Is the Monza selling? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is the Monza selling?

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by BarryK, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex Clark

Alex Clark Rookie

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You can get a "show" permit and drive them up to 2,500 miles a year in the US. I don't think I will drive mine nearly that much so I'm OK with that restriction.

unogib likes this.
  2. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    My understanding is show and display is not going to be an option, any more than I can get show and display on my non road legal 488 challenge. Just like Zonda, where people have been trying for years.

thoke likes this.
  3. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    What's the problem with Zondas, if I may ask?

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    No issue with the Zonda car (one of the greatest cars I’d all time) it’s just that many people have tried getting the show and display and they won’t allow it. There are several Zondas in the USA but they are running a risk of the cars being impounded.

5. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    To get a show and display permit the car must meet epa standards (which the Monza should as it’s the same engine as the Superfast), be out of production, have no more than 500 units produced.

Someone will get a show permit and display permit done after production ends and all of the Monzas will be eligible because if one vehicle is certified it’s simple to have the same model permitted. There are currently many car models on the list. Not sure why the Zonda was refused, maybe it couldn’t be epa certified.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Senna XP likely to be the same, 10 units in production.

7. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    The Monza is pretty much an 812 though, it's just +10hp and the same weight pretty much

I can't see it having much better lap times than the 812.

it's beautiful but 1.7m is just bad value for money ignoring resale opportunity

roma1280 and nads like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its a very cool product for the market segment that doesnt care all that much about the money - more power to those folks!

Bret Curtis, of2worlds and roma1280 like this.
  9. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Where do these folks end and special project folks begin? What would someone in the latter have had to pony up with to come up with a 1 of 1 of something similar. Do the economics of this scale of build require amortization over 500 people? If you plan on buying multiple vehicles from this series over time, it doesn't take many vehciles to be in the budget range of true exclusivity does it?

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    a true one off is prob 3 to 5M.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If you have $4/5m for a one off, i would think you can write checks for a Monza without caring too much if it deeps below MSRP.

The SP cars are total unknown in the 2nd market. The first one was that SP30 and it didnt sell at 2.2m$.

12. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Agreed. They aren't building you one offs without taking deliveries of all the other beautiful cars as well.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont know about - show up to the factory and tell then you are willing to spend 5m on a car that costs them 200k to make - i think theyre gonna listen

roma1280 likes this.
  14. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    It'd be an interesting discussion. Especially when you are already talking about buying a car (for at least in the U.S.) you can't drive on the road. If you are indeed in the ballpark of semi blank page coach building on a platform.

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Do those people really exist? Rich people are generally rich because they care about money!

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    every house owned by someone that costs more than $2 or 3M is due to ego - so yes they exist! having 200m is different than having 50m. at 200M id buy a monza, why not.

uhn2000 and roma1280 like this.
  17. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    SP programme isn't just about money. You have to be a long term client and someone who enjoys living the brand, being part of it.. more than a "simple" collector who buys everything you can throw at him/her.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    again, walk into a dealer as a new customer and spend 3 or 4M in one sitting and i bet you can get an SP
    (in the USA at least)

19. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    One-off programme is not just build unique car but is special relationship between client and factory, is for very lovers for brand not for spéculative investment

JagShergill and F140C like this.
  20. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    I understand. I was considering the strict economic proposition and viability of a SP taken to the Monza degree.

21. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    #71 F140C, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Indeed. It's about the relationship, something that money alone can't buy or build in much shorter times.

"To begin with, they need to be long term Ferrari clients, who enjoy being part of the Ferrari life and brand. More than just a client, they effectively embody the marque. Most importantly, this type of client goes beyond being just a collector, taking pleasure in participating in Ferrari's strategies and values. It is only for this type of person that Ferrari agrees to build the car of their dreams, a unique car created to their exact specifications" -

^ Amedeo Felisa (from the intro of the "Prototipo" movie about the P80/C).

From that point of view (money), yes, it doesn't take much to be in that range. A couple of tailor-made Icona models and you're not far away.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    My point was whether it’s a second, or a second and a half slower than the LaFerrari which is the holy grail of lapping at Fiorano, it will be a blast to drive this open air 810 hp V12 which is actually lighter than the carbon bodied La Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I have a good friend who's had a lot of classic Ferraris and used to race back in the 1960s. I asked him one day what was the car that he was offered to buy and should have done - he replied a 330 P4. :eek:

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    +1.
    It doesn't necessarily take a long time and multiple purchases to be "allowed" a Special project.
    It's all about the money and enough of it thrown at them gets you that "special" relationship very quick........
    In the post Montezemolo era in particular.