Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 108 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [AMuS] Racing Point denies rumors that Juan Pablo Montoya is Lance Stroll's new mental coach. "He was only a guest in our garage," the team says. AMuS have learnt that Montoya is applying for the job.

Nortonious likes this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I hope that this is a joke.
    In his prime JPM was a stone-cold killer but that was eons ago. He arrived at Indianapolis as a rookie and was exhorted by veterans(Al Jr. notably) to "respect" the speedway. He ignored them all and just walked away with the race. At one time he was intimidated by no one and I believed he was a potential WDC. JPM got chubby and comfortable and lost the hunger to win.

Bas likes this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I am not saying they should anywhere in anything Ive linked.

william and Bas like this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    SpanishGP 2019 Race....Stroll and Norris take each other out on lap 51?? or 52??. Both DNF.

Looks like a racing incident.

william and 375+ like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I never said you did.
    Stroll is the driver everyone loves to hate.
    Maldonado was the previous whipping boy in F1 ...

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Norris stuck nose inside, Stroll didn't have to give room but Norris basically left it up to Stroll to have an accident or not.

Racing incident.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed - but it makes me wonder about Stroll’s situational awareness and whether he thought he would have enough speed to be farther in front of Norris as they turned in.

Of course it is easy to criticize - but sometimes I think Stroll just hasn’t “gotten his head around” F1 cars and the (considerable) differences with other series.

Bas likes this.
  8. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Racing incident yes but this one is not on Stroll , Norris should have backed off , wasn’t close enough

william likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not close enough, and then too close !!!

10. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    You can’t expect the car being passed to give you room all the time , especially when you are not in a position to pass cleanly and the car in front is on the racing line .

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are right; I think Norris' attempt was a bit ... optimistic to say the least, seen from the inbord camera on his car.

But most of the commentary was initially unfair towards Stroll.

12. Indeed. The very least. I've given up hoping for Stroll, but this one's totally on Norris.

LVP488 likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's worked for quite a few this weekend in lower categories. Also went wrong a few times in the same corner in the same way. Had Norris done this on a more ''aware'' driver (Kimi or Ricciardo for example) they both would've gone through and if the defending driver played his cards right would still have the better exit and come out ahead by T5 still.

Alas this is Stroll we're dealing with so there really was only 1 likely outcome.

Hence, racing incident.

14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Stroll: ‘Not enough space for two cars’ in Norris crash

Lance Stroll says there was no way for him to avoid the collision with Lando Norris which put both of them out of the race.

The pair tangled in turn two as Norris was trying to overtake the Racing Point driver on his inside.

“I braked on the inside while he was on the outside and then I had to turn in to make the left hand corner,” Stroll explained. “Unfortunately there is not enough space for two cars and there was not much I could do. I felt contact on my rear and I was sent into the gravel.”

However Norris accused his rival of failing to leave enough room for him.

“I was on the outside in turn one, he knew I was there, he defended into turn one,” said the McLaren driver. “After that – I don’t know if he saw me after going into turn two but I was still on the inside of turn two and he just turned in, didn’t leave me enough space basically, and he kind of pushed the front of my car and he put himself out of the race and me out of the race as well.

“I’m a bit annoyed that I didn’t get to finish my fifth grand prix. But in the the end of the day we weren’t in the points so it didn’t cost us as much as what it could have done.”

The stewards spoke to both drivers and ruled the collision was a racing incident.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/12/stroll-not-enough-space-for-two-cars-in-norris-crash/

15. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I agree with you to a certain point , the onus is on the passing driver to pass cleanly , just to stick your nose in there and expect the leading car to give you room is a little overly optimistic . Also, as the lead driver, you have to send a message that you can't be passed that easily , Max does that a little too much but at the same time you can't just open the door to a following car just because he is close, then you get classified as a ***** . Racing incident for sure , both misjudged each other but it is on Lando , he was nowhere close enough to try and pass on that corner

Bas and Nuvolari like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I also agree with you, to a certain point...Lando was side by side in T1, and still had his front wheels alongside Stroll in turn 2....not because he kept on the throttle and his nose found a way in, but it was continued onwards from T1, Stroll never really got ahead enough to call it ''his'' corner (like he seems to do in his post race commentary). Had Lando stuck his nose in my keeping the throttle nailed then it was his fault.

More experienced drivers defending (or even less experienced I guess at this point, with both in F2 and F3 races both cars managed to make it through side by side without crashing) shows it was possible and even come ahead victorious defending, as Stroll would have momentum on his side and can force Lando to take a **** line into T3.

Alas it's Stroll we're talking about and he has his limitations.

I'm not given any driver here the full blame. A racing incident and I'm glad it's not punished.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    the incident was one of the few moments i saw from the race..funny thing was when teh stroller was out of the cat for his usual 2stroll" a fan puts thumbs up for him, whe he was passing by...now the wustion

1 -was he giving stroll the thumbs up for his excelent race?
    2-was he giving stroll the thumbs up like (nice going jack, you ****ed up again)?

18. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    We both have a point , i guess the stewards see it that way too and i am glad there were no penalties assessed too . Lando will come around , not sure about the other tool.

375+ and Bas like this.
  19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    While I agree with this, Lance just moved over knowing he was there. Lance had 2 choices

1) give up the corner
    2) crash

He decided on 2.

DF1 likes this.
  20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Norris could have taken the approach Grossjean used multiple times and avoided the conflict. He (Norris) chose to push it.

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Drivers need to assert themselves with their competitors that they won't jump out of the way whenever someone gets close. I think Stroll did well to hold his position and Lando was optimistic in his attempt. In future he and others know Lance is not a pushover in a pass situation. The stewards got it right to deem it a racing incident and take no further action. I for one was stunned at the length of the safety car period after such a minor collision. Sign of the times I suppose.

DF1 and jcurry like this.
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I completely agree. BUT Lance also had a choice once Norris made his move.

I agree Norris made a bad choice but Lance also could have avoided a crash. The fact that the stewards called it a "racing incident" proves both were to blame. If it was one or the other for sure someone would have been penalized.

Norris started it, Lance finished it. Both driver's out.

stavura, DF1 and Bas like this.
  23. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If Lance had backed off, especially since he had position, he would be getting criticism that he didn't have the cajones to be an F1 driver (see post #2696)

bmwracer and Nuvolari like this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Correct. He is a driver. Not a racer :)

stavura and 375+ like this.
  25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I don't think he is an f.1 driver..he just drives f.1s...