World's Fastest Regular Production 4 Seaters | Page 2 | FerrariChat

World's Fastest Regular Production 4 Seaters

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulchua, May 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #26 paulchua, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    and one more chart with the 'models' collapsed (just moving all derivatives of each model to the very top speed, so all Bently Continentals grouped to the top speed of that nameplate) for ease.

appreciate your comments all, and don't hesitate to continue to critique and challenge these figures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkfxstc likes this.
  2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Interesting just how fast the 456 is... it took 8 years to beat it (looks like the longest span of time in this list). Also, interesting the crazy amount of power and speed from top tier cars since the year 2000. Wow.

Thanks for compiling Paul!

Ruben

paulchua likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Tesla do not have that kind of top speed just yet;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

In that case the s63 coupe I have is a 200mph car and the s65 is a 210 car.

paulchua likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Where is the lusso?

paulchua likes this.
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Paul, are these rankings now for the top 4 seaters for top speed, regardless of year, or still the ones that were 'the fastest in the world' at some time? For instance there are 3 cars listed for 2016?

There was also the Exclusive edition 991.2 TTS which was even faster..and as people have mentioned, the GTC4Lusso, also Portofino...but I think maybe these don't meet the date criteria?

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello, great question. The first list is top speed during periods, the second list and third list need to be updated with Portofino (199mph) GTC4 Lusso at (208mph), but represent fastest by speed regardless of year.

For the 991.2 exclusive edition is 205, and lumped in with 991.

I will update the list and want to thank all that responded, really great feedback and I appreciate it!

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I lumped Lusso and FF together since both have a top speed of 208.

Cheers

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe this is true, a simple software patch should allow this.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Of course it is- my old 06 cl65 topped 215 with a rentech tune and 10.5 1/4 mile. It’s the pagani engine

F456M and paulchua like this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #36 Themaven, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    If we start getting into the theory of fastest German cars retuned, remapped or delimited, measured by speedo, this will become a different thread. All manner of RS and M cars as well as AMGs, and you can tweak lots of other cars also.

Speedos read around 5% fast. so a 300km/h real speed reads at around 315, and self-reported top speeds don't take slope or wind or consistency of extra weight or two-way averages into account. Which is why YouTube is loaded with all manner of top speeds.

So Paul's method of using manufacturer claimed for consistency is going to be the only one that works. Mercedes-AMG doesn't test tyres with 186 mph+ ratings on its sedans so wouldn't allow a patch that completely derestricted. Aftermarket tuners can do it and you can fit 186+Z rated tyres but that makes a tuned car.

Paul - what about RUF Porsche 911 Turbos? Some have four seats, and RUF is certified as a car manufacturer in Germany, not a tuner. Also, Alpina's latest takes on the top 6 and 7 series are 200mph+ cars if delimited, and I think Alpina will do this..

Natkingcolebasket69 and paulchua like this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think the Alpina is also electronically limited. I saw RUF, but purposely took them out because I feel they are 'tuned' Porsche despite RUF being a manufacturer.

Great comments.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Great points!
    So who is the winner the Bentley? I guess it is more usable as far as seats than the RUF?
    Paul what’s ur take?

paulchua likes this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Using Paul's info above and extrapolating via other information, the current fastest four seater car in the world (by claimed top speed) title as at May 2019 is a tie between the Aston DB11 and the Ferrari GTC4Lusso, at 208 mph.

The new Bentley Conti GT comes in at 207. The 209 figure above was for the previous gen Supersports. Expect a new one of these editions announced at Frankfurt in September with a top speed of..maybe 210.

paulchua likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Based on Bently and Forbes I believe it is the Bentley Continental Super sports out in 2017 coming in at 209 mph.

I used manufacturer claims since in today's ultra litigious society, my cynical side feels this would be the only credible source given the financial windfall for owners and hungry trial lawyers can exact with a 'false' claim in a Class Action Suit.

Of course, as evidenced by some comments here, in the real world any number of modifications, weather, driver skill, elevation, heck, even tail winds I'm sure can result in other cars being faster or slower.

To keep things objectively consistent I'm using only Manufacturer Claimed Top speed as the delimiter.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe the 2017 Supersports is still is for sale, but I may be wrong.

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The old Conti is no longer officially for sale in the UK, making the fastest cars for sale here the GTC4Lusso and DB11, at 208 mph.

The old Supersports is still for sale Stateside, making you folks 1mph faster, for the moment. They must have some spare LHD stock..

paulchua likes this.
  18. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Since you are talking top speed, wouldn't the current stock Porsche 911 Turbo S fit in? Claimed top speed of 205 and it does have a factory installed rear seat. :)

Regards,
    Jerry

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yup, #4 on list in post 26.

I am also causing some confusion, I have two ranks. One is outright 'champ' (post #1) and ranked regardless of time period.

Cheers

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To oversimplify, I am comfortable with this basic summation.

Urraco was the champ during the 70s at 160s
    911 Turbo was champ during the 80s at 170s
    456 was the champ during the 90s at 190s
    Continental was the champ during the 00s at 200s
    FF* is the champ during the teens at 208

*I am biased here since the FF is at 208 and Continental is 209, but I stil defer to to the FF since ALL FFs are at 208 wheras only the "Supersports trim" is 1 mph ahead, I give the nod to the FF.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  22. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    I am biased too, but I would never allow a Urraco nor any 911 in this list, as they are not "true 4 seaters" but very cramped 2+2's. I don't fit in the back seat of an Urraco or any 911, but do fit (tightly) into the back seat of an E-type 2+2 and 456 GT. With the same logic I have excluded the 365 GTC/4 from my list, but would include the later 365 GT4 2+2 and the 400/412 or course (basically the same car AND of course in the vintage section the Espada. Wasn't the Espada anyways faster than any Urraco? I thought the Espada was the "world's fastest true four seater" back in the day.

The 456 GT and E-type 2+2's are not comfortable for adults close or beyond six foot tall, but doable for short trips, whereas I could not get out without help from the "back seat" of a 930 nor 993 or 991 and the same applied for an ali bodied Jaguar XKR-S. The Conti's and of course Rapide, Lusso, 612 are all fine for four adults. Still I would not call the E-type 2+2 a "true four seater" even if I do fit in there and do not fit in a 911, but I would call the 456 GT a "true four seater".

I still haven't had a a chance to get to 300km/h with the 456 GT, I think we hit 280 km/h (174mph) on the GPS last summer. :)
    (and only 229km/h / 142mph with the 1972 E-type)

Anybody personally done 200mph with any "true 4-seater"? (322km/h)

Cheers!

randkin and paulchua like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Pekka, thanks so much for your reply. A previous member also brought up that 2+2 should perhaps be not counted. It is a good point. Perhaps a 2+2 list and real '4' seater would be better.

As for the Espada, I believe the top speed was 159, the Urraco was 160+ - but very happy to be corrected.

24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I am probably the only one here who has ridden in the back of an Espada in 1970. My friend's parents went on vacation and we took his Dad Espada out. All I remember is being on the freeway and the car just taking off at 70 mph

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not so fast I have driven and ridden in the back seat of an Espada. It was a 1974/75 car. One of my Porsche friends had the Espada for many years. IMO not so much fun to drive or ride in the back seat and I was much younger and more nimble then.:rolleyes:

Way2fast and paulchua like this.