1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart) | Page 50 | FerrariChat

1/12 models (Tamiya/Kyosho/Autoart)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by mattymouse33, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Looks good man. I still want to know how the pros make it fit? Someone please chime in!

Looks great! I’ve got about 24 1/18 F1 cars I need to bite the bullet and display.

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    GREAT walls Tom!!

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice Tom. I have some of the same style cases and I love them. Best way to show off a collection. If they are good enough for a bakery they are good enough for a model car collection. :) (Same case makers do Baked goods displays)

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Looks like a good book. I have the Porsche official 917 book... and got it signed by Redman, Dicky Attwood, & Derek Bell & David Piper... I wanted to make a copy of Pipers car - but it would have required too much making my own decals. such a nice guy.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I like them as they keep the dust to a minimum... the plastic models get so fragile over time. I wish I could find ones nice enough for the 1/8 scale ones... but they are too bulky. what is not shown is my Pocher Rolls Royce and Fiat...

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    So Norev is now working on their 3rd and 4th 1/12th models, the Jaguar XKE series 1's. They are at 100% duplication of what other companies have already just released, although their models are cheaper than the competition they duplicated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I just don't understand the thinking, or lack of thinking with these companies duplicating, especially large scale pieces. However.....looking at this one image, it appears that these might be better E-Type models than the ones from GT Spirit. Wheels look better (real wire spokes vs. photo etch), and tires also look to be more accurate in size, and side window trim looks better too. I'll wait to see more, but I might replace my GT Spirit E-Type with the Norev piece.....

11. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    The unmarked tire sidewalls -no tire manufacturer engravings are a glaring missing feature on a model in this scale; hopefully Norev will change this before production. I was looking forward to the GT Spirit E type roadster in blue, but the dashboard center area is only a decal-no switchgear- poor planning by them and another dealbreaker for me! They keep finding ways to make it cheaper, instead of improving their releases...............

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think the wheels look better also, but they may still be photoetch. I think I can see a slot for the outside wires, not holes. Still better engineering that GT Spirit. That reminds me, I still have to finish my Cunningham Jaguar 1962 Lemans coupe. I have 9 1/12th resin/diecast conversions in the process right now, but 3 are almost done and I finished 2 a few months ago so making progress.

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Norev had a Bugatti T35 in 1/12th on display at the toy show and CMR were supposed to do another 1/12th GTO. Have not heard any other news on those 2 models.

14. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I continue to be amazed that some of the modelers don't seem to be checking their work as they go along. Do they make models from photographs or only check real-world examples for accuracy at car shows? I can see taking shortcuts for mass produced models as toys, but not for limited edition premium priced models that are expected to border on classic automobile art.

15. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    As long as suckers buy the crap; they will sell it- simple as that.

16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Yes, tire sidewall are plain, but sidewall height is better. Amazing with all of them.... it's like taking a step forward and then a step backward. Something gets improved, and something else suffers!

I have the GT Spirit E-Type coupe which is pretty good, and being a closed car the poor interior detail much less noticeable than in the open roadster, which besides the very poor interior, also has the wrong size windshield frame, and tires too small. GT Spirit falls very far short of all their claims. Most of what they make now I just view as big cheap toy-like pieces cranked out like sausages. They started out strong with their 1:18 models (I had some of the first ones for my review columns), and then they started to cheapen them, same thing with their 1:12th pieces..... Mercedes 300 SL Roadster was quite good, and same for their Porsche 911 2.7 Carrera, and then the Aston Martin DB5...... things started going downhill with their E-Type coupe.....

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Tom, I always enjoy seeing your great work. Wish I had the extra time to build some pieces for myself.

18. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  19. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This looks like the GT Spirit Miura in a different color. "NEW" 1/12th Miura by Kyosho with no opening panels and must be resin.

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    It's the exact same, flawed, resin model. Kyosho and GT Spirit partner on some models.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I wonder if the bonnet closes correctly this time :)

24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Nice that they are trying to step up their game a little with the 250 SWB opening panels, but…..unfortunately that model still has ALL the same flaws and inaccuracies as before.

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Porsche 935 K3 coming from Top Marques in 1/12th scale. Of all the 935's this one is the ugliest in my opinion but they do have a lot of options. The Lemans winner and Apple car would be cool for some collectors.

gt4me likes this.