Rear shock absorber lower bolt/pin won't come out | FerrariChat

Rear shock absorber lower bolt/pin won't come out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Chopperman, May 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    Rear shock absorber lower bolt/pin does not want to seem to want to come out.
    I don't like belting things with drifts and hammers. Yes I've soaked it over several days in release penetrant.
    The YouTube videos don't show the bolt being removed and the diagram that I have does not show a thread being in the end of the bolt where the tie rod is attached.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

um.... i use hammers all the time on this particular job. nothing else would do it

Chopperman likes this.
  3. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    I used Spring compressors to take the load off the lower bolt and persuaded it out with a drift and lump hammer.
    Yep, it was corroded in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley
    24000rpm. Thank you for your advice as it gave me the idea to lift the load from the pin and you confirmed it needed to belt it out as it was corroded in.
    It came through to my email and I have tried to reply to you through Ferrarichat but I cannot find it.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

where did you get the spring compressor? any link?

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am a little confused.

1) what model car?
    2) is it the lower shock mounting bolt? or the drop link mounting point?

If you are not comfortable with hammer, you need to walk away and let someone else do the hammering.

7. Chopperman

Chopperman Karting

Nov 21, 2018
    Weston Super Mud
    Full Name:
    Gary Priestley

Lower shock bolt

Been handling hammers and tools since my teens. Aircraft apprentice and served many years building, repairing and maintaining aircraft and cars which I also restore.

The spring compressor is a standard shock absorber spring compressor. I think you guys call springs coil overs?