Stolen Ferrari | FerrariChat

Stolen Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 82otto, Apr 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 82otto

82otto Rookie

Oct 27, 2016
    CA
    Hi Ferrari friends just putting the word out to maybe get some help my 2006 Ferrari F430 spider F1 just got stolen on 4-20-19 from Costa Mesa Ferrari independent 2148 Newport blvd Costa Mesa CA his name is Mike do not take your car to him he has no surveillance or alarm system so I’m putting this out in hopes to get any information I would be so grateful it is red with black convertible top interior is black and red with lots of carbon fiber work! i can send pictures if needed Thank you!

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How does car get stolen when Ferrari Imobilizers are so lame they prevent owners from starting their cars?

3. 82otto

82otto Rookie

Oct 27, 2016
    CA
    It was at his shop he had the keys to the car

thoke likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Are you saying it was an inside job, or that it was an unfortunate break in and theft?

They have pretty decent reviews, and have discussed here before on FChat.

Sorry either way, as the feeling of having something stolen is not a good feeling I would guess.

Hope you have luck finding it before it's chopped and long gone.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A Ferrari being stolen is very unusual. I have a very good alarm system and am very security minded but one of the cars being taken is kind of low on my list of exposure. More than a little surprised on a few counts. It is also why my insurance company fully understands I am in the Ferrari business. Many shops are less forthcoming.

Hope you get well served by the insurance companies.

SonomaRik, Texas Forever and AClark like this.
  6. jcdeng

jcdeng Rookie

Aug 27, 2015
    His shop has insurance right? if yes then his insurance should pay for it. I am guessing the rant is due to the shop owner trying to make your insurance cover the stolen vehicle? If thats the case lawyer up.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Here in Florida the car owners insurance pays. The insurance company will subrogate against the shop. At least that’s how it worked for me. Had a Tahoe stolen from a dealer and a 911 wrecked at an indy shop.

Bowzer, Shamile and AClark like this.
  8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That could be a BAR requirement to have adequate insurance. Someone should check.

AClark likes this.
  9. Franz123

Franz123 Rookie

Apr 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Franz Welch
    Did they recovered the stolen Ferrari?

10. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Im confused , its his car , that he has insurance on. His car was stolen... his insurance.

If the shop did something TO his car , then the shop insurance would pay.

Just like if lightning were to strike or there is a hail storm , its an act of god, car owner insurance covers it, regardless where the car is.

Yes?

11. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Does a shop owner have to keep insurance to protect your car against anything that could happen to a customer car? No matter what?

What keeps someone from dropping their car off and just “stealing “ it back if the shop has to pay for it ?

A

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not that I was ever aware of. I know of many with no insurance.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Been done.

No insurance required by any regulation I am aware of.

AClark likes this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even in California, the vehicle insurance is typically primary.

15. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The shop i had my 911 at had no insurance. I had no idea. My insurance paid my claim immediately and sued the shop.
    Very few shops here have proper insurance for things like this.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know.

I was dropped by 4 insurance companies because I work on Ferraris. Zero claims and perfect driving record. At one time I rented the corner of a very large industrial building from a very large body shop. Their insurance dropped them because I had Ferraris on the other side of the wall.

I pay a lot for insurance for the privilege of working on other people Ferraris and yet some here feel they have the right to complain about prices getting their cars fixed. F##k them.

I have insurance.....many do not.

2NA, TheMayor, davemqv and 7 others like this.
  17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Interesting. I note that the OP only has 2 posts ever on the site and that was 10 days ago. Crickets since then. Went on it appears to say nasty things about the repairer. I recall a similar thread about a year ago when there was a car stolen from Newport Ferrari, just down the road from this repairer. The OP there started the thread just to blackball the dealer and to try to leverage the dealer into giving them a new car as a replacement for the old stolen car.

I feel for anyone who has their car stolen. But it does happen (especially in Newport Beach, California it seems!)

SAFE4NOW, Nospinzone and dannyrchou like this.
  18. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Same here. We would say specifically high end exotic cars on the application and they would cancel the policy right after the first inspection. We ended up with an umbrella policy and we pay an excess umbrella policy for every million over our base policy.

In NY the owners insurance would pay first and sue the shops garage keepers insurance. It covers cars stored, transported, and test driven.

Knock on wood but I've never heard of a Ferrari being stolen. I work on them for a living and still fight with the POS alarms. I'm more worried about our equipment, trailer, or tow truck getting stolen.

Haha well said. I hear all the time "my detailer scratched my car or ripped my paint off with clear film and doesn't have insurance". You pay a grown man that only takes cash $50 dollars to wash your car at home and your surprised he doesn't have insurance.....

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Exactly. In California they had 90 days to evaluate a newly insured. Despite saying up front I worked on Ferrari 3 dropped me in that 90 days. One stayed a year and would not renew. Each more expensive than the last. Actually dealer insurance is easy and less expensive but never wanted to jump through hoops for a dealer license. Body shop got dropped at renewal when the inspection was done and they saw my shop. If not for umbrellas it would be tough.
    Like you, always considered tools, shop equipment etc a higher risk. Getting a Ferrari stolen is very suspicious.

2NA, SAFE4NOW and Texas Forever like this.
  20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

22. 82otto

82otto Rookie

Oct 27, 2016
    CA
    Yes they recovered the car in Lake Elsinore abandoned on the side of the road

23. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    When Ferrari's get stolen, it isn't the usual type theft. What are you actually going to do with it? It's not like you are going cruising. They just don't normally get stolen.

My car is usually with my sight and I can't remember the last time I locked it.

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Was it damaged? Keys with it?

25. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    I could have swore I saw a red F430 with rear challenge grill on the 15 fwy about a week ago.