458 brake failure | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 brake failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ATran, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yeah, well every man made object can fail. Even brakes on F1 cars fail. It's not a frequent occurence though.

2. eberro

eberro Rookie

Jun 23, 2015
    Yes I had the same thing happen to me on a 458. The brake pedal went solid when I pressed it and ever increasing amounts of pressure would barely slow the car.
    Ferrari refused to admit there was anything wrong, so I hired an external engineer who worked at the highest level of the car industry.
    Hi hired a 458 and replicated Brake Booster valve failure and got exactly the same results as me .
    Ferrari claim the brake booster can’t fail on the 458 but it seems to fail too often for comfort . I know for certain people have lost their lives as a result of this failure .
    With the booster , which multiplies your pedal force by at least 6 times at the callipers, you would need to press at least 6 times harder than you expect to get the normal braking force. On the road, when you are taken by surprise by the failure , you just can’t do that . Trust me . I know .

3. eberro

eberro Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

You need to trust me on this ....The brakes on the 458 fail .....Mine did and it changed the life of many people .
    Of course Ferrrai said it could never happen.
    Yet .....It did happen . On the public road . Commuting to work . Not fast . Just no brakes or at least an unexpected failure of the booster .

andrewecd and Melvok like this.
  4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I had brake failure on the Hockenheim circuit after 10 rounds …

Every next round at the same hairpin, after 50 meters the brakes were working perfectly again .. 8 more rounds …

Techs said it's a ABS Ecu fault.

5. eberro

eberro Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

I had failure of the brakes ( or at least it felt that way ) on my way to work, on a road I had driven 1000 times. The car had been driven for 30 minutes, very gently and was travelling at 50 mph when the brake pedal went rock solid and there was no noticeable deceleration. The car rolled for 100 metres until it crashed.
    I had a lot of external investigation done because Ferrari refused to accept that it could ever happen ( yet it did ) and obviously blamed driver error. ( I had driven for 30 years without an incident ) The conclusion was that the brake booster valve failed. It appears to happen more than anyone would like to admit.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Is there any upgraded part or fix?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Subscribed. This is concerning.

sampelligrino likes this.
  8. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Also subscribed...

9. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had my brakes checked several times on 458 cause I never had a good feeling with them.
    Sometimes their braking power was really very very weak.
    On 488 much better.

10. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Also subscribed.

Looking at getting a 458 in a year, but this finding is concerning. If this is a real defect, its the worst type you can have because it seems to be unpredictable and the manufacturer is reluctant to investigate it seriously. Consider how many incidents and complaints there are and how many client-miles driven out there for this vehicle. If this happened in a Ford pickup, it would be far more visible. Seems like a brake booster wouldnt be the most painful recall for manufacturer (beats swapping the entire frame on my old truck!)

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I drove my 458 quite hard and never experienced this in over 3 years and about 10,000 miles. However, I did have a brake booster fail on another (non-Ferrari) car once and the sudden loss of assistance can feel like you have no brakes.

Because the ECU can modulate the brakes in certain circumstances, I wonder if turning ESC-OFF would have an impact? Or perhaps clearing the ECU with a battery disconnect?

On a highly computerized car, I personally think clearing the ECU ever few months is good practice. With over 35 years in the computer programming field, I can tell you that even the best programmers can write code that overflows a stack or has memory leaks and/or memory can just end up with slight parity errors over time, etc. Sure we routinely run Unix severs for a year or two without a reboot, but I'm also not driving my OpenBSD sever down the highway at 100+

I used to reset my 458, every so often, just for good measure. With my 360, I'd reset it once a month like clock work.

Ray

12. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    A reset three four times a year is a good idea ;)

RayJohns likes this.
  13. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Subscribed

14. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We had a 458 go off the track at tight turn 2 at a F track day. No deceleration at all and hit the wall. We were told at the time by the organisers (driver was whisked away to hospital for checks) he must have hit the brake and accel at the same time!
    You know what sprung to my mind..!

Melvok likes this.
  15. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I did bypass the 458 after my friends episode and things like above and bought a 488.
    So far so good. I do push on track days and only thing is pedal feels a bit soft sometimes.

16. eberro

eberro Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

I had the same problem with my Spider with terrible consequences. Pedal went solid. Lost almost all braking. Certainly in an emergency situation it felt like there was no brakes, even if what happened was a loss of the Brake Booster. Ferrari claims it can never happen. It seems to happen way too often.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. eberro

eberro Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

Yep...When my Spider crashed and Ferrari were brought in ( there was a Court case ), they claimed it was impossible for this to fail.....Yet it did, and it does for many others too.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Is this different than the AVH/brake issue that some 488 owners have been reporting on here? Wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Did you determine the cause? Was it a booster problem or a problem with the vacuum lines or check valves, or perhaps a software glitch.

I would imagine that if were due to a software glitch that after the failure, with a restart , the system was in proper working order.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Booster failure seems a very likely cause given how some 488 brake failures have been described (hard pedal and virtually no braking power)...

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I guess either way a Ferrari production road car should not do that

IMO it’s a very eye opening matter, ala takata airbag maybe, if you have situations where a modern Ferrari is on the road with inoperable brakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If vacuum was lost could that produce a hard pedal with no play and no stopping power?

Or what about a software glitch?

The same brake booster part is used in both the 458 and 488

23. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I had my brake booster fail on my 458 challenge couple of weeks ago. I was still able to get almost all the braking on it, but it took a much larger effort on the pedal. Like pushing down as hard as you possibly can. According to the data, I still had almost the same g load in deceleration as I have with the booster.We replaced both the booster and master cylinder (about $500 in parts and took us a couple of hours to do, not hard at all) and they are back to normal.

As it is a challenge car, its some what faster to replace, as we don't have a lot of cosmetic panels to deal with and the seat comes out easily for good access to the brake pedal linkage. A street car will be the same principal, but probably a few more tasks to complete.

I was told that root cause on failing boosters is a small leak in the master cylinder that allows some brake fluid to get on the booster diaphragm, which eats away at the rubber and causes a vacuum leak.

Not sure if this has any bearing on the OP's situation, but its a data point for consideration.

of2worlds and Viperjoe like this.
  24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Did your car have any previous episodes or other symptoms? On start up, was the pedal rock hard and were you unable to engage a gear?

25. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Didn’t affect gear selection at all, as the challenge car is programmed differently than the street car. The pedal was hard, but it always is hard in the challenge car.

I actually liked the manual feel of the brakes, on track it was easier to get a sense of what the contact patch was doing. Just too much effort. In a real manual setup, the master cylinder would probably be sized differently. Still have more effort, but not to this point. We could actually see the sheet metal of the firewall flex when I tested it and put in the same pedal force. I was probably pushing with a couple of hundred pounds.

of2worlds likes this.