355 - Hikari LED H4/9003 Headlight Bulbs... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Hikari LED H4/9003 Headlight Bulbs...

Discussion in '348/355' started by F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No i dont think so it was Brian
    I think everyone was trying to be helpful more or less
    I never knew about the difference but after reading the report from cover to cover all it really did was say exactly what you summarized which was less dispersion and more direct for euro.

From what i see i think JBs bulbs ona euro light may be the best solution for many.

Like him in canada i would like similar lights for animals but at the end of the day brighter is allways better no matter which lens you have.
    His bulbs in euro lights would likely be very good because the extra brightness would give you very good distance and the extra brightness would allso give extra brightness in the dispersed area as well.

In my pickup i used to have KC lights set for about 250m at each ditch just for animals and it saved many close calls but suprisingly it also made you realize how many animals you normally would not see and therefore would not have slowed down a bit to begin with.

There is also a good wrightup in here with the lumens recorded on diff bulbs. I wish we could somehow add the data from JBs

F1ScuderiaTifosi likes this.
  2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Did I miss something Rob
    You said until today the the osram were the best
    What is the best now??

3. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This video was made on Nov 1st, 2018, since then nobody complained on the low beam. (no single motorists flashed me)

Due to the fact that the light distribution with an aftermarket xenon bulb in the low beam projector unit is much better than with aftermarket LED bulbs, beam pattern & cutoff line are also much better. This setup does not blind and irritate other motorists at all even with 3,4 times more light on the road AND 0,5% headlight inclination angle which is very low but the legal minimum in The Netherlands.

This xenon setup provides the best and brightest low beam light on the road for the driver including large distance view and if you need to see whats on the sides of the roadway, light distribution is key in a projector unit.

You will blind and irritate other motorists by default with high beam. However the same rules apply for high beam, better light distribution provided more light on then road and better cutoff line and less irritation to other motorists.

BTW I am not expecting any problems with the last Wednesday May 1st low beam upgrade that provided 4.1 times more light than standard 55W halogen, however I must admid with 7 times more high beam light output (than halogen) you will blind yourself due to road sign reflections. 35W xenon would be more than enough for high beam, and LED would also work fine.

Anyway I am not using the high beam that much at all, the low beam provides enough light now.

My Xenon configuration cost USD 61,00 and is available in multiple color temperatures.

I am glad your are happy with your Hikari LED H4/9003 Headlight Bulbs.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  6. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I was unable to find any aftermarket H1 Led Bulb that provide more light output on the road (with the 348 projector headlight) than the OSRAM Silverstar 2 halogen bulb.

If you want to stay with halogen bulbs, Osram Silverstar 2 (59,2W power consumption +30% more light and large distance lightning with low beam) is a good and save solution. I used those for 17 years and it did not burn my 348 headlight unit in low or hight beam.

I was searching for more light output with LED bulbs but was unable to find any (Philips zes, Cree, COB, you name it up to 40W power per led bulb)
    I tested a 10 year old H1 Xenon set which performed immediately much better with the F348 headlights.
    Investigated further the LED situation (I tested H1 LED bulb up to 7800 lumen per bulb in different projector units) and concluded on Fact #6.
    Last I optimised the xenon set for the 348 headlight and archived 4.1 times more low beam light output than standard 55W halogen bulb.
    The maximum I archived with a H1 LED bulb was 1.3 times more low beam light output over standard 55W Halogen

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Osram claims the nightbreaker is better now, whats your experience?
    I believe these are also HIR

8. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    It'd be interesting to see how that combination would workout.

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Here are pics of the EURO and US headlamps. The more ribbed pattern on the US lights suggests that they disperse the low beam more than the EURO ones.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you don't mind that there is no "Ferrari" written on the lens, you can get Volvo truck headlights at EURO 133.00 (http://www.truck-parts.nu/koplampen-volvo/530-de-koplamp-h1-met-gemonteerde-24v-gloeilampen-hella-flc-fl6.html). However, I don't know what dispersal they have.

Here's another Volvo truck headlight but it is more expensive (GBP 175 - https://www.swedishtruckpartsshop.co.uk/v8419-complete-headlamp-flc-fl6-os-4532-p.asp)

10. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Thanks. The ribbing design differences are easily discernible. Are these your personal headlamps?

I noticed you're from Malaysia. I know it's very humid there. Do you take any precautionary steps to prevent corrosion due to the higher moisture content in y'alls air? We reside in Texas Hill Country/Central Texas. It get's humid here, not quite Asia humid but humid enough. When I park my GTB I place two EvaDry E-333 Dehumidifiers in the passenger compartment and two in the trunk. I'm just curios what, if at all, other owners do to take care of their rides.

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #36 Ferrarium, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    LED upgrade thread, not sure if you saw it.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/upgraded-my-headlights-to-leds.509046/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-9006-LED-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-60w-CREE-6000K-White-Light-Bulbs/141745970338

This tests lights with a light-meter, not sure if you saw it, may help others it was tricky to find.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-348-355-light-thread-oem-vs-ge-nighthawk-vs-hir-vs-hid.171084/

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think that bottom one was the one i posted because we used it years ago
    See post 29

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The EURO and US headlamps I showed are pictures from the internet. I saved them when I was looking for spare headlamps for my UK spec 348 and that was when I found out that Volvo truck (and some Volvo and Scania buses) use similar Hella headlights as the 348's.

To fight the humidity here, I use Dri-It pouches. They last for about 2-3 months and each will absorb about 200 mL of water over the period. I also tried silica gel 900 grams boxes (by Hydroabsorbent Products, USA; you can dry them in the oven and re-use) but they don't absorb as much as the Dri-It pouches.

14. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    This thread was super helpful to me so just chiming in that the Hikari Acme-X 2022 9005 and 9006 bulbs fit my headlights w no issues and work great. Plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Todays LEDs are amazing!!! Much much better then a few years ago.
    I run them also but still dont hold a candle to high power HID system but my latest system I did was about $2k + in parts not including a weeks labor
    LEDs for the win :)

16. iPlane

iPlane Karting

Jul 22, 2009
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Sorry for reviving this post from the catacombs of f-chat. I am also considering fitting LED bulbs to my euro 348, which I understand are H1s.

There's something that is holding me back, so I'd appreciate feedback from someone with first-hand experience.
    1. LED bulbs usually come with a large heatsink in the back. How did you guys go about fitting the bulbs in the headlight enclosure, and actually getting to screw the cap back to the enclosure? I imagine the heatsink will protrude too much and prevent the cap from fitting against the enclosure, right?
    2. Not sure about the US headlights, but the euro headlights come with some sort of three-pole plug. This is different than the plugs that LED bulbs normally have. How did you guys manage to make them play together? Did you chop off the car's plug and splice the cables? Or did you find some other non-permanent solution?
    Also, what is the current consensus on the best H1 LED bulb out there in 2023? The reviews I find across internet don't seem to be too trustworthy, as most of them simply try to resell some Amazon products.

Thanks for the help!