consider F12, Portofino and Pista really great looking cars. 812 and F8 are good too. 488 standard is passable. I don't like just the FF, but I have to say that the restyling Lusso is a great step forward,

So I like a lot Flavio Manzoni design.

As for the engine position, let me say that the Ferrari flagship has to be a top performance car: the 812 S can be the GT flagship (there will be a lower sister, the Portofino Coupè/Dino) but really couldn't go on with a front engine as top Ferrari Sport car, as the Pista is much faster (and easier) on an handling track.

Even the Corvette will have a mid engine later this year.

ciao

24. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Well, everyone has his/her own tastes. I personally like what he's achieved so far, given the aero requirements of the engineering team, even if I'd lie if I told you that I'm a fan of the 812's inlets near the headlights (and the way those look) or of the F8's rear (still have to see one in person, so I might change my mind later on).

Speaking of BB, I obviously hope it will be stellar, design-wise, with a huge wow factor, even if I really struggle to see a "spaceship" under all that camo.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    If you are waiting a Lamborghini SVJ spaceship design like , I guess you will be disappointed.
    I' m just expecting a clean sporty design for BB .